Sponsored

Strut Tower Brace missing from your engine bay?

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
Anyone know if the straight strut tower brace that goes between just the two strut towers ( you know, the one with GT on it ) fits over the EB engine?
Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Can anyone with a GT convertible post of pic of what braces come standard for comparison?

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
The back black brace is the one that does the work the shock tower brace that goes from tower to tower is pretty useless on its own. The rear one is what makes the front silver one do anything. Triangulation without the back brace there is NO triangulation for the silver brace. The silver brace alone is for looks not performance.

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The back black brace is the one that does the work the shock tower brace that goes from tower to tower is pretty useless on its own. The rear one is what makes the front silver one do anything. Triangulation without the back brace there is NO triangulation for the silver brace. The silver brace alone is for looks not performance.
I figured that was the case. And even though I did it mostly for looks, I figured going with the black brace as well was the right way to go.

:thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Anybody know of any strut tower covers available yet?

I know Classic Design Concepts made a nice set back in 2005/06...

searsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GT Premium, 08 GTCS Convertible, 15 GT Premium, 17 GT Convertible, 19 Ecoboost
Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the nuts? I ordered the silver brace, but didn't realize the need for the black brace also. I really appreciate your help.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the nuts? I ordered the silver brace, but didn't realize the need for the black brace also. I really appreciate your help.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=FRD&Model=MUST&Year=2015&Category=&class_2=FRD&mk=Ford&yr=2015&md=Mustang&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=FCS1294615&itemtype=N

I was planning on this for a late Christmas Present to myself. I would be happy to look it up but I don't have it yet.

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
41 ft-lbs.

searsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GT Premium, 08 GTCS Convertible, 15 GT Premium, 17 GT Convertible, 19 Ecoboost

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Unless you ordered your Mustang GT with a Performance Pack, or the 20" wheel option,

Just to confirm...
The above pictured brace does come with the 20" wheels?
If so, anyone know why?

OP
OP
89Trooper

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just to confirm...
The above pictured brace does come with the 20" wheels?
If so, anyone know why?
The full black brace comes with the 20" wheel option, not the silver Strut Tower Brace.

We have made guesses, but nobody really knows the reason why.

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
The full black brace comes with the 20" wheel option, not the silver Strut Tower Brace.

We have made guesses, but nobody really knows the reason why.
I would hazard to guess that it has to do with increased deflection of the tire/wheel combo translated into the body. The 20" tires have far less sidewall which means a stiffer ride, which means increased deflection. All things being equal, IE no additional suspension mods to account for the 20" combo, this translates into increased shock transferred to the body/frame.

I ordered the 20" tires but was unaware of the additional bracing. Makes sense though.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I would hazard to guess that it has to do with increased deflection of the tire/wheel combo translated into the body. The 20" tires have far less sidewall which means a stiffer ride, which means increased deflection. All things being equal, IE no additional suspension mods to account for the 20" combo, this translates into increased shock transferred to the body/frame.

I ordered the 20" tires but was unaware of the additional bracing. Makes sense though.
Slight correction: increased stiffness means reduced deflection for a given load, or higher loads for a given deflection (which is what you were saying).

I agree that it could be included on the 20" wheel package to help improve NVH and reduce the impact of the higher loads.

-T