Sponsored

Strut Tower Brace missing from your engine bay?

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Sweet but then you also need a nice thick flat washer.
But thanks for the link ...for other options.

Where was that a week or 2 ago!!!
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Sweet but then you also need a nice thick flat washer.
But thanks for the link ...for other options.

Where was that a week or 2 ago!!!
Here's another option.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11510955

It's a flanged nylock nut. It's a class 8.8 (don't confuse that for grade 8... that's SAE), but good enough for this application. Flanged nuts and bolts are nice for assembly, but they're usually more expensive than normal bolts and nuts with washers.

Or Mcmaster, class 10.9
https://www.mcmaster.com/#99908a103/=1bg099h

Mcmaster usually has a higher minimum order though. In this case, 25.

Hopefully this helps anyone in the future. I wish ford would simply list the bolt/nut size, but I kinda understand why they don't as well. You wouldn't want someone to buy some home depot cheese steel bolts in critical areas.

Also, another helpful tip for anyone. Always order more hardware than you need. Never know when you could use it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You just want to make sure you get one with good corrosion protection.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Someone please verify the info in this table, trying to create a central spot where all of the parts and #s are located so we can stop re-asking questions.

This excludes the $179 (going price on ebay) the upper strut tower brace/cowl brace kit from Ford Racing (which includes hardware). These are the parts needed to add the cowl firewall bracket (extension panel and 4 front mount retainer nuts), and the GT PP lower K-brace and plastic shield with oil filter access panel (insulator, lower cross-member, lower crossmember bolts, under cover screws).
cowlbracekbraceparts.png

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Thats nice I agree with your idea. Pictures would be good but not the parts list kind, a real photo. Not needed for the nuts and bolts. Maybe a description for where too? Just suggestions, I really wish the other threads had this type of guide! Good work!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Yeah I can add pics of the pieces installed in their proper locations once I order them all. I can list the torque specs for these bolts, but all I can find are the ones listed in the install guide for the STB (it includes the cowl extension bolt torque and retainer nut torque for STB, don't know lower K-brace torque for the 6 bolts)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI:

The 2018 EcoBoost w/Performance Pack now comes with the black over-the-engine strut tower “tie bar” included - whereas on prior models (2015-2017), this part was NOT included as part of the PP.

The part I am referencing is the same as this part (and the same as the Ford Performance strut tower brace):
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tie-bar-fr3z16a200a

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just an FYI:

The 2018 EcoBoost w/Performance Pack now comes with the black over-the-engine strut tower “tie bar” included - whereas on prior models (2015-2017), this part was NOT included as part of the PP.

The part I am referencing is the same as this part (and the same as the Ford Performance strut tower brace):
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tie-bar-fr3z16a200a
But is it a different bar? I thought the GT bar doesn't fit the ecoboost because the eco is taller so not enough room between engine and hood plus would hit the engine without washers between it and the strut tower. It doesn't seem likely that Ford both made the hood higher AND strut towers taller. If its the same bar, did they raise it with some plate between it and the strut towers?

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
But is it a different bar? I thought the GT bar doesn't fit the ecoboost because the eco is taller so not enough room between engine and hood plus would hit the engine without washers between it and the strut tower. It doesn't seem likely that Ford both made the hood higher AND strut towers taller. If its the same bar, did they raise it with some plate between it and the strut towers?
The GT and Ecoboost are the same the V6 was the engine that wasn't compatible.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I added the firewall to cowl brace today in addition to the strut tower bar and K brace I've had for a couple of years. So far I'd say it's not as big of a difference as the other two parts, but the front end does feel noticeably more solid when hitting sharp bumps and such. Less jittery, both in single and double wheel bumps. Worthwhile doing for sure.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I added the firewall to cowl brace today in addition to the strut tower bar and K brace I've had for a couple of years. So far I'd say it's not as big of a difference as the other two parts, but the front end does feel noticeably more solid when hitting sharp bumps and such. Less jittery, both in single and double wheel bumps. Worthwhile doing for sure.
I agree the cowl brace should be the most significant and the tower brace icing on the cake.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the cowl brace should be the most significant and the tower brace icing on the cake.
Well they work as a system. Without the cowl/firewall brace and the K brace, the strut tower brace is just for show. The firewall brace completes the package beyond what the Ford Racing kit gives you.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I also have the PP lower K brace under the engine.
Hey buddy, how easy was this install? What does the install entail? Do you have to disassemble a lot or is it a quick job?

Also, more important than that, does it make a significant difference in chassis rigidity, handling sharpness, and body control? Thanks.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I ordered all of the parts in my screenshot plus the FP STB/cowl brace kit. Guess I'll do the install on all of it next weekend. $344 total. I'll take educational pics.
Sponsored