Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
How did you do the race number?

Is it removable/magnetic? (non-adhesive)

_
I guess the numbers are just cut vinyl (re: the hood and door)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That is wallpaper worthy! :clap2:
My thoughts exactly! I bought his photos just for that picture alone!

Love the shot with what looks like Rainier in the background!!!
He did such a great job I actually thought it was photoshopped at first. Rainer is a bit further away than that in person. Amazing what great equipment can do!

God damn the Ridge is such a scenic track! Great pics man! I'm gonna have to make a trip up north one of these days.
Dude! Definitely. The Ridge is beautiful has a great flow. IF you do come up, have to go to Pacific Raceways. It's a real oddity of a regional track, but an absolute blast.

Nice run! And as always, great pics. Did you see a difference with the R wing compared to the OEM wing? My splitter will be ready for replacement soon, and I was contemplating doing both the R splitter and wing.
Do it. No questions. My only hesitation would be if you're track rat, consider looking at the APR stuff. It'll damn near be the same cost, you'll be unique, and it's more functional.

The R stuff added quite a bit of stability to the car (when done at the same time). Both are most effective at higher speeds. Just keep in mind that adding only the wing will induce a bit of high speed understeer. Completely recommend the upgrades - and doing them at the same time!

Sick shots Kevin. Glad to hear the aero made a difference. Look forward to chasing you soon
Can't for Thunderhill - and Cup2s! We gotta get those SV502s on track!

Looks like a great day at the Ridge considering the season were in!!! I'm hoping to get on the track soon. MM camber plates, track alignment and FP tie down hooks installed. Need to get the toe hooks installed and spec out the race ramps needed.
Absolutely. I was shocked at how nice it turned out. Perfect day for it - although we were all sliding around because it was cold :D

We gotta' get at least one track day in before I move! Have any days planned out yet?

How did you do the race number?

Is it removable/magnetic? (non-adhesive)
_
It's vinyl. I actually custom made the font and number in PPT (spend a lot of time in PowerPoint for my day job, converted it to a vector image and then sent it to a printer. I think it would be fairly easy to make magnetic if you wanted since it's only 1 color. Happy to help you create something if you're interested.

Kev, in your pics post, 4th pic. One of your goalls was to work on vision. Nicely done....way to keep that chin up!
Instructor Chris strikes again! I was really happy with my progression on Saturday - felt a lot of things start to make sense, so I have good feeling I can make good progress on them. #1 will always be vision. The next 2 I really want to work on is the transition from brake to throttle (smoother and more timely) and braking entry. I tend to over brake some corners that I could just tap to settle the car or scrub a little speed.

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
Do it. No questions. My only hesitation would be if you're track rat, consider looking at the APR stuff. It'll damn near be the same cost, you'll be unique, and it's more functional.

The R stuff added quite a bit of stability to the car (when done at the same time). Both are most effective at higher speeds. Just keep in mind that adding only the wing will induce a bit of high speed understeer. Completely recommend the upgrades - and doing them at the same time!
Thanks again for the info! I was also looking at the APR GT-250. Will for sure think about it since my car is becoming more and more my track car.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks again for the info! I was also looking at the APR GT-250. Will for sure think about it since my car is becoming more and more my track car.:thumbsup:
I want that APR wing bad. It's taking most of my self-control to not order one and start sourcing a spare trunk lid. :D

It's hard not to want to make it a dedicated track car! Since I have the Raptor for cruising around town, I really only drive the Shelby on track or when I want the attention. The temptation to go crazy with it is high! But I think I am leaning towards building a dedicated car with a cage instead. Hmmm.....

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Waiting for track season to begin
20180225_211047.jpg

Jokes aside - got some safety upgrades incoming for my upcoming weekend at Thunderhill on March 10/11. In addition to the upgraded helmet, new suit and shoes, I've secured a fire extinguisher and upgraded to a Halo seat for the driver seat - OMP Champ R seat will move over to the passenger side for the time being. At least my passengers won't get flung all over the place now.

I'll provide a more detailed seat install this time. Seat gets here Friday I believe :)

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Stig from Top Gear is back! :) :ninja:

And thanks for the peer pressure ;) I just placed an order for the APR wing and splitter.

It is slowly getting there... I like driving the car, but I really enjoy it at the track.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The Stig from Top Gear is back! :) :ninja:

And thanks for the peer pressure ;) I just placed an order for the APR wing and splitter.

It is slowly getting there... I like driving the car, but I really enjoy it at the track.
SO jealous. You won't be disappointed! Make sure you post up your install! Maybe I'll be able to sneak the parts past my wife at some point in the future :)

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SO jealous. You won't be disappointed! Make sure you post up your install! Maybe I'll be able to sneak the parts past my wife at some point in the future :)
For sure I will. I'm also coming up with a story to explain to my wife how the lip spoiler has grown ;)

HawaiiKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Lightning, 16 Tech GT350, 63 bagged F100
LEGIT never thought I'd have photos like this of my OWN car. Absolutely incredible. My buddy, Eric, at Schofhauser Media is an absolute master :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Luckily the PNW treated us with a nice moody day for some really great dramatic shots. Such a great juxtaposition of moody, grey industrial and a modern, brutish, loud, red car.

Dead on.jpg

Front angle.jpg

Top of hood.jpg

Front roller.jpg

Front side roller.jpg

Rear tail lights.jpg

Low side.jpg

Front bumper.jpg

Side profile.jpg

[MENTION=32677]50Deep@DCTMS[/MENTION] has few coming to his wheel thread as well. Got some great close up shots of the new SV502s!

Track day on Saturday. Whoot whoot!
Ugh this car :hail::headbang::headbang::hail::hail::hail:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Wow I love this shot..... Mt. Rainier always looks pretty darn cool from any angle. I used to do many business-related trips in Tacoma back in 2011-2014 when I had a clinic to oversee there and I enjoyed touring the PNW area. Even stayed at Hotel Murano almost one entire summer once. Go to see Lemay's (old grounds plus their new museum) as well as Pacific Raceways once on the track.... and also a huge Ford show in Kent back in 2014. A great area to sightsee... I even spent this past NYE at the Space Needle with my family so the kids can enjoy as well and a few days in Vancouver BC including Whistler. And yeah I like the roads.... nearly anything is better than the flatlands of south FL, except Sebring. :D

dksaline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MT 17 GB GT; MT 03 MX5; MT 94 BMW E36; 99 VFR800
Guys I'm so envious of your amazing shots in the PNW! I lived in Issaquah for a magical year, and since I returned to the Midwest in '15 to care for family, I've been looking forward to getting back to your amazing region...this time with my own 17GB GT Base w/PP. Thanks for letting me enjoy your pics, guys :)

David Kirkpatrick
Saline, Mich.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ugh this car :hail::headbang::headbang::hail::hail::hail:
Thanks, brother! I'm having so much fun with this car. Been really happy with the blend design and function. Congrats on the new wheels! Car looks awesome. I'll bet you just created a surge of sales for Sig! :)

Wow I love this shot..... Mt. Rainier always looks pretty darn cool from any angle. I used to do many business-related trips in Tacoma back in 2011-2014 when I had a clinic to oversee there and I enjoyed touring the PNW area. Even stayed at Hotel Murano almost one entire summer once. Go to see Lemay's (old grounds plus their new museum) as well as Pacific Raceways once on the track.... and also a huge Ford show in Kent back in 2014. A great area to sightsee... I even spent this past NYE at the Space Needle with my family so the kids can enjoy as well and a few days in Vancouver BC including Whistler. And yeah I like the roads.... nearly anything is better than the flatlands of south FL, except Sebring. :D
These types of stories are great to hear this time of year when we're all suicidal from the rain and darkness. Good reminder that it's beautiful place that we take for granted in the winter. The PNW has a surprising amount of racing/automotive history hidden away. Really fits with the overall nature of the area - hidden gems.

Thanks for sharing your story. If you ever make it back up, you need to drive at the Ridge. Really fun track - although I might like Pacific more.

Guys I'm so envious of your amazing shots in the PNW! I lived in Issaquah for a magical year, and since I returned to the Midwest in '15 to care for family, I've been looking forward to getting back to your amazing region...this time with my own 17GB GT Base w/PP. Thanks for letting me enjoy your pics, guys :)

David Kirkpatrick
Saline, Mich.
:) It sure is beautiful. As you know, the summers here are amazing. I don't think there is a more beautiful place in the US during the summer. The PNW is a great place to be track enthusiast now since we have Pacific Raceways, The Ridge, ORP and PIR.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Seat install time!

As I mentioned previously - it's time to step up the safety game again. My current OMP seat, 6pth harness, hans, and roll bar are a great start. But they offer very little side impact protection. Coupled with watching my passengers get flung around - I bit the bullet and upgraded to a proper halo seat for driver side. Next winter I'll add one to the passenger side as well. I chose the Sparco Circuit because it's one of the few seats in the market that is similar width to my OMP Champ R - which fits perfectly. As a 5 7ish, 155 lbs guy - I swim in most halo seats.

Sparco_Circuit_II2.jpg

Because I had already installed the 6pt harness in the driver side, I only needed to prep the passenger side. I started by removing the OEM seat. To do this, you'll remove 4 plastic covers to expose the torx bolts. You'll need a T50 to remove them.

T50.jpg

The 4 bolts look like so. 2 in front and 2 in the back.

Bolts for seat.jpg

Don't forget to disconnect your seat. For tech seats, you'll have 2 plugs. (Note: ignore the evidence of my cocaine habit. Kidding of course - it's baking soda).

plugs under seat.jpg

With the seat removed, we can take a look at how we want to mount things. Here's a diagram detailing how to mount a 6pt harness.

harnessinstall.jpg

I'm using a Planted Technology base for my seats, which use the OEM holes. So no drilling there. To secure the lap belts, I am using the Cooltech harness clips that go under the back seat bolts. That just leaves us with the crotch belts. I wanted to secure these separately for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to make sure I was meeting the chest line recommendation in the diagram above. Second, I wanted to keep as many of my harness mounting points separate for added strength. That way if something fails, (hopefully) only that mounting point fails.

I measured and found that about 10in back from the front mounting holes would be chest line (I did this by putting the seat on the base, putting it in the car, and measuring). To mark my holes, I put tape down roughly where I needed. Then I got a carpenters square to mark the the 2 most outside points you see on the tape below (I used the front mounting holes as my reference points, running the square through the middle of them to ensure I was straight). I then took my tape measure to ensure I was square by measuring the distance between the front holes and between the two marks I made on the tape - both were the same, so I was good. Next I needed to measure and mark center. Most materials recommend a distance of 400mm between sub/crotch belt mounting points. We have to go a bit more than that because of the rail directly underneath the seat (pic below). If I recall correctly, I ended up at a 6in spread.

Squaring it up.jpg

Chassis rail I mentioned above.

Main beam.jpg

Once I was confident in my mounting points, I drilled through the floor pan and used these Planted Technology backing plates to secure the eye bolts.

Backing plates.jpg

Pics of the lap belts connected to the Cooltech clips.

cooltech.jpg

Apologies for the potato pics, but not a lot of room in my garage to take pics. I'll grab some more when I'm at Thunderhill this weekend. But the end result is great. The Sparco Circuit seat feels great and the OMP seat will be much appreciated to my passengers.

Seats.jpg

On a side note, getting in and out of the car is comically difficult now since I don't have sliders and I sit so close to the wheel. Down side of having midget legs :)

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
LEGIT never thought I'd have photos like this of my OWN car. Absolutely incredible. My buddy, Eric, at Schofhauser Media is an absolute master :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Luckily the PNW treated us with a nice moody day for some really great dramatic shots. Such a great juxtaposition of moody, grey industrial and a modern, brutish, loud, red car.
Great looking photos! Looked like the heavens were going to dump a crapload of water but they saw your car and said, we'll hold off a few hours to get that photoshoot in....

Not sure I saw your feedback on the HCM wing. Any comments good or bad to share?

Great thread so thanks for sharing!

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a side note, getting in and out of the car is comically difficult now since I don't have sliders and I sit so close to the wheel. Down side of having midget legs :)
Nice seats! Now I'm jealous :D I'm same height and weight (ok maybe couple of more pounds). Might be doing that down the road purely for safety. Still waiting for the rest of the mods to be delivered and installed.