BBK vs JBA shorties

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I have the speed daddy headers ( second ones ) as a lot of people have ordered them.
Also after 9 months on my car they still look good.
Just reused your stock header gasket & the sound is improved

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Debating on purchasing some heat wrap for the headers. I got the ceramic coated BBK on order. But, will be doing some autocross this upcoming year and want to keep the temps low. Anyone else do this? If so how much did you use.
I would stay away from heat wrap as they trap moisture which causes rust. Our cars don't really have bad heat-soak issues to begin with. They usually end up shortening the life of headers. There's many who are running these with no paint or coating they are holding up fine.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Just ordered some of the speed daddy shorties. Gonna switch it up so I’ll be selling my LTs later this week if anyone’s interested

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That's the studs / nuts I was referring to. I'm assuming the BBK headers come with studs / nuts for the connection. If not you'll need to either remove the OEM studs or buy new ones - 10mmx1.5 not sure on length - I'd say 60mm maybe?
Looking at BBK PDFs they're 62mm.

I got these (Speed Daddy) installed yesterday and we noticed the included studs weren't anywhere near the same size but couldn't get the OEM studs out (forgot about your post where you detailed your method on it) so made due with the shorter ones. Today driving to work I noticed a "flutter" that sounds like it might be coming from the driver side. I haven't been able to troubleshoot it at all, but do you guys think it might be header to engine connection or header to downpipe? If it's to the downpipe, think I could get away with trying to tighten it or should I get the longer studs?

I used OEM gaskets (one new on the passenger side, one reused on driver side - misordered and didn't catch it -.-).

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

I got these (Speed Daddy) installed yesterday and we noticed the included studs weren't anywhere near the same size but couldn't get the OEM studs out (forgot about your post where you detailed your method on it) so made due with the shorter ones. Today driving to work I noticed a "flutter" that sounds like it might be coming from the driver side. I haven't been able to troubleshoot it at all, but do you guys think it might be header to engine connection or header to downpipe? If it's to the downpipe, think I could get away with trying to tighten it or should I get the longer studs?

I used OEM gaskets (one new on the passenger side, one reused on driver side - misordered and didn't catch it -.-).
If it were me, I'd remove the old studs or just buy some new ones for the header to exhaust connection. They were WAY too short in my case.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I used the stock studs and gaskets and tighten bolts from the middle go left to right had no issues with mine .

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I used the stock studs and gaskets and tighten bolts from the middle go left to right had no issues with mine .
We're not talking about the studs used on the headers where they bolt to the cylinder head, but the studs used on where the collector of the headers bolt to the exhaust.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't notice any sort of "flutter" noise coming from yours? It just doesn't seem like the stud is long enough to tighten properly. I went ahead and ordered some longer ones (to match the BBK size, based on ctandc72's size estimate it should be right) from Amazon that will be here tomorrow. Here's the link for anyone else that might be interested.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Know and check it about once a month to make sure it’s tight and also for leaks so far only one header bolt was a little lose But none of the collector have Loosen up

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6

I got mine installed 2 days ago and I hear the same flutter sound too

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I removed the studs from the OEM exhaust manifolds (where the collector bolts to the exhaust) and installed them on the Speed Daddy headers and I've been running 'em for close to 10K miles...I have no flutter or other out of the ordinary noises.

I don't see how you guys were able to use those short studs included with the headers, I wasn't able to on mine, the studs weren't even long enough to let the nut thread all the way on even with tightening.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You can barely hear it in this: https://clyp.it/dwwp5eq4

Only happens when accelerating, haven't noticed (or at least been able to hear it myself) when maintaining speed or slowing down.
Sponsored