Sponsored

Camaro giant leaps, Mustang just enough (SS vs. GT)

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Camaro's are so intimidating.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Johnny Utah is played by Keanu Reeves in the 1991 movie Point Break.
Unfortunately, by now their true colors have been revealed for what they are so:

Jimmy Crack Corn ...

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Camaro's are so intimidating.
LOL

'10-'15 Camaro SS's were basically equal in acceleration to '11-'17 GT's.

And now it looks like that has not changed with the '16+ SS's and the '18+ GT's.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Some may consider the GT350 to be the performance flagship for Ford, but Ford needs a high performance Mustang any Ford dealer can sell that is not built in limited numbers.
Why do they need that again?

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Unfortunately, by now their true colors have been revealed for what they are so:

Jimmy Crack Corn ...
Doesn't excuse the fact that anyone over the age of 30 should know where that name comes from.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
LOL

'10-'15 Camaro SS's were basically equal in acceleration to '11-'17 GT's.

And now it looks like that has not changed with the '16+ SS's and the '18+ GT's.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I'm glad that the Mustang is finally competitive with the Camaro, but comparing a refreshed model to one that's still on its first run is being shortsighted. GM just has to stuff the 10 speed into the Camaro and squeeze some more power out of it and it will instantly be ahead of the Mustang again.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I'm glad that the Mustang is finally competitive with the Camaro, but comparing a refreshed model to one that's still on its first run is being shortsighted. GM just has to stuff the 10 speed into the Camaro and squeeze some more power out of it and it will instantly be ahead of the Mustang again.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
HAHA!, I doubt you will see substantial gains from the 8 speed to the 10 speed, plus performance isn't free ....so the question is: How much is that going to increase the price of a camaro? Mustang might have the advantage in MSRP next year. Mustangs have way better aftermarket support too, it doesn't take a whole lot of dough to make a mustang outperform even a modded camaro dollar for dollar. Sorry but the Mustang has always been on top.:ford:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
HAHA!, I doubt you will see substantial gains from the 8 speed to the 10 speed, plus performance isn't free ....so the question is: How much is that going to increase the price of a camaro? Mustang might have the advantage in MSRP next year. Mustangs have way better aftermarket support too, it doesn't take a whole lot of dough to make a mustang outperform even a modded camaro dollar for dollar. Sorry but the Mustang has always been on top.:ford:
Irrelevant, since product refreshes always bring price increases. While the Camaro probably won't enjoy the same performance increase from the 10 speed as the 18 Mustang has, a 15-20 hp increase will put it back on top for 2019 since it is still ahead in torque with a better chassis.

Also, we are comparing vehicles off the showroom floor so aftermarket support is irrelevant although you are correct that the Mustang is easier to mod.

Give credit where credit is due.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Irrelevant, since product refreshes always bring price increases. While the Camaro probably won't enjoy the same performance increase from the 10 speed as the 18 Mustang has, a 15-20 hp increase will put it back on top for 2019 since it is still ahead in torque with a better chassis.

Also, we are comparing vehicles off the showroom floor so aftermarket support is irrelevant although you are correct that the Mustang is easier to mod.

Give credit where credit is due.
I keep hearing this better chassis junk, the camaro has a smaller footprint and therefore it weighs less and is smaller, Ill give the camaro its due in that aspect but the trade off is no back seat, hence sales are slow. In what way is it better again when a GT350r is faster around a track than all naturally aspired camaros currently? GM has the top dog in the Zl1 but the GT500 was and will be king when it hits the streets.:headbang:

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I keep hearing this better chassis junk, the camaro has a smaller footprint and therefore it weighs less and is smaller, Ill give the camaro its due in that aspect but the trade off is no back seat, hence sales are slow. In what way is it better again when a GT350r is faster around a track than all naturally aspired camaros currently? GM has the top dog in the Zl1 but the GT500 was and will be king when it hits the streets.:headbang:
Dimensions for the 16-17 Camaro are identical to the 15-18 Mustang so it weighs less and is stiffer just because of better chassis design, not a smaller footprint. A smaller backseat and smaller trunk opening are the compromises for a better handling car.

I'm pretty excited for the GT500 but Ford has it's work cut out for them with the ZL1 not to mention the ZL1 1LE.

Honestly the real star that doesn't get enough attention is the regular 1LE. GT350 performance but for $40k and no ADM.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Dimensions for the 16-17 Camaro are identical to the 15-18 Mustang so it weighs less and is stiffer just because of better chassis design, not a smaller footprint. A smaller backseat and smaller trunk opening are the compromises for a better handling car.

I'm pretty excited for the GT500 but Ford has it's work cut out for them with the ZL1 not to mention the ZL1 1LE.

Honestly the real star that doesn't get enough attention is the regular 1LE. GT350 performance but for $40k and no ADM.
Actually the Mustang is taller by 1-2" therefore = more weight, It would be nice if we had weights of each chassis bare bones. Things on the SS like thinned glass, plastic suspension parts etc help the camaro with weight. How do you know the chassis is stiffer? Do you have proof, i really would like to see a test? The problem with the 1Le is that it's just another camaro trim, they sell in low numbers and the value along with the other SS trims will tank like crazy. People buy the Gt350 with adm because its special (Shelby name and Motor)not because of pure performance. If the 1le was special then it too would retain its value, but really its just a parts bin car.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Actually the Mustang is taller by 1-2" therefore = more weight, It would be nice if we had weights of each chassis bare bones. Things on the SS like thinned glass, plastic suspension parts etc help the camaro with weight. How do you know the chassis is stiffer? Do you have proof, i really would like to see a test? The problem with the 1Le is that it's just another camaro trim, they sell in low numbers and the value along with the other SS trims will tank like crazy. People buy the Gt350 with adm because its special (Shelby name and Motor)not because of pure performance. If the 1le was special then it too would retain its value, but really its just a parts bin car.
The height of a vehicle doesn't add as much weight as the length and width, which is identical.

How good a chassis is cannot be measured in numbers unfortunately, you just have to drive it to feel it. If you don't feel like doing that then just read up any reputed publication that will echo my thoughts on it exactly. GM knocked it out of the park with the Alpha platform plain and simple.

I won't argue the 1LE is a parts bin special (that was it's exact intention when GM created it in 1988) but this thread is about outright performance, not how fuzzy and "special" a car makes you feel.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
The height of a vehicle doesn't add as much weight as the length and width, which is identical.

How good a chassis is cannot be measured in numbers unfortunately, you just have to drive it to feel it. If you don't feel like doing that then just read up any reputed publication that will echo my thoughts on it exactly. GM knocked it out of the park with the Alpha platform plain and simple.

I won't argue the 1LE is a parts bin special (that was it's exact intention when GM created it in 1988) but this thread is about outright performance, not how fuzzy and "special" a car makes you feel.
Well then we are both off subject LOL
So your saying that the chassis is stiffer because you "as in you" can just feel it? OK, and which publications are specifically talking about how much better the Camaro Chassis Vs Mustang Chassis is? Id like to see it especially if the review was about the 350R. What would happen if FORD made a supercharged Gt350R to even up the horsepower on both cars, who do you think would win that one?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GM knocked it out of the park with the Alpha platform plain and simple.
OOOH that ALPHA PLATFORM !!111one!!

There's nothing significantly better about the Camaro chassis versus the Mustang's chassis. I have driven a Camaro and it was nothing special. The chassis certainly wasn't good enough to make up for the crap motor GM puts in there.
Sponsored