Sponsored

2016 Tail Light bulb Replacement

stellymaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS
asking for a friend since I have yet to buy mine :mad:

Do you have to change the whole housing to change the bulb or can you just change the bulb? Light went out on rear passenger
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
There are no bulbs in the tail lights, just LED's and they are not replaceable, you have to buy the entire tail light assembly...... They are very pricey--list is around $1,000 from Ford!!!!
Some folks have been able to get dead tail lights working again by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. The lights are controlled by the Body Control Module and it sometimes needs to be reset.

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Is she still under the 3yr?

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Also just FYI there has been some problems with the passenger side going out caused by LED switchback bulbs in the front turn signals. See if she is using those.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Also just FYI there has been some problems with the passenger side going out caused by LED switchback bulbs in the front turn signals. See if she is using those.

Uh oh, I have switchbacks and I think it was my passenger side brake light that went out. Dealer said it was but I checked and it wasn't out. Replaced it under warranty anyway. Any ideas as to what about the switchbacks is causing the failures?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Uh oh, I have switchbacks and I think it was my passenger side brake light that went out. Dealer said it was but I checked and it wasn't out. Replaced it under warranty anyway. Any ideas as to what about the switchbacks is causing the failures?
Don't know if this is it but I read reports that aftermarket lights can cause the BCM to go haywire. Something about unexpected values from those lights making the BCM think there is something wrong with IT. So it won't work right even if the lights are replaced. Different opinions on if the BCM can be reset to return to normal or not and some owners having to replace the BCM.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Not exactly the same but I had something similar happening on both sides in my EU spec car when I switched out my Euro taillights for US ones. Apparently the Euro config BCM detects that the US lights draw a lot more amps especially when braking (which they do). When starting the car the tail lights would work but after braking once they would shut down.

I managed to solve this problem by rewiring the tail lights and hooking them up in parallel to the licence plate lights. Apparently the BCM does not monitor those.

Again this is not the same situation that the OP is referring to, but it does support the theory that the BCM is very sensitive to modifications in lighting elements.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm hoping someone comes up with a more affordable and effective replacement solution in the future. It's unrealistic, but I don't wanna get rid of my 50th anniversary lights!

I wonder if someone could do what the aftermarket did with the DRLs to the taillights...

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Just stumbled upon this thread even though it's been idle a while. Very interesting. I mentioned in a different thread that I had, and still have, been experiencing problems with my passenger side tail light. It's very strange as it seems to ALWAYS work when I hit the brakes and ALWAYS works when I use my turn signal. However, at night when they are just "on", it will randomly go out. Even when it goes out, it will still work as a brake and turn signal light, just not as normal light. If I switch from Auto to On and/or back, it will come back before possibly turning off again.

Very interesting to hear that there might be a correlation with the different lighting upgrades as I have the Diode Dynamics switchbacks up front and their side marker lights in the rear.

I may have to try the battery disconnect procedure first to see if reseting will do the trick. If not, I may need to switch back to regular bulbs and hope that fixes it. It drives me crazy and I definitely don't want to give cops a stupid reason to pull me over. Curious if Diode Dynamics knows anything about this.

Also, someone in the other thread mentioned that there may be some sort of TSB or something relating to this issue. I believe it had something to do with the battery voltage maybe and that updating some sort of software on the car might fix it. Need to look into that as well.

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Has anyone else come across this problem with the LED switchbacks installed?

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer said that the passenger side taillight was a "known issue" and they have had to replace more then a few under warranty. Seems to be a quality build issue.
Sponsored