Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
[MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION], did I hear that you're making it to FFF end of this month?
Yep! My dad, uncle and myself are headed down! We'll be in Sac next Thursday night! Are you going? Bringing out the R?

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Yep! My dad, uncle and myself are headed down! We'll be in Sac next Thursday night! Are you going? Bringing out the R?

[MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION] Noice! Driving or flying? Yes, the fam-bam and I are going down with the mile of Mustangs cruise EARLY Friday AM. Probably going to hit DL while we're down there also. PM me your #

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
[MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION] Noice! Driving or flying? Yes, the fam-bam and I are going down with the mile of Mustangs cruise EARLY Friday AM. Probably going to hit DL while we're down there also. PM me your #
PM responded to!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Family update placeholder on page 2 updated.

TL;DR: My dad and I drove from Seattle to North Dakota to pick up his new Grabber Blue GT350!

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Are you doing both days with ACNW? Maybe I will try to get out and instruct, but Sunday might be the only day I can make it. I can try to see if we can get paired. I haven't done an AC event so I'm not sure how they do their pairings. I typically instruct the PCA events and occasionally BMW.

I'll be out on 5/5 with Turn2.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are you doing both days with ACNW? Maybe I will try to get out and instruct, but Sunday might be the only day I can make it. I can try to see if we can get paired. I haven't done an AC event so I'm not sure how they do their pairings. I typically instruct the PCA events and occasionally BMW.

I'll be out on 5/5 with Turn2.

[MENTION=19800]CSL[/MENTION] Yep. I'm running both days! It would be great if we could get paired together!

I was hoping to sign up for 5/5 with Turn 2, but remembered I have a wedding to attend in Pittsburgh that weekend. Boo

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
Hey y'all - Honey B and CSL. . . let's keep in touch on NW track days. I just got signed up for 5/13 at the Ridge with PCA NW. I'll be tracking the R. Also, quite a bit auto X going on I'd like to tend to. Any seat time is uber-valuable so don't hesitate to contact me. I'm really on avail on weekends. . Awesome updates, let the RAIN STOP!!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hey y'all - Honey B and CSL. . . let's keep in touch on NW track days. I just got signed up for 5/13 at the Ridge with PCA NW. I'll be tracking the R. Also, quite a bit auto X going on I'd like to tend to. Any seat time is uber-valuable so don't hesitate to contact me. I'm really on avail on weekends. . Awesome updates, let the RAIN STOP!!
[MENTION=16045]Bosshog[/MENTION] Right on man. I was going to say you need to hit up PIR for the Skip Day Track Day on June 1, but sounds like your Sat or Sun only?

I almost chose PCA, but opted for the following weekend ACNW because it was two days. How often are you looking to go to the track? Get something planned for June?

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
Nothing planned for June yet. . . shoot me some ideas/dates. Weekends best, but I could schedule some time off. The PCA NW auto x days are once/month on weekends. I've done them before, nice early ferry ride over to Bremerton. Very limited runs (I think 8 total) but I enjoy auto x for practice and I was driving my ST in the past, now I could run the RS. So that said, yea - auto x and HPDE all game for me. PIR could be cool, I remember PIR being the first track I learned about the Focus ST's weaknesses!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Nothing planned for June yet. . . shoot me some ideas/dates. Weekends best, but I could schedule some time off. The PCA NW auto x days are once/month on weekends. I've done them before, nice early ferry ride over to Bremerton. Very limited runs (I think 8 total) but I enjoy auto x for practice and I was driving my ST in the past, now I could run the RS. So that said, yea - auto x and HPDE all game for me. PIR could be cool, I remember PIR being the first track I learned about the Focus ST's weaknesses!
I really like Evergreen Speedways Auto X. No cone duties and a minimum of 12 runs. Track seems to be faster than what I typically see as well. I'm headed there on Sunday.

Regarding June. There is a set of PCA days at ORP https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...-oregon-raceway-park-pacific-northwest-657305

As well another Turn 2 day at the Ridge. Turn 2 days appear to be a bit pricey tho.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/turn2-june-9th-ridge-motorsports-park-turn-2-lapping-025698

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I would love for all the NW 350 track guys to get out together on the same day. It would be epic.I really think the Mustangs NW day at Pacific would be a great day for a strong 350 showing within the Mustang community. The weather is always great and it's pretty cheap too. I'll be doing the ground school the evening before and assuming track sheriff duties the day of for Shannon of Mustangs NW, so I can say with confidence it will be a great event!

FR500S Racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2008 FR500S Challenge Race Car. 2017 GT350, 2017 RS, 2003 F350. 2020 GT350R HEP
Well CSL and Kevin and J-RO, I'm made it here! Nice thread! I have SW WA and NW Oregon covered on drives. Lots of great roads and light traffic. Most of the time.

But, as you all know , need the GT350 first! At list I get to race this weekend at the Ridge with CSL. If you all want stop buy and check out Lucky Dog Racing this weekend!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well CSL and Kevin and J-RO, I'm made it here! Nice thread! I have SW WA and NW Oregon covered on drives. Lots of great roads and light traffic. Most of the time.

But, as you all know , need the GT350 first! At list I get to race this weekend at the Ridge with CSL. If you all want stop buy and check out Lucky Dog Racing this weekend!
hey [MENTION=7986]Brian[/MENTION]! I hope you're ready. Once you join 6G, the hunt for a 350 becomes a sickness :D

I'm headed down to Anaheim for Fabulous Fords Forever tomorrow with my dad, so I'm out this weekend.

Are you headed to the ACNW days at the Ridge in mid-late May? If not, I assume you'll be at Skip a day on June 1st, right?

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
New GT350R member here and waiting for my car to arrive in Portland in next few weeks I hope. My May/June are challenged with travel but would love to connect and run this car with you guys up in PNW. CA is great, but a long tow! Please keep me in loop for future events and meets.
Mark

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In February, a couple weekends after we got back, I went to my first autocross in the Ruby Voodoo. Had a blast, but quickly understood why so many say 3700lbs cars aren't really meant for autocross. It was clear I needed to get on a road course to really have some fun. So, in March I attended my first instructed lapping day with Team Continental down in Oregon at Oregon Raceway Park. Didn't capture any video or pics as there was just too much going on and I was trying to soak it all in. But I had a blast and learned tons.

Skip Day Track Day March 27, 2017
I also signed up for the "skip Day Track Day" Event for the following Monday. It's a pretty sweet deal. They book tracks on off-days for discounted rates. It was $165 for 7 hours of open track time and limited to 35 drivers. By sheer chance, I was fortunate enough to meet one of the Ford Racing instructors, Ronnie Swyers, who was hanging out at the track as well as a member of the local Shelby chapter, Brian, who also races one of the older FRS500's. So cool the community this car has around it. I got a chance to demo some of Ronnie's cool data logging products (he's a seller of the Aim SoloDL) as well as pick his brain about track tips, car handling, etc.... He was a really cool guy and can't wait to get to Track Attack now.

Early in the day, the weather was pretty good and track temps were good. MY best was a 2:02 in the clockwise direction. I was happy with that for it only being my second day at the track. (Apologies for the flutter, got it fixed for the next time).

I was hoping to try and break 2:00.x time, but mid-day it just started POURING and hailing. I was on track when it first started to sprinkle, clear through the hail, then rain, and then sun again. The experience was pretty invaluable as I learned how the grip would change with the changing temps, moisture, etc... The MPSS are quite capable in the wet I was very surprised. I will say, though, I thought how slippery water is when playing Forza was to be an exaggeration - nope. Big puddles on a race track are quite slippery, and yep, your braking zones get a lot bigger even when going slower. Might or might not have slid off the track a wee bit. Regardless, the rain was a ton of fun. I think I did something like 29 laps straight. I was having a blast.

After a bit of sun and some lunch, I went back out and logged a 2:04.

By this time, though, my brakes were going. In the 2 consecutive days of track time, I burned through about 75% of the brake life. Tires still have plenty of life even with the 7,000 of street driving. I'll tell you what, the Voodoo sure drinks some fuel. On this track day, I believe I turned a total of 113 laps...so somewhere around 4 hours of active track time. I burned through 2 complete tanks of fuel and averaged something like 5.8 mpg. Hehe

This car is an absolute beast on the track. I had quite a few drivers come check it out over the course of the weekend. I heard "that's a damn fast mustang" quite a few times. My personal favorite was a guy driving an older, race-prepped RX7: "when you caught me because of traffic, I was sure I was going to be able to outrun you. But you'd hang with me on the straights. So my next thought was I'll definitely be able to outbreak you. But I'd look behind me and see you close a gap 5 car lengths in one brake zone. So lastly I thought, there's just no way it'll keep up with me in the turns, but you did. Damn that car wicked."

I had an absolute blast chasing down corvettes, cmaaros, porsches and BMW. I was far from the fastest car on the track, but I had a good time chasing down cars that I really shouldn't have been able to. This car is an absolute beast on the track. I can't get enough.

Next up is ACNW instructed lapping weekend at the Ridge in mid-May followed by another Skip Day at Portland Internationals Raceways on a June 1. I'm pumped.
What is your datalogging set up? Looks like the first was done with HLT, and a OBD module? Which one did you use? What mount did you have for your phone?

Is the second one done with the HLT video, or is it another system?