Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
I truly enjoy reading your the detail posting, professional details :cheers:! Maybe you should change your user name to "Dr. Honey Badger"

Amazing pics for an amazing car! Your guy is good :hail:

Reactions: CSL
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Looks amazing!

-T
Thanks!

I'm not a big stripe fan, but the matt black without the white looks fantastic on that Ruby!
It was a bit of a gamble. I actually took some inspiration from my absolute dream car:
1967-ford-mustang-for-sale.jpg

Since my car isn't a classic, I changed out the chrome for matte black accents. I'm really happy with the results so far.

I truly enjoy reading your the detail posting, professional details :cheers:! Maybe you should change your user name to "Dr. Honey Badger"

Amazing pics for an amazing car! Your guy is good :hail:
Thank you! I don't think we want to go as far as Dr. Honey Badger because we all know the honey badger just don't care. Not a great philosophy for a doctor! :lol:

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Great thread, thank you.

Seat install
One of the things I noticed at my previous track day is that I was starting to get thrown around in the seat a lot more and it was causing quite a bit of fatigue.
I find this to be a big drawback of the 'modern' buckle. With the buckles of the 80's you could really cinch yourself down tight, cut off blood flow to the legs if you wanted :D, for just these sort of shenanigans :thumbsup:

FYI, for passengers I tell them to get their hips as deep into the seat as possible, pull on the chest portion as tight as possible, to really lock in those hips, then hold that chest portion to KEEP it tight.

As a result there's no need for them to hold onto anything. Keeping a firm grip on the belt holds them in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
FINALLY

The Hiatus is over! First really driving the car since Oct and it was for a beautiful winter track day here in the PNW at the Ridge Motorsports Park.

TBH, it started out a bit rough. 43 degrees and worn out MPSS are damn near playing with fire. Luckily I didn't have a spin, but with the cold temps, end of life tires, and lack of track time, my driving was FUBAR. Took me a few sessions to re-calibrate myself and really start to trust the car (vs. thinking my driving was causing me to slide around - who knew!). I always overthink and worry the first few sessions after I take things apart - especially suspension and brakes :D

Once things warmed up and I got readjusted, we were moving. New PB of 1:57.34 WITH a passenger. We were on track for a 1:56.62 until the second to last turn when I caught up to traffic. A keen eye will notice I am working the wheel and throttle/brakes quite a bit more than previous days at the Ridge. I spent most of the working on braking later and being smoother on the transition to gas. Happy to say that I spent a good time playing with the oversteer/understeer limit in the Carousel (turn 8, long high speed sweeper), and swinging the rear end using some trail breaking. I also discovered I needed to be turning in more quickly (turning the wheel more deliberately - not earlier). I've found I have a tendency to be a bit too smooth/slow on steering wheel inputs and a bit early to throttle.

Thoughts on R front splitter: Holy shit! I've been running a rear wing for 10 track days now, but this was my first day with the R splitter. I couldn't believe how much more balanced the car felt. I mean, I knew it would make a difference, but damn. Still bigger than I expected.

I struggled with a bit high speed understeer (60+ mph) with just the wing. Car feels so much more planted now. So bummed I waited so long. Anyways - some video and really beautiful pics!

[ame]

Front carousel.jpg

Rear turn 5.jpg

turn 12 rear.jpg

Turn 13 front.jpg

Mt Rainier.jpg

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
The Hiatus is over! First really driving the car since Oct and it was for a beautiful winter track day here in the PNW at the Ridge Motorsports Park.

TBH, it started out a bit rough. 43 degrees and worn out MPSS are damn near playing with fire. Luckily I didn't have a spin, but with the cold temps, end of life tires, and lack of track time, my driving was FUBAR. Took me a few sessions to re-calibrate myself and really start to trust the car (vs. thinking my driving was causing me to slide around - who knew!). I always overthink and worry the first few sessions after I take things apart - especially suspension and brakes :D

Once things warmed up and I got readjusted, we were moving. New PB of 1:57.34 WITH a passenger. We were on track for a 1:56.62 until the second to last turn when I caught up to traffic. A keen eye will notice I am working the wheel and throttle/brakes quite a bit more than previous days at the Ridge. I spent most of the working on braking later and being smoother on the transition to gas. Happy to say that I spent a good time playing with the oversteer/understeer limit in the Carousel (turn 8, long high speed sweeper), and swinging the rear end using some trail breaking. I also discovered I needed to be turning in more quickly (turning the wheel more deliberately - not earlier). I've found I have a tendency to be a bit too smooth/slow on steering wheel inputs and a bit early to throttle.

Thoughts on R front splitter: Holy shit! I've been running a rear wing for 10 track days now, but this was my first day with the R splitter. I couldn't believe how much more balanced the car felt. I mean, I knew it would make a difference, but damn. Still bigger than I expected.

I struggled with a bit high speed understeer (60+ mph) with just the wing. Car feels so much more planted now. So bummed I waited so long. Anyways - some video and really beautiful pics!

Mt Rainier.jpg
That is wallpaper worthy! :clap2:

hmmmm, that didn't work. I was trying to quote the last image. At any rate - looks like fun and nice pictures.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Love the shot with what looks like Rainier in the background!!!

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
God damn the Ridge is such a scenic track! Great pics man! I'm gonna have to make a trip up north one of these days.

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice run! And as always, great pics. Did you see a difference with the R wing compared to the OEM wing? My splitter will be ready for replacement soon, and I was contemplating doing both the R splitter and wing.

1 month left for open track season at NJMP!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 month left for open track season at NJMP!
Actually 3 more weeks if you run with Chin Motorsports March 10-11 ;)

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually 3 more weeks if you run with Chin Motorsports March 10-11 ;)
True :D Waiting to see when the car is going in the shop for the Kooks (waiting for delivery date). Are you doing both days?

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True :D Waiting to see when the car is going in the shop for the Kooks (waiting for delivery date). Are you doing both days?
Yessir. Also will be at Lightning with NASA in May and Thunderbolt with NASA in June.

Your car is going to sound sick with the kooks; I'm sure you already knew that.

Last edited:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sick shots Kevin. Glad to hear the aero made a difference. Look forward to chasing you soon

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
Looks like a great day at the Ridge considering the season were in!!! I'm hoping to get on the track soon. MM camber plates, track alignment and FP tie down hooks installed. Need to get the toe hooks installed and spec out the race ramps needed.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
How did you do the race number?

Is it removable/magnetic? (non-adhesive)

_

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Kev, in your pics post, 4th pic. One of your goalls was to work on vision. Nicely done....way to keep that chin up!