Sponsored

Steeda Ultralite Springs & Pro-Action Fixed Shocks Review (150mph Run Included)

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
OP, if the rear harshness your experiencing is bounce, you might want to look in to the Steeda rear billet shock mounts before changing springs. They have spherical bearings that prevent binding of the damper's shaft, which can explain the bounciness felt with the OEM mounts.

I've had for 3 months now the ProAction fixed combined with Sportlines (which have the most aggressive spring rates for progressives), rear billet shock mounts and BMR CB005 cradle lockout. This combo is flawless for an "install it and forget it" setup; albeit stiffer, there's no bounciness at all, doesn't bottom out, is very stable at high speeds and I can power out of corners like never before.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested to hear whether you choose different springs in the rear. I can't see any obvious options for you in the chart though. What are you considering?

I want a more sophisticated setup, making the ride more comfortable but still capable, maybe more akin to a BMW.
I’m considering Steeda minimum drop rear springs as these are rated at 750lb/in and will for sure soften things up. However, after driving a bit more, I’m leaning on testing a few different bump stop setups as opposed to changing the rear springs as the ultralites just perform so well in the curves and the ride isn’t so bad in the cold to justify the performance loss. Mind you, Eibach ProKit’s initial rates match the Ultralites 200/800...so there’s a good deal of engineering brainpower behind this combination (at least that is my logic).

As far as BMW-esque ride...it depends which BMW you’re seeking to emulate. The stock PP/Euro setup is very similar to the E92 M3 in ride (subjective) and front spring rate (objective). If you’re looking for more of a 335is feel, perhaps just get better shocks and struts on the factory springs or, if you stay lowered, seek aftermarket linear springs with similar rates to the factory units.

The ultralites will take things a step further for sure. The dampening sophistication is always present with the proactions, but the rides varies as there are so many variables (tires, weather, road conditions, etc) in play. Overall I’m still very much onboard the ultralite train, and I look forward to experimenting with bumpstops and alignments specs to dial things in.

I hope this helps somewhat.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
So you have a 1/4" spacer in the rear to lift it back up? And those pictures represent this?
Correct on both accounts. As mentioned earlier, stance preference is an “eye of the beholder” subject. Choose was suits you best.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
OP, if the rear harshness your experiencing is bounce, you might want to look in to the Steeda rear billet shock mounts before changing springs. They have spherical bearings that prevent binding of the damper's shaft, which can explain the bounciness felt with the OEM mounts.
This information goes a bit beyond my suspension knowlege, but I like the idea of the simple solution.

I do experience a touch of bounce (nothing aggressive), especially when my fuel tank is near empty. Similarily, when I have 50-100lbs of gear in the back, the ride is INCREDIBLY smooth. If I can get that smoothness without changing the rear springs, experimenting with bump stops, or throwing weights in the tire well (joke) I’d be very interested.

This is good information I’ll have to look into more, thanks for the input.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I’ll 2nd the rear shock mount. I had ultralites and proaction non adjustables on my 15. It was slightly harsh and bouncy at times. I put steeda’s adjustable bumpstops on the shocks and their billet mounts at the same time and the ride immediately got a hair smoother and the harshness and bouncyness was completely gone. It will still be stiff, obviously and you will still feel the big holes, but it smoothed things out for me. I thought it was snake oil until I tried it for myself. Very effective!

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll 2nd the rear shock mount. I had ultralites and proaction non adjustables on my 15. It was slightly harsh and bouncy at times. I put steeda’s adjustable bumpstops on the shocks and their billet mounts at the same time and the ride immediately got a hair smoother and the harshness and bouncyness was completely gone. It will still be stiff, obviously and you will still feel the big holes, but it smoothed things out for me. I thought it was snake oil until I tried it for myself. Very effective!
Appreciate the feedback!

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: After driving an additional good amount of miles (1000+), I have to say this setup is flat-out amazing. The ride, even with 36-45 degree (F) weather is smooth and refined. It’s as if the extra miles gave the springs a chance to really settle and for the shocks and struts to find their groove. I still have a touch more bounce than I’d like on choppy roads, but what I feel is nothing more than stock. I may still try the Steeda shock mounts that many swear by; for sure I’ll be scooping a rear swaybar on black Friday to complete my setup. That’s all for now, enjoy the day and drive on.
That about sums it up!

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE #2: I am happy to share that after clocking the mustang's bushings and realigning for a bit of toe-in (+.12 all around), the car's suspension has hit my goal: sublime. You heard it from me, and you can take it to the bank, Steeda's pro-action shocks are incredible and match perfectly to the Ultralite linears. The oscillations I was previously experiencing weren't due to the cold at all, they were due to my user error of not properly clocking the bushings after lowering the car. The ride is now perfect; firm, planted, and predictable. The car tracks great at high speed, mid-turn feedback is delicious, and cornering brings me closer to God. It's now up for debate whether I snag a rear sway-bar and shock mounts...I can't imagine things getting any better. We shall see! This wraps up my review on these parts, enjoy and drive on.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just installed the same setup for a friend with 1/4" spacer. Hardest part is getting the g'dam stock spring out since it expands to kingdom come, but... anywho... wheel gap was dead even, no issues to report, and he said it drove like a dream. We also installed the alignment pins, though his IRS was pretty much centered as-is with the exception of the front driver side needing some persuasion to center up, but it was also the last one to be installed. Also installed the Steeda IRS bushing supports which went in easy (trick is to pry the rear bushings apart a little with a small pry bar to slide in the small half of the rear upper bushing support and then use that same pry bar to hold it in place while you get the little hex screws started. Boom - easy sauce. This same owner had the BMR CB005 on his previous car and would get creaks all the time and, as he said, a harshness over abrupt bumps. He eventually took it off and shortly after was rear-ended and the car was totaled. This install was on his new S5550 so he went with the Steeda IRS brace during this install and... not a peep and he said it's been smooth and compliant. Go figure...

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
UPDATE #2: I am happy to share that after clocking the mustang's bushings and realigning for a bit of toe-in (+.12 all around), the car's suspension has hit my goal: sublime. You heard it from me, and you can take it to the bank, Steeda's pro-action shocks are incredible and match perfectly to the Ultralite linears. The oscillations I was previously experiencing weren't due to the cold at all, they were due to my user error of not properly clocking the bushings after lowering the car. The ride is now perfect; firm, planted, and predictable. The car tracks great at high speed, mid-turn feedback is delicious, and cornering brings me closer to God. It's now up for debate whether I snag a rear sway-bar and shock mounts...I can't imagine things getting any better. We shall see! This wraps up my review on these parts, enjoy and drive on.
In the end, the Ultralites aren't a "rake" spring. If you want a slight rake, get Swift Spec Rs. I've had Ultralites, Swifts, and now the Steeda Dual Rates. Dual Rates are more of an HPDE/track spring but with Adjustable dampers set to 1 turn, they ride great on the street. Swifts were awesome, albeit I wished for a little more rear spring rate. The car feels better (to me) with more rear rate. I combined the rear Steeda springs with the front Swift springs, and that was quite nice (Steeda rear spring had more spring rate than the Swift springs). Rode with that for a while, then went to the Dual rates and sold the lot. Never looked back.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the same setup for a friend with 1/4" spacer. Hardest part is getting the g'dam stock spring out since it expands to kingdom come, but... anywho... wheel gap was dead even, no issues to report, and he said it drove like a dream.
I tried verbally negotiating with the rear springs when pulling them out. They did not listen to reason. I escalated force by having my buddy pull down on the subframe while I "motivated" the springs with a metal stick. They listened then. :cool:

Glad to hear your buddy enjoys the setup; it's tough to beat the ride/performance value for sure. Sounds like you've landed on a wicked setup as well, those dual rates are pretty incredible (engineering high-five too).

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great review & we appreciate the on-going updates & support - it is truly appreciated!

TJ