Sponsored

S550 Rear Differential Mount Bolts - ISSUES & RESOLUTIONS: Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT/CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Nice pictures! Didn't do the bushing inserts while you're in there?
No it was not needed. I am going to autocross my car more than drag race so Kelly said the stock bushings for the diff will be fine. The diff bushings only see a bunch of deflection when loading up the driveline and dumping it to take off at a dead stop (Drag Racing). I have other things I did while in there to fix the IRS up. I will post the pictures once I finish everything.
Sponsored

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
Hello Kelly,
I think I remember awhile back you said you might make a through bolt kit for the stock GT bushings...like it would be part RH018 or something. Don't see that on your website. Are there any plans to sell something like that? I use my GT as daily driver and did not like the noise from aftermarket insert bushings.

Thanks

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Hello Kelly,
I think I remember awhile back you said you might make a through bolt kit for the stock GT bushings...like it would be part RH018 or something. Don't see that on your website. Are there any plans to sell something like that? I use my GT as daily driver and did not like the noise from aftermarket insert bushings.

Thanks
I have a stock bushing specific kit.

You have to call to order it.

(2) RM1634 sleeves
(2) HW487 90mm Bolts
(2) HW046 80mm Bolts
(4) HW014 Washers

This kit places more shank into the front bushings than the stock and fills the void in the rear bushings. The front and rear bolts are a grade 10.9 zinc plated design with a shank that is approximately 1.23mm larger in OD than the OE fasteners.

Cost is a touch under $40 shipped within the 48.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
-Your through bolt arrangement is a 12.9 grade and can be torqued to a higher value than the 10.9, although slight...that additional amount adds significant clamping force and will likely allow the mating surfaces to stay in place. Remember, the issue isnt necessarily the gap...but the surfaces "slipping"....which enables the bolts to contact the sleeve with force.
@BMR Tech How much more should a 12.9 bolt be torqued? 129 ft/lbs applies to 10.9 hardware I believe.

Thanks,
Tony

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
(2) RM1634 sleeves
(2) HW487 90mm Bolts
(2) HW046 80mm Bolts
(4) HW014 Washers
This kit places more shank into the front bushings than the stock and fills the void in the rear bushings. The front and rear bolts are a grade 10.9 zinc plated design with a shank that is approximately 1.23mm larger in OD than the OE fasteners.

Thanks Kelly I will call in next week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
@BMR Tech How much more should a 12.9 bolt be torqued? 129 ft/lbs applies to 10.9 hardware I believe.

Thanks,
Tony
We typically torque 12.9 about 15% higher than 10.9.

But, and a big BUT...that doesn't mean we recommend that if you use the stock style configuration where you torque the steel fastener into the aluminum bushing and diff cover. In this case, we recommend sticking to the factory 129ftlbs regardless of bolt Grade.

When through bolting though, 148-150ftlbs is what I suggest. :thumbsup:

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
We typically torque 12.9 about 15% higher than 10.9.

But, and a big BUT...that doesn't mean we recommend that if you use the stock style configuration where you torque the steel fastener into the aluminum bushing and diff cover. In this case, we recommend sticking to the factory 129ftlbs regardless of bolt Grade.

When through bolting though, 148-150ftlbs is what I suggest. :thumbsup:
Great - thanks for clarifying!

Tony

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
A few people called to order an upgrade kit for the stock bushings, so figured I would show them as the "kit" listed in post #138 above.

These pieces add strength in a few ways.

1: They are the same 10.9 Grade as the OE fasteners, but they feature shanks that are over 1mm larger in diameter.

2: The front bolt shanks actually protrude into the inner bushing sleeve, where the stock bolts stop well short. This does a few things - it places the shear path on the shank, and it also helps to retain the pinion mounting and location IF the bolt snaps on the threads which are tucked deep within the bushing. It does not allow the threaded portion of the fastener to continually bend and deflect. I have had about 25 people install these front bolts with zero issues to date.

3: The rear bolt is essentially a duplicate of the factory piece, except the mass of the bolt and diameter of the shank is larger. However, it is impossible to place the shear path on the shank without drilling through the differential cover. This kit includes the bolts, but ALSO the CNC machined insert sleeves to center and lock the mating of the differential and the subframe. By doing this, it helps prevent the bolt from deflecting excessively as well as helps keep the bolt from seeing damaging shock loads when it is "floating" within the stock bushing.
Stock Diff Bushing Bolt Upgrade - RH018.jpg
Stock 5.jpg
Stock 4.jpg
Stock Bolt VS M14 - 80mm.jpg
Upgrade VS Stock.jpg

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
A few people called to order an upgrade kit for the stock bushings, so figured I would show them as the "kit" listed in post #138 above.
Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to getting these in.

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
(2) RM1634 sleeves
(2) HW487 90mm Bolts
(2) HW046 80mm Bolts
(4) HW014 Washers
Hello Kelly,
Getting ready to install these stock bushing replacement bolts. Just so I know before I get started, do I have to drop the subframe in either the front or rear to get these bolts in?
Looking at some of the pictures in this thread it seems maybe I don't have to drop the front subframe to replace the front bolts but might have to drop the rear subframe to get the rear bolts out and replaced.
Let me know if that is correct. Thanks!

Sponsored

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Wow..I thought the rear IRS bolts had the same problem as well but no reports of them breaking.

This is Fords first iteration of an IRS on the Mustang so we'll just have to let them make it. -shrugg

However I think some of this should be against fastening design rule. A bolt should never be threaded at the bearing surface/length of the bushing surface and this length should be a tight fit??

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Also a recommendation on the first page, your picture titled "FACTORY FRONT SIDE DIFF MOUNTING" is still in the mix with the RR bushing explanation. This had me confused for a sec.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is Fords first iteration of an IRS on the Mustang so we'll just have to let them make it. -shrugg
Not exactly the first. Though it is the first iteration for IRS being applied to the entire Mustang lineup.

Norm

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Trying to decide if i should upgrade to the lockout or leave them stock. Im sure I dont drive anywhere near as hard as boardkat.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Anyone who has put through bolts on the front, how did you lower the cradle enough to drill out the cradle bushings? I have l lowered my cradle as much as I can with it hanging from all four bolts and I’m nowhere near close to being able to get a drill bit in there. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.