Sponsored

Mustaro?

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
When I notice characteristics of the 2015-17 Mustang, I can't help but sorta be reminded of the 1970-73 Camaro. They share similar exterior dimensions, gaping grille area, fastback design & lowered stance. The curb weight of the Mustang V6 is similar to the Camaro 396. While the V6 has 2 cylinders & 45 HP less than the 396, it's 1/2 second faster to 60 MPH. It also helps that the Mustang maintained more retro interior characteristics than the current Camaro.
Mustaro.jpg
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Well, they're both pony cars, so will share similar proportions.

For me though, S550 is channeling the '69 Sportsroof
Exactly. Although your '69 image isn't showing up. Probably doesn't allow external links.

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Well, they're both pony cars, so will share similar proportions.

For me though, S550 is channeling the '69 Sportsroof

The 5th generation Camaro & modern Challenger, while originally pony cars, are beyond those proportions & into muscle car size. The 6th generation Camaro has returned though.
I realize the Mustang is drawing from its heritage & your example is perfect, but being a fan of the 1970-73 & 1978-81 Camaro, I noticed the similarities in dimensions, design & power. For example, see how the rear pillars angle back on both the Camaro & modern Mustang.

:)

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coastal Bend Mustangs of Texas

Similarities yes I see them, The suspension upgrades are what gets my attention mostly as I run thru the Twisties!
tn_20180519_115354_Burst14.jpg

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The drivability is way different.

The early cars were all nose heavy and under steered in a turn. The brakes were shit. The tires were crap. The carbs gave trouble on cold rainy days. Roll up windows. No power locks. Slide around seats. For me the black plasticity interiors of the new mustangs bring back memories of the old black vinyl interiors. Headlights shit. Live axle. Shit suspension. Heavy wheels. Real exhaust fumes (I miss those).

What else? Headlights that don’t show anything like today’s do. Mostly no air conditioning. Crapy radio and speakers. Rust like nobody’s business. Crappy paint. Manual mirrors. Keyed ignition and locks.

Other than that they are similar...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You got me on a roll...

One difference between old and new is nobody really placed any value in V8 rumble. All my cars till now we’re V8s. V8 rumble meant new mufflers! :lol: The big diff in engines and this is for the 6 and 8 is that they are not push rod. The old cars had far more torque from the get go. You notice the lack of torque. The other side of this coin is that the new cars produce more power at the top end. My old 5.0 fox bodies gave up at 142 mph but my six will add 15 extra topping at 157. But generally my six is faster than my older 5.0. You notice that right from the beginning.

Speaking of exhaust noise I seem to think the current 5.0 is louder than the older cars. If they put on those Trush mufflers/glass packs they were loud. But this current thing about V8 rumble and gun the engine just for the sound is just “cute” in my eyes...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I drove a 72 Camaro RS/SS while I was in college for 4 years. The second generation Camaro design was inspired be pinafarina Ferrari.

"Second-generation Camaros drew inspiration by the classic Ferrari Lusso 250 GT."

The 72 RS/SS had something like 200 HP and with an upgraded manifold and 650 Holley double pumper it was pretty quick. It didn't have limited slip so the car wouldn't move when you hit the gas, it would just smoke 1 tire.

The nose had the reverse hood scoop so there is a strong resemblance looking out over the hood from the.drivers seat. The spilt bumper was a great design and looked far better than a single bumper.

I definitely see a.resemblence between the cars in some areas.

Not my cars, but this is what it looked like with the modified hood, kind of. Mine had a lower one like the Mustang.
maxresdefault.jpg
03-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-review-1.jpg

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Some of the GM cars also came with tachometers on the hood. A friend’s father down the street had on. So cool!

Old guys reminiscing... :D

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Speaking of exhaust noise I seem to think the current 5.0 is louder than the older cars. If they put on those Trush mufflers/glass packs they were loud. But this current thing about V8 rumble and gun the engine just for the sound is just “cute” in my eyes...
With active exhaust the normal mode is quite loud for a default setting. I mostly run quiet mode unless someone requests otherwise. People like to hear that rumble.

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I don't really care if the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger retain their similarity to the cars they used to be 40 years ago, Nostalgic appearance isn't always needed. all my life my performance cars have always been Big Block powered Buick Muscle cars. the kind where even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal set you back in the seat firmly or obliterated the rear tires. no torque management and traction control. since 2008 I've started buying new Muscle cars, first a G8 GT then Camaro then Mustangs and a 392 powered Challenger. the only one of all those cars to give the same off the line sensation as the old big block muscle cars was the Challenger but then a again it has the biggest cubic inches. I miss the low end torque of the old big block muscle cars but have to admit I really do enjoy the mid and high rpm power bands of these new hotrods quite a bit. my 2018 is potentially a high 11 second car bone stock and has amazing power for a 5 liter but my wife can get in it and drive it like a chic drives and never have a clue the car is a Hotrod waiting to be let loose. that is the Beauty of these modern Muscle cars.

I still own a Classic Muscle car but since I have started driving modern Muscle cars I have stopped dumping Cubic $$ into the classic stuff to make them go faster. there's just no need for it.
down low.jpg

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
With active exhaust the normal mode is quite loud for a default setting. I mostly run quiet mode unless someone requests otherwise. People like to hear that rumble.
I was surprised when I started mine up the first time. It is quite a bit louder and has a better exhaust note than my previous mustangs when they were stock. I usually drive around in sport

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I fell in love with the s550 and bought the 18 Magnetic GT/PP because it reminds me of my older brothers Rebello Racing 240z - which had a similar metallic color. The fast back window looks very similar to the Z. I think old Z is a most beautiful car.

GU0B1090-620x380.jpg

Last edited:

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I fell in love with the s550 and bought the 18 Magnetic GT/PP because it reminds me of my older brothers Rebellow Racing 240z - which had a similar metallic color. The fast back window looks very similar to the Z. I think old Z is a most beautiful car.

GU0B1090-620x380.jpg
I owned a few 240 Z's in my younger days and a 280 Z. very fun cars to drive
Sponsored