2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I see shades of Aston Martin in the design language. Ford straight aped the DLO (Day Light Opening). The front grill shapes of the s550, Fusion and Focus are pretty damn close to a lot of AM products as well.

I admit though, it has worked out for Ford. EVERYONE that see's my car gives me some type of compliment. :D :ford:

As you can see below the 2nd gen F-body doesn't look like the S550 but people will always gravitate to what they know and love.
vanquish-s-coupe.jpg
2015-mustang-drawing.jpg
aston_martin_DB9_LM_manu-08_01-1024.jpg
387402_wookmark.jpg
20180524_171725.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I don't see the similarities.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Ii used to own a '72 SS350, and i have got to say, I don't see anything in common between the two. sorry, just not seeing it. :shrug:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Not seeing it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Well if thats the case. You might want to look at the 67 camaro that copied the Mustang that came before it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Well if thats the case. You might want to look at the 67 camaro that copied the Mustang that came before it.

Yes, I'm familiar with the history... then the 1968 Javelin & 1970 Challenger came along.

The purpose of my original post isn't to imply that Ford "copied" Chevrolet, but simply to appreciate the coincidental specification & design similarities between them. I'm not a fanboy of a specific brand, so I don't get defensive about comparisons. :)

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
I mean if you squint your eyes hard enough. You can see similarities in almost anything. For instance.

The 1993-97 Camaro & the U.S. version of the 1992-93 Geo Storm were both GM products & the similar headlight treatment was no coincidence.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
its not just the headlights.:thumbsup:

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
OK, let me get this off my chest 1st.
Just because you love Mustangs does not mean you need to hate Camaros. I love them both!! Not sure I understand why you can't like both cars. Both are very awesome cars.

I've had a late 90's Trans AM in my life, a 2006 Mustang GT, a 2013 Mustang GT, and now a 2016 Mustang GT.

I sometimes think my 2016 GT feels more like my former T/A then any other Mustang I've owned (in a good way). But I love both cars!!

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
OK, let me get this off my chest 1st.
Just because you love Mustangs does not mean you need to hate Camaros. I love them both!! Not sure I understand why you can't like both cars. Both are very awesome cars.

I've had a late 90's Trans AM in my life, a 2006 Mustang GT, a 2013 Mustang GT, and now a 2016 Mustang GT.

I sometimes think my 2016 GT feels more like my former T/A then any other Mustang I've owned (in a good way). But I love both cars!!
In the modern era, I started with a Challenger SE, which is a V6. Then I got the bug & jumped to a Challenger R/T. In terms of sound, I feel the Hemi rumble has both the Mustang & Camaro beat. I would drive with the stereo off, simply to row through the gears & hear the engine.

I wanted a 6th generation Mustang too & was shopping a few years ago, but then the 6th generation Camaro came out & I didn't care for it, so I bought a 5th generation Camaro SS convertible instead.

Now I don't care for the refreshed Mustang & I don't have the funds or space for 3 vehicles, so I sold the Challenger to get a Mustang.

It's a great era to be into these vehicles & they all have qualities for everyone. :cheers:

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
The S550 is so chock full of classic Mustang styling cues that it's a bit nuts to associate it with anything else - particularly in profile.

But I will grant that there's one thing in the S550's styling that may be causing this particular fit of dementia. Historically the bottom of the Mustang grill has lined up with the style line below the headlights. The S550 is the first time I can think of that the maw of the shark bite grill has fallen below that line.

Of course, there's a certain other Ford heritage brand for which the "open maw" styling both predates and is more evocative than a relatively short lived detour in the Camaro's styling history.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thread tidied.

Keep it civil as lose the petty insults. Any more and the thread will be closed and infractions given.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think the current Camaro is much more true to the classic camaro styling than the S550. It still uses more edgy lines and has some similiar cues (like the horizontal line on the side and the high doors). The S550 is much more european with it's smoother and rounded lines.
camaro_comp.JPG

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
I think the current Camaro is much more true to the classic camaro styling than the S550. It still uses more edgy lines and has some similiar cues (like the horizontal line on the side and the high doors). The S550 is much more european with it's smoother and rounded lines.

I'm hoping the 7th generation Camaro will return to the fastback design of the 2nd generation.
Sponsored