Sponsored

Replacing MGW

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I've owned my MGW for about a year. Unfortunately, I'm starting to develop arthritis in my shoulder, which makes it painful to get into reverse, and I know it is only going to get worse. I really like the MGW, but I need to look for a new shifter that uses a pull-up collar instead of push down. As far as I know, the options are limited to the Steeda or Barton units - both solid units from what I've read. I'd appreciate any comments regarding what to expect when transitioning to one or the other (NVH, smoothness, etc.) Thanks.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think I'd just deal with it. The only shifter that will make it easier to get into reverse is probably the original OEM unit

TOROz06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt
I think Anthony is right put back the oem and sell me the mgw

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'd just deal with it. The only shifter that will make it easier to get into reverse is probably the original OEM unit
That's easy to say if you've never experienced nasty shoulder pain. Both the Steeda and Barton use pull-up reverse gate. Actually the Barton comes in both flavors. Before I do anything, I plan to see an ortho doc and maybe get an MRI in case there is a non-surgical solution.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm almost 52 years old and have indeed dealt with a torn rotator cuff years ago. I was merely thinking of how often you actually have to shift into reverse. When I had that problem I used to shift into reverse with the other arm for about a year until I worked through the injury.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I also have bad shoulders and went with the Steeda just because of this. It's a nice looking piece, install was medium hard only because the bushing mount didn't line up with the studs so I had to dremel out the holes. It does "buzz" when high up in the RPMs unless my hand is on it. Steeda sent me some new o-rings to try and make the buzzing go away, but it didn't work. Does shift nice though.

Just my experience.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go with the Barton.

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no experience with rotator cuff injuries; I'm pretty sure mine is arthritis. I don't want to jump the gun by yanking it out, only to discover there's a good treatment for the pain which would have allowed me to keep it. I definitely won't be re-installing the OEM shifter. I have been way spoiled by the MGW. PP2+MGW+S+ mode = a tons-o'-fun ticket machine (only one so far).

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I have both rotar cuffs damaged and need to be replaced. It hurts just to shift but I Sux it up..I also just had my left hip replacement 9 months ago and need both knees replaced I still bang those gears.. Beer helps lol

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like I jumped the gun. My doc said it was a pulled muscle, and it looks like she was right. The pain has nearly disappeared, and there's no pain getting into reverse now. The MGW stays.
Sponsored