Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mustang/first-drives/ford-mustang-gt-2018-uk-review

1-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-hero-front.jpg

What is it?
It’s the face-lifted version of the sixth-generation Ford Mustang, driven here for the first time on British roads following its international launch to the press in Nice, in March.

You’ll have clocked the lowered profile of a bonnet that now sports a brace of meshed vents, the more piercing headlights, and perhaps the new ‘aero curtains’ in the front bumper. Their job is to guide the airflow neatly across the front wheels, and you’ll now find them on everything from the Lotus Exige 410 Sport to the all-new Audi A6.

The front splitter’s bigger, too, because the one thing the Mustang always lacked was a square jaw, and there are quad-exhaust tips for the big V8 model.

It’s a bit angrier, then, which is what people have wanted since the pre-facelift car arrived on the scene in 2015. For further evidence those who buy these famous machines have no aversion to the lime-light, consider that a third of early orders are in the Fury Orange paint job seen on our test car. And while we’re talking statistics, four in every five cars is expected to be a Fastback, which is no surprise given the convertible loses the classic silhouette.

There’s also expected to be a fifty-fifty split between manual and automatic transmissions, and so the biggest change to this car is the addition of Ford’s new 10-speed ’box. Replacing the wholly unsatisfactory six-speeder, it’s still a torque converter but uses an integrated turbine clutch to save weight and improve the packaging.

The new ratios occupy a similar spread to the old ones, though, meaning smaller steps and quicker, smoother shifts, and those shifts are instigated by new direct-acting solenoids. That means this transmission can skip from, say, sixth to second in a single motion.

What's it like?
You know where you stand with a Mustang – it’s going to feel old-school to a degree, for which you’re going to like it in the main.

This facelift is a bit different, though. The instrument cluster is now entirely digital, for a start, with a 12in display whose colours can be customised. The readouts also change depending on which mode you’re in, starting out looking just a bit staid in Normal but ramping up to a vast horizontal tacho in Track and even a ‘Christmas Tree’ lights in Drag Strip. Yes, that’s Ford’s name for launch control.

Elsewhere the cabin remains as it was – vast, with chunky switchgear, and seats more accurately described as ‘chairs’. And remember, the sixth-generation car also remains the first of its kind to be offered in right-hand drive, which is nice.

Buy a Mustang and you still get a choice of two engines – either a turbocharged 2.3-litre EcoBoost that’s now been tickled to develop a little more torque at the expense of outright power or the 5.0-litre V8 whom for many owners will be a no-brainer. With a manual gearbox, of course.

Going for the four-cyl EcoBoost will save you about £5500 up front. Throttle response is fine and 350lb ft means you could never call it ‘slow’ with a straight face. However, if you consider a bellyful of effortless shove a core constituent of the Mustang experience – and, frankly, we do – then it’s hard not to find it a bit gutless through the mid-range. That it becomes so breathless at higher crank speeds merely seals its fate as second fiddle to the V8.

Those eight cylinders remain likeably lazy in their waffling, ever-so-slightly flatulent power delivery, which is up from 410bhp to 444bhp – an exact match for a BMW Competition Pack. With the 10-speed ’box, the 0-62mph time drops to 4.3sec, which the car feels good for as it roars off the line, powerboat-style.

That time is achievable only with that new automatic ’box, which for cruising is an inoffensive device, upshifting gently at roughly 2000rpm and side-stepping second gear altogether thanks to those fancy solenoids. In the car’s most relaxed mode, barely have you pulled away and you’re already into sixth or even seventh, and for the some that’ll be just dandy.

However, getting the most out of the engine requires either knocking the gearselect into ‘S’ or pulling one of the plastic paddleshifters mounted on the steering wheel. The former raises the default upshift point to around 3000rpm but will allow the crankshaft to spin to beyond 7000rpm if you’re in enough of a hurry.

Upshifts don’t exactly match a Porsche PDK for precision but neither are they required to in a Mustang. They’re adequately quick and seamless, though downshifts can sometimes jerk. The transmission’s incessant hunting for just the right gear can irk, mind.

In fact, it’s a layer of fussiness the Mustang could do without, because this chassis doesn’t half like the road to be smooth. A generous wheelbase and good natural balance allow the car to settle into a decently composed gait. It’s one that can give you a false sense of security, even, because it’ll permit to you carry considerable speed through most corners while using generous levels of body roll to keep the contact patches squished into the road.

Were British roads predictably surfaced that’d be the end of it, but they’re not, and so the Mustang comes unstuck where most European sports car simply wouldn’t. The biggest offender is vertical control, which whether concerning either the passive or £1600 adaptive MagneRide suspension handles a solitary input – a ripple in the tarmac, say – decently well but quickly falls behind the roads when those inputs arrive rapid-fire.

Progress can come a little cantankerous, and so you quickly learn to identify the Mustang’s natural rhythm on a given road and stick to it. Do so and it’s an undeniably pleasant, composed steer.

Elsewhere, there’s also now a ‘My Mode’ that allows to collate various settings. This is the sort of thing that should be mandatory on any performance car with numerous switchable parameters, so good on Ford for introducing it.

Should I buy one? (TT says....."well der, of course you should!! :headbang: )
Well, why not. If you’re already considering a ’Stang, and like the cosmetic changes, this facelift is all good news. The active exhaust in particular now gives the car a blaring, saw-toothed aural signature to match the muscle of the engine and the beefcake coachwork. It feels as though the sixth-gen Mustang has grown into its skin.

If you’re really quite seriously considering a Mustang, you’re also unlikely to mind that dynamically it’s some way off, say, a BMW 440i M Sport. The Ford’s footprint might no longer dwarf those of its rivals, but it still feels a portly device and it’s a sensation that never leaves you. It can, however, prove surprisingly sharp on the right road and so consigning it solely to ‘cruiser’ status would be injustice.

There’s also the price. It’s a shade over £46,000, which next to a £60,000 BMW M4 looks good value for a car of such character and no small amount of performance.

Ford Mustang GT 5.0 V8 specification

Where Cambridgeshire, UK Price £41,095; On sale now; Engine V8, 5038cc, petrol; Power 444bhp at 7000rpm; Torque 390lb ft at 4600rpm; Gearbox 6-spd manual; Kerb weight 1743kg; Top speed 155mph; 0-62mph 4.6sec; Fuel economy 22.8mpg; CO2 277g/km; Rivals Chevrolet Camaro 6.2, BMW M2

2-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-hero-rear.jpg

4-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-headlights.jpg

17-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-static-hero.jpg

16-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-static-rear.jpg

15-ford-mustang-2018-uk-review-static-side.jpg
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for posting, I thought I'd read all the Autocar reviews.

However, I seem to detect a weary, familiar, tone in the AC and AE aricles I've read about the 18MY. Almost as if he journalist in question has already formulated their review, before sitting in the press car.
U.K. journalists don't seem that interested in the changes Ford have released for 18MY.

Comments stating the Mustang is no (Insert premium German brand here) isn't really news to the car buying public.
I recently sold my A5 and had the choice of buying from any of the four "premium" German marques.

So I chose to order a Mustang because Ford offer a product I don't feel the German OEMs do. The AC article hints at this, but it seems to lack any enthusiam for the product, instead choosing to mention how a BMW, for example, would be "better".

Well, each to their own and it's the choice we all have to buy the cars we do, which makes the U.K. car scene interesting.

I'm looking forward to getting my Mustang, regardless of whether an M4 would be better, faster, etc. I'm looking forward to that unmistakable V8 sound and swapping gears for myself again.
:)

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
See they used photos from Santa Pod.

For those interested the GT A10 with magneride UK car was tested at Santa Pod in the past week via numerous press and professionals. The average time ran was 12.9s and the best on the day was 12.6s, all results for A10 GT Mag UK car.

So its a vast improvement over the old outgoing A6 car which would run around 13.3s stock at Santa Pod, keep it to same track.

However as with all things the UK cars never dyno, quarter mile or go as quick as our American friends, but we know their dyno's read higher, we know their drag strips tend to be downhill and well 0-60, meh.

But its not the sub 4s car Ford promised, don't think anyone US side has achieved that in UK its most certainly not, 4.3s with a tail win and some luck.

So yeah its not necessary still got handling of a decent EU sports car but its still the only car for around 40-50k that offers a high revving NA V8, RWD and a manual gear box which is why it does so well in Europe as they've all gone turbocharged and auto. Advantage of the 18's with mag ride they sound awesome stock, handle well stock and that digital dash has to be one of the very best I've ever seen in any car, it trumps all its rivals, only stuff I've seen that is comparable is the modern Lambo digital dash.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Same reviews as most others, if you want an effective auto buy a Porsche!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So yeah its not necessary still got handling of a decent EU sports car but its still the only car for around 40-50k that offers a high revving NA V8, RWD and a manual gear box which is why it does so well in Europe as they've all gone turbocharged and auto. Advantage of the 18's with mag ride they sound awesome stock, handle well stock and that digital dash has to be one of the very best I've ever seen in any car, it trumps all its rivals, only stuff I've seen that is comparable is the modern Lambo digital dash.
Yeap, my A5 and A8 were my first foray into current auto gear box cars.

Auto suites the A8, but the S-Tronic gear box in the A5 removed a layer of involvement when driving the A5. The A5 was quick, but all I had to do was mash the throttle and hold onto the steering wheel.
The gear box and Quattro did the rest.

So I'm looking to get back to a manual gear box coupled to what will be for me, my first V8 engine.
And that's something I don't believe many other OEMs offer, and especially not at the price.
:ford:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Anything that isn't a DCT or the ZF 8-speed is always looked down upon by the UK press.

I thought the old 6-speed auto was nice enough, so I can't wait to play with the 10-speed in sport mode :thumbsup:

As for not being a sub 4 second car.......yeah, just a headline grabber in the US (a bit like the Demon being a 9 second car ;) ) Don't forget, we're still down on power and torque compared to the US car, too.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be a shame if reviews like this put people off the A10 gearbox. I have found it to be quite wonderful, doing all I ask of it.

I struggle driving a manual fast car, the gear changes come so quickly, so an auto is perfect for me. In a slow car I love to drive a manual.
I understand/appreciate what you say but the Mustang is one of the last bastions of stick shift performance cars, that's its niche, and I'm hoping it doesn't go the same way as other manufacturers. So the less people that buy the auto the higher the chance the Mustang will keep offering a stick option.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
" From £31,910 "

Is this wrong? The MY17 EB is over £33k.

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
I understand/appreciate what you say but the Mustang is one of the last bastions of stick shift performance cars, that's its niche, and I'm hoping it doesn't go the same way as other manufacturers. So the less people that buy the auto the higher the chance the Mustang will keep offering a stick option.
BMW have dropped the manual in the M lite cars. So manuals really are becoming a lot rarer.
Not sure what others are still left?

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW have dropped the manual in the M lite cars. So manuals really are becoming a lot rarer.
Not sure what others are still left?
M2 and M3/M4 still stick? No

When you say M lite do you mean like M sport cars?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Anything that isn't a DCT or the ZF 8-speed is always looked down upon by the UK press.

I thought the old 6-speed auto was nice enough, so I can't wait to play with the 10-speed in sport mode :thumbsup:

As for not being a sub 4 second car.......yeah, just a headline grabber in the US (a bit like the Demon being a 9 second car ;) ) Don't forget, we're still down on power and torque compared to the US car, too.

In fairness though with good reason, the ZF8 is heralded as the best automatic (torque converter) there is and having driven it in BMW's and now its in my Jag, its super smart in D or S and on paddles is as practically as responsive as PDK.

PDK, DCT are super slick and responsive on paddles.

Problem is its all about what your used too and what your expecting, when I had an A6 for a week I found in full auto it was slow to kick down, so I resorted to having it in track mode and S everywhere on the paddles, but unfortunately it was unresponsive and slow on the paddles compared to rivals like ZF8, PDK and DCT.

I am sure the A10 is better shall drive one in near future for a week or so, but can see from the videos its still gets confused in auto and is not particular fast on paddles, though an improvement over A6.

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
But its not the sub 4s car Ford promised, don't think anyone US side has achieved that in UK its most certainly not, 4.3s with a tail win and some luck.
[ame]

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
I often wonder if these reviewers even drive the car
I’ve had my gt 2 years and I am amazed that no reviewers ever comment about the poor turning circle and the very limited vision from the passenger side rear view mirror where you see a small area of mirror glass and a great big slab of metal being the inside edge of the unit
Given how critical these reviewers are and their obsession with trivia these obvious omissions intrigue me
Sponsored