Sponsored

2018 - steering wheel shake

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Noticed on drive home from delivery a slight steering wheel shake at highway speed. Seems to be off and on not constant. Didn't think much of it as I assumed maybe it was a wheel balance issue or flatspotting. Since I was replacing the wheels/tires, I didn'r much care. Well, replaced the wheels/tires, and it's still there. Now I'm concerned it might be part of the driveline vibration issue since I read that steering wheel shake can be part of it. I haven't noticed floor pan vibration or anything like that, but I've only driven it three times at this point - 90 miles or so.

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this on their 2018?
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Noticed on drive home from delivery a slight steering wheel shake at highway speed. Seems to be off and on not constant. Didn't think much of it as I assumed maybe it was a wheel balance issue or flatspotting. Since I was replacing the wheels/tires, I didn'r much care. Well, replaced the wheels/tires, and it's still there. Now I'm concerned it might be part of the driveline vibration issue since I read that steering wheel shake can be part of it. I haven't noticed floor pan vibration or anything like that, but I've only driven it three times at this point - 90 miles or so.

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this on their 2018?
No shake at any speed in mine, even at 100. I would call the dealership.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Shake in the wheel is front end. Not likely driveline related.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shake in the wheel is front end. Not likely driveline related.
That was my assumption from past experience - usually tire or wheel issue. But I read some posts here that said it can be part of the driveline vibration issue.

Just to clarify also - you can actually see the back and forth movement of the steering wheel shake very much like you would with a flatspotted tire but it's slight. I wouldn't call it a vibration, more of a shimmy. I have had this type of shimmy many times with my 06 and it was always a tire issue, but that seems weird this time since it's occurred with two sets of wheels/tires. I suppose it's possible that they are both out of balance, but improbable IMO.

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Could be an alignment issue. Do you notice any feathering on the tire? If so it's probably toe in/out that needs to be adjusted. Take it to the dealer and they can check it. A new car shouldn't have any sort of shake.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Could be an alignment issue. Do you notice any feathering on the tire? If so it's probably toe in/out that needs to be adjusted. Take it to the dealer and they can check it. A new car shouldn't have any sort of shake.
Yup take it in!

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
if this were a s197, i would have said it is a EPAS related issue...

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like a wheel needs to be re-balanced or a defective tire.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If the vib decreases when you let up on gas peddle then chances are its coming from the driveline.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, just checked the the tire pressure for first time after getting the new wheels - Discount Tire had 3 of them at 36 and one at 38. Supposed to be 32. So maybe that had a bit to do with it. I'll find out when I drive it again in a couple days.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
According to TPMS mine seem to be about 40 PSI after taking delivery. The only CarFax log at the moment shows the dealer did a Nitrofill.

I may need to bleed off some pressure if 32 is the target.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's become apparent after 2000 miles that the wheel shake on my car is tire flatspotting, as well as probable imperfect balancing. Haven't had a chance to have them rebalanced. Thankfully, I don't think it is driveline related. I've had it on a couple long trips now and there is no driveline vibration.
Sponsored