Sponsored

Lug Nuts

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So I noticed at the weekend that my lug nuts from CJPP have started to discolour & rust a little. The finish on them wasn't great to start with - not a thick glossy black that you would expect. But they were cheap ($50) so a good choice at the time.

I bought these (https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...style-bulge-black-chrome-2015-2018/p/WHLLN20/) because they they had the "factory bulge" meaning I wouldn't have to faff around & paint the wheels where the lug nuts didn't cover the same area as other brands. They are also not locking.

I'll no doubt be changing these when it comes to my first service in the summer. Ideally I'd like a full set of locking ones, and preferably ones that have a wide enough base so I don't need to add paint. Any recommendations? I know Modurstang do the Coyote (I think) set with one locking per corner, but they are not wide enough at the base. I believe Nemesis do the same set. Just wondering what other have done...

Prefer not to buy from the States unless that's the only option

:cheers:
Sponsored

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
after reading something about lug nuts on facebook yesterday i took a look at mine this morning and pretty pissed off to see they've started to rust (on the inside) already. less than a month old!!!! :frusty::frusty:

paid like £70 for them from a UK supplier so will be getting in touch :( not fit for purpose in my opinion.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
after reading something about lug nuts on facebook yesterday i took a look at mine this morning and pretty pissed off to see they've started to rust (on the inside) already. less than a month old!!!! :frusty::frusty:

paid like £70 for them from a UK supplier so will be getting in touch :( not fit for purpose in my opinion.
Not good! Which ones were they? Hopefully this thread will help us determine a few good sets. Don't mind paying up to £100 if I know they will last, but preferable less than that!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My gorilla acorns have also rusted, mind you I think my wheels have been on and off more times than most with these on :lol:

I've looked at buying a new set, but really, seems like most of them will eventually rust and turn to sh1te.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not good! Which ones were they? Hopefully this thread will help us determine a few good sets. Don't mind paying up to £100 if I know they will last, but preferable less than that!
i'm not 100%. the website doesn't say anything about brands or sizes just to phone to discuss which is what I did.

From memory, i think they might have been gorilla as that was familiar when i read it yesterday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
i'm not 100%. the website doesn't say anything about brands or sizes just to phone to discuss which is what I did.

From memory, i think they might have been gorilla as that was familiar when i read it yesterday.
Well, I'm glad it's not just me :lol:

I remember the Coyote set I had on the EB were better in terms of the coating. Maybe that's they way to go? So it's just a case of adding some paint to the wheels.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I need to have a look at mine. I bought the larger Gorilla nuts from CJPP and then later got four locknuts. I've never noticed corrosion and I have had the wheels off a few times to check the spacers.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I posted on this issue somewhere on here a couple of months back, and then raised the issue again on one of the FB discussions last week.

Mine are the splined Gorillas and they started rusting after just 7 months. The wheels have only been off and back on the car once, and it's stored in a dry underground garage, so excess wear from removing/replacing the wheels and exposure to the elements is not a valid reason... they're just crap quality as far as I'm concerned.

I did mention the (UK) suppliers name in my original post, hoping that I may get some sort of response from them on the issue as they're always quick to throw their name out on the forum whenever anyone's looking to buy something, but alas nothing. I don't particularly want to name them again as it's not one of their own brand products (all of which are usually of exceptional quality) so not totally their fault... I just hoped they may have been concerned enough to respond!

I've now bought a set of the Coyote splined nuts from the ever helpful Guy T @ Nemesis UK to replace them, and although I haven't yet fitted them, they certainly look much better quality. I think part of the problem with the Gorillas (from the other supplier) is that they're all packaged together in one bag and are therefore rattling about about against each other from the time they're manufactured until the time you fit them, and this damages the coating. The Coyotes are all individually packaged and the coating looks much thicker.

The only issue that some see with the Coyote's is that the splined ones are only available in 2" length in 14x1.5... but as the discussion and photos on the FB group showed, they still look absolutely fine, especially on aftermarket wheels. They're also a bit more like 'tuner' nuts so you can't get them with the large acorn bulge ( [MENTION=14295]Kristian87[/MENTION] ).

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Just fitted the black gorilla ones last week on mine (during service at Modurstang). They are all the locking type, but in hindsight I would just get all 'non-lockings'.

Had quite a few sets of nuts on my BMW and they ALL rust! Will see how the Gorillas go on the stang, but based on posts on this forum, I fully expect the same fate after about 12 months. For what they cost, I'd be reluctant to buy again.

Don't know what to do for the best either. The only reliable non-rust blackout method seems to be plastic covers, for the Vauxhall Corsa effect!

Pic: All-locking gorilla nuts. They are the 'OEM-fit' type with no wheel metal showing, it's just the camera flash. Had the calipers painted black too as they were also showing corrosion.

wheel1.JPG

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just fitted the black gorilla ones last week on mine (during service at Modurstang). They are all the locking type, but in hindsight I would just get all 'non-lockings'.

Had quite a few sets of nuts on my BMW and they ALL rust! Will see how the Gorillas go on the stang, but based on posts on this forum, I fully expect the same fate after about 12 months. For what they cost, I'd be reluctant to buy again.

Don't know what to do for the best either. The only reliable non-rust blackout method seems to be plastic covers, for the Vauxhall Corsa effect!

Pic: All-locking gorilla nuts. They are the 'OEM-fit' type with no wheel metal showing, it's just the camera flash. Had the calipers painted black too as they were also showing corrosion.

wheel1.JPG

I'm plastic covering them, as long as it's high gloss plastic i don't give a shit :lol:

Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I'm plastic covering them, as long as it's high gloss plastic i don't give a shit :lol:
I must admit, I've done that for the last two years and they still looked like new - and only cost about a tenner. That Ford enormous locking wheel nut needs covering if nothing else.

attachment.jpg

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
My Gorilla's are starting to rust too. I was thinking hammerite...

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads