Sponsored

Ecoboom on stock engine

Rsackett78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
So I just had my first experience to the ecoboom situation!! When the engine blew the oil filter broke off at the threads and number 3 cylinder rod went through both sides of the block. I took my car to the dealer and they said that when I changed the oil 600 miles ago, I overtightened the oil filter. They said that it must have cracked the treads and that's why it broke off and they denied the warranty!!!
Has anybody ever heard of this?? I always put the oil filter on hand tight. I can't see myself overtightening it that much to cause the threads to crack.
I'm trying to find out who to contact to help push the warranty through because this is clearly the fault of the engine.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Do not accept that as a denied warranty. Over tightening the filter (not possible by hand) would strip the threads before cracking off the entire assembly. That is just an excuse to deny warranty services. Now if the filter had a manufacturing flaw that caused it to fall off while driving which then caused engine failure they could deny warranty. With that said that does not sound like the case here.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
That's crazy! Sorry to hear this happened. I've never heard of that happening, where the filter falls out. I would think you would have seen oil leaks. Are they sure the rod didn't take the filter out when the engine windowed?

Also, this scenario sounds impossible. Only TUNED EBs blow, according to some of the almighty experts on this forum.

This definitely needs to be taken to the next level with Ford.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Don't take no for an answer, and don't be afraid to escalate things with Ford. You can always ask Deysha [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] for help and advice.

If you used the recommended oil weight, and it met all the specifications in the owner's manual, then Ford is on very sketchy ground here...if you used a factory oil filter, that's another thing that Ford can't fight you on ;)

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Ya got some pics ? Can ya share any ? You may have to go to a different dealer so look around your area and talk with them first and then tow it there .

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah there is no way hand tight oil filter will crack a housing, and and best if you were even able to cross thread it by mistake you would know pretty quickly, still would not cause that kind of fracture.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Don't take no for an answer, and don't be afraid to escalate things with Ford. You can always ask Deysha @FordService for help and advice.
I think Ford (and other manufacturers) have abandoned active forum support. FordService's last visit to the forum was a year ago (minus 2 days). Ford has a phone number for these things. Should be in the owner manual or on the Ford site.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Wow.... I've never heard of that one before.

I used to change my oil all the time, but not done that for 15 years are so... back in the day there was no way, I don't think, this would happen. Think it was like turn until can't go and then use the oil tool to tighten one turn. They were really tough.

Unless the oil filters are junk now... guess that could be the case.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Until my 5 year warranty is up, all oil changes are done by Ford for just this reason.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Pictures of filter and motor.

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So let me understand this, your dealerships service department is insisting that somehow you had the strength to tighten a filter to the point of damaging the threads by hand? I sure as hell hope they can prove this 100% without a doubt, because if that's the case I'd take their written statement of that fact back to the oil filter manufacturer (hopefully Motorcraft, wouldn't that be great), and get a lawyer involved now to help which corporation will be paying for the new motor.

If you can physically damage an oil filter by hand, that's a defective product. You couldn't even tighten a filter using a wrench enough to damage the threads before the outer housing would collapse. In this situation, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act will easily protect you unless they can prove without a doubt that your negligence caused the damage to your engine, and with the Ecoboost history that would be awful tough.

So..with that said, the normal questions:
1.) Automatic or Manual?
2.) Cleveland or Spain?
3.) What kind of oil/filter?
4.) What kind of fuel and last fill-up?
5.) Any modifications to the car at all currently, and any previously removed?

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
So let me understand this, your dealerships service department is insisting that somehow you had the strength to tighten a filter to the point of damaging the threads by hand? I sure as hell hope they can prove this 100% without a doubt, because if that's the case I'd take their written statement of that fact back to the oil filter manufacturer (hopefully Motorcraft, wouldn't that be great), and get a lawyer involved now to help which corporation will be paying for the new motor.

If you can physically damage an oil filter by hand, that's a defective product. You couldn't even tighten a filter using a wrench enough to damage the threads before the outer housing would collapse. In this situation, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act will easily protect you unless they can prove without a doubt that your negligence caused the damage to your engine, and with the Ecoboost history that would be awful tough.

So..with that said, the normal questions:
1.) Automatic or Manual?
2.) Cleveland or Spain?
3.) What kind of oil/filter?
4.) What kind of fuel and last fill-up?
5.) Any modifications to the car at all currently, and any previously removed?
Taking bets on Fram?

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Taking bets on Fram?
Nah, Fram actually makes a pretty decent filter these days. :shrug:

Assuming no previous uninstalled mods (which is a pretty big stretch for most on the forums), my bet is manual trans low RPM high boost or very recently filled up with bad gas. Curiosity really has me wondering if anyone has ever popped a motor using 87 octane, considering the number of rentals rolling around Florida with tons of miles on them.

[MENTION=14433]jtmat[/MENTION] your thoughts and procedures on replacing an oil filter just makes your "theory" on not needing an upgraded intercooler that much more humorous. Unless you have the strength of a toddler, tightening any oil filter a full turn (or 1/4 turn for that matter) after it's hand tight would result in a crushed filter housing. Tightening an oil filter with any tools at all is insanity, and would likely result in thread damage over time.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
1 more specific that needs to be addressed . What Dealership is this ?