Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
They are a few tenths and mph behind the auto GTs in the 1/4 now, so they'd have to find a way to brake and/ or corner better to close the gap.
??
What?? You got your info very wrong sir. Where did you misread that they're a few tenths and mph behind the GT?
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
They are a few tenths and mph behind the auto GTs in the 1/4 now, so they'd have to find a way to brake and/ or corner better to close the gap.
Yeeeeeah, no. They're about dead even. Unless you're thinking about a mile-long drag

But I am curious to see how the PP1 would match up with the 2SS... both have summer performance tires, both have magride, both have similar tire width, both have similar straight-line capability... it would be an EXCELLENT matchup

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
??
What?? You got your info very wrong sir. Where did you misread that they're a few tenths and mph behind the GT?
I looked up the tests of the Auto versions of both cars and on average there is a .2-.3 second, 2 mph advantage on the part of the 2018 GT Auto. The hero runs of each car still favor the GT but by a slimmer margin. So I'm wondering if the edge the GT has in a straight line Auto vs Auto could be overcome by the SS in braking zones or corners. Should be very close.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Since they are equally fast in straight line it is more than likely.... Especially against a base GT....

I still think even a "normal" SS would be a little faster than the 18 GT PP1
Doubtful on a road course with those heavy wheels and run-flat tires. Now, if both cars had the same wheel/tire it would be a close comparison.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked up the tests of the Auto versions of both cars and on average there is a .2-.3 second, 2 mph advantage on the part of the 2018 GT Auto. The hero runs of each car still favor the GT but by a slimmer margin. So I'm wondering if the edge the GT has in a straight line Auto vs Auto could be overcome by the SS in braking zones or corners. Should be very close.
What tests are these? Links?

Sponsored

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What tests are these? Links?
Everything I could find online, mags, fast lists, etc. It seems like they average a few ticks slower. Google and you'll find the same info.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything I could find online, mags, fast lists, etc. It seems like they average a few ticks slower. Google and you'll find the same info.
I did way back when they were tested and everything I have seen from Edmunds and MT showed that the Camaro is faster. Even the writer of one of the articles said outright that the SS is still faster. So I'm asking you if you have links to the tests where the Mustang was 2-3 tenths faster or faster at all.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Since they are equally fast in straight line it is more than likely.... Especially against a base GT....

I still think even a "normal" SS would be a little faster than the 18 GT PP1
We will never know

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I did way back when they were tested and everything I have seen from Edmunds and MT showed that the Camaro is faster. Even the writer of one of the articles said outright that the SS is still faster. So I'm asking you if you have links to the tests where the Mustang was 2-3 tenths faster or faster at all.
They tested manuals not autos. Big difference. I would think the ss manual will beat the gt manual but reverse that outcome for the autos. Just my speculation

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only referring to the runs of the auto SS and GT. Not the manuals.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They tested the GT with the 10 speed auto against the SS with the 6 speed manual and they both went 12.6 in one test. In another test the SS went 12.5. Those were the only 2 tests I saw of both cars. And they even came out and said the Camaro was still the faster of the two cars.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
And even, tenth of seconds of the 1/4 of miles would be completely irrelevant on a roadcourse race...the most important here is braking, cornering and putting power down, and this where the SS shines.And torque also helps on corners where you are between 2 gears..

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand why people go over to C6G and provide fodder for that Blaqwhole idiot. The guy wants you to think he’s a “car” guy and owns both a ZL1 and a Hellcat but, from what I can tell, lives in an apartment complex and parks them outside. Not that there is anything wrong with apartment living, but you certainly lack financial sense of you’re buying $100K plus in cars yet still paying rent. Dude is a tool, plain and simple, and just trolls Mustang aficionados.

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Exactly how many tracks has the GTPP and 1LE been tested on with the same driver? Same day? Same year?

I don't know. However, there was a 1LE and an SS 1LE at the 2016 Lightning Lap by Car and Driver. There may have been a GT--there definitely was a GT 350R. The SS 1LE was 3 seconds behind the GT 350R at VIR. If I recall, the 1LE finished in a near dead-heat with a Ford Focus RS.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Just FYI ...

To date, there have been no official road tests done by the big three of the '18 GT automatic.

C&D tested a manual '18 GT and ran 12.6, .3 slower than a previous SS.

Edmunds tested an '18 GT auto vs. an SS manual, both ran 12.6 quarters.
Sponsored