2015 GT Premium AT

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Typical GM seem to like Ford design, ThunderBird=Corvette, Lincoln BlackWood=Cadi Escalade pickup, Lincoln Navigator= Cadi Escalate. Mustang=Camaro just to list a few off my head.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Typical GM seem to like Ford design, ThunderBird=Corvette, Lincoln BlackWood=Cadi Escalade pickup, Lincoln Navigator= Cadi Escalate. Mustang=Camaro just to list a few off my head.
This is going to be interesting. Okay, I'll bite...aside from Ford catching GM and Chrysler off guard with the Mustang intro as an early 1965 model, how has the Corvette copied Thunderbird and Escalade copied the Blackwood?

OP
OP
Old 5 Oh

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
How has the Corvette copied Thunderbird and Escalade copied the Blackwood?
Beats me. Corvette came out in '53, T-Bird in '55. I don't remember when the Blackwood came out, but the Escalade EXT was a gussied up Avalanche, which was adapted from the Suburban. Ford never did a truck based on the Expedition. Blackwood was the nicest F150 you could buy, but it wasn't the same idea as the one-piece-body EXT.

I just liked the article especially because the Gen 5 Camaro was SUCH a response to the 2005 Mustang, and the Gen 6 Camaro is SUCH a lost lamb. Doesn't seem Chevy knows where to go with the design. The roof on the new car is terrible. Totally derivative of the 15 Mustang, and it looks awful welded onto a Transformers-version '69 Camaro.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
This is going to be interesting. Okay, I'll bite...aside from Ford catching GM and Chrysler off guard with the Mustang intro as an early 1965 model, how has the Corvette copied Thunderbird and Escalade copied the Blackwood?
Yeah, considering that the Thunderbird came out in 1955 and the Corvette had already been out since 1953....... This quote shows the timeline, from Wikipedia:

The Ford Thunderbird began life in February 1953 in direct response to Chevrolet's new sports car, the Corvette, which was publicly unveiled in prototype form just a month before. Under rapid development, the Thunderbird went from idea to prototype in about a year, being unveiled to the public at the Detroit Auto Show on February 20, 1954. Like the Corvette, the Thunderbird had a two-seat coupe/convertible layout. Production of the Thunderbird began later on in 1954 on September 9 with the car beginning sales as a 1955 model on October 22, 1954.
Then, in 1958 when they couldn't really compete, they turned it into a larger 4 seater sedan.

EiBStudent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta
The Corvette was a horrible seller and a pretty slow "Sports car" the Thunderbird captured the spirit of actual performance with it's large V8 and high power and Chevrolet almost killed the Corvette project because it was getting slaughtered in sales.

They then decided to instead totally re-image the Corvette and brought out the newer high performance Corvettes and Ford didn't keep up with the Thunderbird. The rest is history.

So Chevy was "first" into battle...but ended up only surviving by basing their car on Ford's successful model.
Sponsored