Sponsored

People confusing V6 Mustang for 2018 Mustang!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Yes, three times now at dealerships. People keep thinking my 2017 V6 Mustang is a 2018 base EcoBoost Mustang. At first I thought it was a quirk but it looks like an ongoing thing now. I still have those 17” base wheels on my car and Ford decided to swag those wheels onto the base 2018 EcoBoost car along with the spoiler delete. In short from the side you literally can’t tell the difference unless your already have one. One guy even asked me how I liked the car as he wanted to buy one like mine. I had to tell him the engine was different and show him the differences in the refresh and that my car was EOL.

What is interesting is how little people seem to notice the differences the people here argued tooth and nail. :lol: It looks like wheel design triumphs body work tweaks in recognition. Even more so on the road. I was considering changing the wheels but think I’ll keep them on now.

Just my one little insignificant slice of life.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I tell people on here but most don't believe me. A big part of people's perception of the car on the lot comes from simple things like the wheels. I'm sure there is a big group of Performance Pack owners (both Eco and GT) that ONLY got the car for the wheels, they don't give a damn about the suspension and brake upgrades.

From the side you can notice the edge lights though so they aren't looking tooooo hard.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
That's what I tell people on here but most don't believe me. A big part of people's perception of the car on the lot comes from simple things like the wheels. I'm sure there is a big group of Performance Pack owners (both Eco and GT) that ONLY got the car for the wheels, they don't give a damn about the suspension and brake upgrades.

From the side you can notice the edge lights though so they aren't looking tooooo hard.
The black PP wheels are definitely what first piqued my interest in the performance pack. They fit the S550 chassis perfectly. Once I saw them I knew I had to have whatever package included them. But I also do track and autocross my car occasionally.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
For me it was the bigger radiator, Brembo's, couple more gauges and 3.73's. Not to mention I got it at a d*mn good price.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Maurice_Mustang_Go_Train.jpg

For those of you that don’t know what the wheels look like there they are. That is my car and it’s just a base V6 Mustang. Note that up here the cars have fog lights but not the stick on spoiler. The base EcoBoost Mustangs for 2018 have the same wheels and these seem to be rolling into dealerships in larger numbers than anything else. So expect those wheels to become iconic S550 wheels from now on - at the base level anyway.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Those people at the dealerships probably don't even know how a 2018 looks like. And they probably aren't even aware of the 2018 refresh. I guarantee that after a good wash of your car, most people will think its a 2018 just because it'll look new.

It's just like when I had my black 15 V6 (which looked exactly like yours), people thought it was a GT and that's when I realized that not a lot of people really know how to distinguish differences between trims in the Mustang family.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Hey look. I’m having a small lump on my lip removed on Monday. They are going to do a biopsy anyway as well as getting the thing removed. I don’t meet any criteria for a cancer risk - but you never know. What does this have to do with Mustangs? Well in this isolated internet environment there is rank and all the rest based in one parameter: what kind if Mustang you drive. It actually matters here, and then in your real life you suddenly have something serious to think about!

Power train rivalry? Who gives a flying f**k, when you or a member of your family has a health problem. There’s always that.

Then again, if it’s all negative then the powertrain rivalry becomes important again and especially if Mustangs came in second place in some Motortrend shootout. :lol:

Most people have more important things happening in their lives and small changes in car models mean nothing to them. The wheels are obvious but all the rest is just noise to them.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I realized that not a lot of people really know how to distinguish differences between trims in the Mustang family.
I'll say that's true for vast majority of people who consider cars as something that gets them from point A to point B. I had to look up various Camaros trim levels to understand numerous "Mustang vs. Camaro" threads, but folks outside of a small group of car enthusiasts don't care what trims certain cars have.

V6 and EB Mustangs are popular around here with younger folks on a budget, but I see older folks with money usually go for Porsches or Corvettes. My theory is that GT350s aren't popular in my location, because they look similar to lower trim Mustangs. (note that I'm talking about the crowd that drives their Porsches or Corvettes in the right lane at or below the speed limit and are probably driving them because they look cool or as status symbols).

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Hey look. I’m having a small lump on my lip removed on Monday. They are going to do a biopsy anyway as well as getting the thing removed. I don’t meet any criteria for a cancer risk - but you never know. What does this have to do with Mustangs? Well in this isolated internet environment there is rank and all the rest based in one parameter: what kind if Mustang you drive. It actually matters here, and then in your real life you suddenly have something serious to think about!

Power train rivalry? Who gives a flying f**k, when you or a member of your family has a health problem. There’s always that.

Then again, if it’s all negative then the powertrain rivalry becomes important again and especially if Mustangs came in second place in some Motortrend shootout. :lol:

Most people have more important things happening in their lives and small changes in car models mean nothing to them. The wheels are obvious but all the rest is just noise to them.
Bummer, I hope it's nothing serious... :(

I personally think that powertrain rivalry is stupid, especially for those thinking that a mass produced pony car somehow turns into a status symbol because of an engine.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

I personally think that powertrain rivalry is stupid, especially for those thinking that a mass produced pony car somehow turns into a status symbol because of an engine.

Thanks but I’m not dead yet. I think they are just covering their ass. But if I did get the word then I will finally pull the trigger and get my Corvette. I already owned two 5.0s but the Vette will be a new experience and no mid-engine for me.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Most people don't know jack about models, or options.

I was flabbergasted last summer when some College kids didn't know the difference, or understand the difference in teirs between a Mustang and "the one with GT on it" ..!

I pulled their man card & told them to slap their dad...!

Danman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just saw an '18 at a rental agency when I was returning a Camry rental in Sand Diego yesterday. The only reason I knew it was an '18 was that the heat extractor vents on the hood looked a little different than my '17 and then I went to take a look at the interior and saw the different gauge cluster. Other than that it looks identical to me to the '17's.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP

Agreed.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

If anyone was curious, the biopsy results were negative and I am cancer free. The interesting part is what a life long aging gear head would do if he found out he had cancer and his performance car driving days were numbered. Well for me I decided to get a brand new Z06 Corvette. That was the first thing I was going to do if I got a positive biopsy for cancer. I always loved the Vettes but never had a supercharged car before so... After I got the good news I drove up to the dealership to get a last look at the thing. 128 thousand Canadian bucks but I have money enough to get the thing easily - given the circumstances. I will never look at some old fart driving some exotic and quip “what a waste” as I now have been to the edge and back.

So back to driving a V6 Mustang and maybe a base Corvette in a year or two (I’m a base car kind of guy). I can live with that - pun intended...

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I just saw an '18 at a rental agency when I was returning a Camry rental in Sand Diego yesterday. The only reason I knew it was an '18 was that the heat extractor vents on the hood looked a little different than my '17 and then I went to take a look at the interior and saw the different gauge cluster. Other than that it looks identical to me to the '17's.
Must not be looking very hard then .. whole front end definilty looks different then my 17 did. And the rear duals and tail lights
Sponsored