85 Octane

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Where the hell do they sell 85 octane? I've never even seen that in person. Maybe in a 3rd world country where you don't have a choice, but seriously, wtf?
Sponsored

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Where the hell do they sell 85 octane? I've never even seen that in person. Maybe in a 3rd world country where you don't have a choice, but seriously, wtf?
Per my OP, at places of high altitude.

Reactions: Ebm

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
At high altitude 85 is almost 87.

Reactions: Ebm

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Manual may require tier 1 fuel 87 minimum

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
if you are worried about $11 you have a different problem

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm sure the 85 is fine, but I wouldn't put in a lower octane than the manual recommends anyway.

Deleted member 33561

"Octane" is nothing but an "anti-knock" rating of gasoline so If your car does not knock, where's the beef?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Oh great, another fuel thread. Just what we needed. I figured the 5 previous ones weren't enough.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
And your contribution is..?
That this is all ignorance...

85 octane is for recreational vehicles, not cars. Don't even know why anyone would consider it, unless they had to borrow money for a fill up.

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
That this is all ignorance...

85 octane is for recreational vehicles, not cars. Don't even know why anyone would consider it, unless they had to borrow money for a fill up.
There is nothing wrong with 85 at higher altitude. Most of Colorado is way over 1 mile above sea level. If the car doesn't knock I don't see why it's a problem.

Now long term I probably wouldn't use 85.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
On the Focus ST, supposedly minimum is 87 and recommended is 91. On my many travels since this car as a daily and work car, there has been situations where I'm in the middle of nowhere with high altitude and 85 was the only available fuel.

Nothing bad has happened, no ecoboom or anything...just don't do pulls or go wot. I do get my fill of 93 as soon as I get a chance to try and correct it.

The 5.0 should be less sensitive to low octane being NA and all, I would still advise against putting anything under 87. If you ever have to put 85 in an emergency and there is no other choice, just fill enough to get to the next town and top it with 93.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I also live a mile high and use mid grade top tier for my pony.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
On the Focus ST, supposedly minimum is 87 and recommended is 91. On my many travels since this car as a daily and work car, there has been situations where I'm in the middle of nowhere with high altitude and 85 was the only available fuel.

Nothing bad has happened, no ecoboom or anything...just don't do pulls or go wot. I do get my fill of 93 as soon as I get a chance to try and correct it.

The 5.0 should be less sensitive to low octane being NA and all, I would still advise against putting anything under 87. If you ever have to put 85 in an emergency and there is no other choice, just fill enough to get to the next town and top it with 93.
Except Colorado doesn't really have 93. 85 octane has been controversial here and it's just a way for petrol companies to cut costs by having 87 mid tier instead of bottom tier.

Either way most people here use 85 and I haven't heard it being a major issue.
Sponsored