Sponsored

anyone else not like the Base Cloth GT seat? and seating position

Skacs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Have the base cloth seats and they are great for me, I'm 6'2" and 185lbs. Took the car to Mustangweek last September which was approx a 3000km round trip and was very comfortable the whole way - lots of built in adjustment and find the lumber to be good. As far as the height, for a DD I think that they are fine. Any lower and I'd be rolling out of the car haha - could be a result of my leg to torso ratio however :shrug:
Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I have come to hate the seats in my 2015 GT and have actually put the car up for sale partially for this reason.
I had just the opposite problem, I have a base with cloth Racaro’s and thought the base cloth seats were more comfortable after sitting in one last summer for the first time. I couldn’t find anyone local to trade with so I just gave up on the idea.... might trade the GT for a shaker challenger, now there a selling point :D

OP
OP

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
The OE Recaros are really not any lower than the standard seats.
Plenty of room to lower them, but no one seems to have an off the shelf solution. Custom fab of new mounts or to modify the stock mounts likely won't be cheap.

Given the space is there, and the stock mounts already have height adjustments, I don't understand why they don't just build in some more adjustment range. Especially for a performance oriented car that people might take to the track, where adding a helmet will cost an instant 2+" of headroom.

P. S. Selling the car is sure to cost you more than $2k for aftermarket seats.

this company here does sell some nice brackets to lower the factory recaros in the focus RS, so even in the little focus the seats must be too high.

http://www.jcr-gtr.com/product/jcr-focus-rs-superlow-seat-frames-(car-set)

be nice to find something like this for the mustang

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
They're ok, but my heart was set on cloth Recaros and I checked that box while ordering...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Since you can only get lumbar adjustment, power adjustment, and heated seats in that combination in leather, I guess I'd say leather is better.

Sponsored

EBBS03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I like the base cloth seats, but wish I could have tried the cloth recaros. I don't particularly care for the leather Ford offers, as I also avoided it on my F-150.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Do people like the sitting on the floor feeling? The reason that's thought of as a normal sports car seating position is because a lot of traditional sports cars have really low roofs, so sitting low is required. I used to like that, but as I got older I found I prefer a more upright higher seating position.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
You do know the steering wheel position is adjustable in and out, right?

I've come across people who didn't realize that.
it doesn't come out enough imo. my past cars have been able to pull out to the point where it was 4" away from my chest, which isn't possible in my 15 unless I want to destroy my legs/knees from being crammed in the footwell.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have come to hate the seats in my 2015 GT and have actually put the car up for sale partially for this reason.

The stock cloth seats first of all sit about 2" too tall for me, just don't understand why ford would start at such a high base height and then have the seat raise 6" higher from this point.

the second and biggest complaint is the built in lumbar in these seats, with the lumbar fully deflated there is still solid lumber "bump" in the seat and to me is very very uncomfortable, the base seats in my tacoma are way more comfy

been playing with the idea of aftermarket seats but that would be around 2k out the door for a decent set and then i give up the side airbags, which i don't want to do.

is it possible to lower these seats easily? how do you guys feel about the seats? wish i could grab a set from a gt350 recaros
My one experience with a base Mustang (2016 or 2017 model, not sure which) was a rental car. The last person to drive it had to be really short because they had the seat cranked most of the way up. It took me a minute to find the correct lever and pump the seat back down but once it was fully down, I had plenty of headroom. I'm 6'2" and about 240 lbs. Once the seat was set fully down and, as others have mentioned, the steering wheel was set in tilt and telescope the seating position was great and the car very comfortable. I bought a 2016 GT convertible a few months ago which has the power leather seating and it's just as good.

My question for you would be, are you certain the seat is lowered all the way? I was surprised at how low the seat went on that rental so that's why I ask the question.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Love mine as well. What really makes it feel great is adjusting the front seat cushion up some lifting your thighs to take some strain off the lower back. Cups you like a fighter jet.

Sponsored

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
I like cloth, but i find its not the lumbar,(which i could do without) but that deep valley it creates below it that doesnt fit me. I never owned a car where the seatback and base meet like this. I had leather 16 and was same thing.The cure for me is i have a nice chunk of foam i just stick in that dip to fill it in and all is well. Dumb design tho.

Last edited:

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I drive 400 miles a week including two 2.5 hours stints.

I love my cloth seats in my base 2016 EB ... much more comfortable than the leather seats in the Premium 2011 V6 I had before and also like them better than the leather seats in a 2015 Premium EB I rented for a week before ordering my car.

Lumbar ... my lower back NEEDS IT and thankfully I'm comfortable with it about half way out. For comparison, The lumbar on my wife's 2014 Fusion SE (also cloth seats), with the lumbar full out does nothing for me ... I NEED MORE !!

The Lumbar in my 2004 Cobra Seats and 2011 Premium was good for me at less than maximum too.

Those of you who hate lumbar even fully retracted must be young without any back issues yet !!

Doug

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Do people like the sitting on the floor feeling? The reason that's thought of as a normal sports car seating position is because a lot of traditional sports cars have really low roofs, so sitting low is required. I used to like that, but as I got older I found I prefer a more upright higher seating position.
I like not hitting my head on the roof, and not having to recline the seat too far when I wear a helmet. Long torso 6'4".

Sitting up high is what SUV's are good at.

OP
OP

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like not hitting my head on the roof, and not having to recline the seat too far when I wear a helmet. Long torso 6'4".

Sitting up high is what SUV's are good at.

exactly!, and not bumping your head on the roof line in the drive thru

OP
OP

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like cloth, but i find its not the lumbar,(which i could do without) but that deep valley it creates below it that doesnt fit me. I never owned a car where the seatback and base meet like this. I had leather 16 and was same thing.The cure for me is i have a nice chunk of foam i just stick in that dip to fill it in and all is well. Dumb design tho.

you got a picture of this?
Sponsored