Sponsored

A little more sound

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
@Joe B. if that $300 is for a plain ol GT exhaust take-off...tell the guy you're not paying a damn penny over $100. It is a decent upgrade, but no way in hell is it worth that much.
Post in your area forum a take off GT exhaust. Most people just want it out of their garage and can be had for less than $100

i have two one original and one to experiment with. Have tried H and X pipe, but as a DD been running it stock
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I read on the first post that op runs 87 octane... Can someone with experience share the pros and cons of running 87 octane vs 91?
If you're not tuned, you're wasting money by running 91 on the V6. It is made to take 87 from the factory and higher octane does nothing, maybe you'll get a small % better fuel economy but that doesn't offset the higher cost.

If you're tuned and running 91 or 93 you'll get some better power, but only once you're tuned and running the proper octane for that tune.

[MENTION=16560]gov cheese[/MENTION] I've had one for awhile now, guy I picked mine up from helped to swap it for me in his garage too. Were the x and h too loud in your opinion? Why not use one as the DD instead?

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If you're not tuned, you're wasting money by running 91 on the V6. It is made to take 87 from the factory and higher octane does nothing, maybe you'll get a small % better fuel economy but that doesn't offset the higher cost.

If you're tuned and running 91 or 93 you'll get some better power, but only once you're tuned and running the proper octane for that tune.
Off the topic, but according to this interview with Ford powertrain engineers about the 3.7 in 2010, it could do something in the right conditions. Not that I'm going to start spending an extra 40+ cents a gallon on premium.

"The ECU has been reprogrammed with adaptive-knock spark control. If the two knock sensors embedded in the cylinder block don’t hear knocking, the ECU will keep advancing the spark until it does. 2011 Ford Mustang Engine Dual Exhaust System
Finally, the V-6 Mustang gets dual exhaust! What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving."

Link to article: http://v6mustangperformance.com/news/ford-mustang-3-7l-v6-engine-explained/

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I run the GT exhaust with a H-pipe and love it. I am being seduced by those black tips though! I wanted to change the tips on the GT exhaust to something more aggressive looking but due to the bend out of the muffler my exhaust man did not recommend it.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
@gov cheese I've had one for awhile now, guy I picked mine up from helped to swap it for me in his garage too. Were the x and h too loud in your opinion? Why not use one as the DD instead?
The increase in cabin noise started to get old on 80 mile round trip commute. That and didn't like the tinny rasp that the h/x pipe has above 3.5K rpm.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, and surprisingly there is less cabin noise with this set of mufflers than what I remember with the GT ones. I will say that I think I hear a faint drone (exhaust noise coming from the tips I think) around 2k-2200. So far hard to tell over any other general road noise so I doubt it will annoy me much.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW I got a great deal on a MBRP Street catback from a member here - who was actually local to me. Of course it was meant for a GT. I installed it the first week I had the car. I've put over 4K miles on it and couldn't be more happy. ZERO Drone, sounds good at part throttle - when you floor it - it gets loud but no rasp, no drone and I get compliments on my exhaust from car guys all the time. In fact the other day a local guy straight up called me a liar when I said I had a V6.

Granted I've added shorty headers - but they really didn't effect sound all that much.

quiong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
FWIW I got a great deal on a MBRP Street catback from a member here - who was actually local to me. Of course it was meant for a GT. I installed it the first week I had the car. I've put over 4K miles on it and couldn't be more happy. ZERO Drone, sounds good at part throttle - when you floor it - it gets loud but no rasp, no drone and I get compliments on my exhaust from car guys all the time. In fact the other day a local guy straight up called me a liar when I said I had a V6.

Granted I've added shorty headers - but they really didn't effect sound all that much.
Any chance you can post a vid or sound clip? I actually recently got a stock GT catback from a forum member here, been waiting for weather to improve before installing. However I’m also curious what the mbrp sounds like on a v6 since it’s one of the most affordable aftermarket GT catbacks. Also gets rid of the heavy stock resonator.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Once they finish uploading, here will be my two clips. First was with just the GT exhaust, second is with my FRPP by Borla mufflers.

Sorry for the lack of video quality, was just going to use these for myself and don't have a tripod to set anything up properly but might help you guys to compare.

[ame]

[ame]

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance you can post a vid or sound clip? I actually recently got a stock GT catback from a forum member here, been waiting for weather to improve before installing. However I’m also curious what the mbrp sounds like on a v6 since it’s one of the most affordable aftermarket GT catbacks. Also gets rid of the heavy stock resonator.
I'll try to get a recording once it's not so cold or wet.

Sponsored

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase

[MENTION=16560]gov cheese[/MENTION] I've had one for awhile now, guy I picked mine up from helped to swap it for me in his garage too. Were the x and h too loud in your opinion? Why not use one as the DD instead?
What Joe B said!

This is not true. Yes, one can definitely get more power from a V-6 S550 with a tune, however, our cars don’t have a MAFS, we have speed density, and our EMC’s are indeed able to advance or retard timing from the factory depending on the octane of the gas used. Ie, more hp with premium gas.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
In the same article it also mentioned race fuel and didn't say anything about tuning so go ahead and run it and let us know the 2-3% extra hp you get for the extra 20% cost.

I can't find the source video but a quick search found reference to an AM video of stock cars getting an extra 7 horsepower (less than 2.7% gain if you go on the general 260rwhp figure) on 93.

24% more cost (based on the station I stopped at last night) for 3% gain supports my idea of wasting money by running premium gas. With the tune it'd be more like 10-15% gain which is more cost efficient at least and something you could definitely feel a real difference for.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] I thought the frpp exhaust would sound good and your video confirms it for me. Now I just got to find someone selling it local. That one guy is all the way in Alaska and I'm sure it be cheaper to buy new ones when shipping is involved.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, definitely a sound I like so far. There is a teeeny bit of drone right around 2100 but if I have my radio on I can't even hear it.

And with the windows up, there isn't much noise in the cabin and it seems quieter inside than my GT mufflers were. I might throw on an x-pipe around my birthday in July but who knows, I think it is a good sound right now and not sure I'd like being too much louder honestly.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It might be louder with mine then since I have a resonator delete. I was originally thinking of getting roush but they are really loud and I have no idea how the gt's roush will sound with the V6.
Sponsored