Sponsored

'17 V6 Build - I bought a Mustang?!?!?!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wrenching since before I could drive (legally) and I've been license for going on 30 years. I've owned / built everything from my first car (67 SS Chevelle - a 10 second street car when that actually meant something) to all gen F-Body's, G-Body's, A-Body's, and the last one was a Honda. What?

Let me explain. I wanted a daily driver that was fun to drive and that I could play with. My kid is grown. My requirements were 2 doors and manual transmission. Didn't want new at the time and the prev gen Mustang didn't do much for me (driving wise). Ended up with a '11 Accord Coupe V6, 6 speed manual. 278HP bone stock believe it or not. Modded enough to be capable of 12 second 1/4 mile times (never got a clean pass with the drag radials, TPMS / Traction control related). Then an idiot drive took a left turn in front of me last week. Car totaled.

So the hunt was on. I have several buddies in to Mustangs. One of them convinced me to drive one of the '15 up cars. So I found a '16 EcoBoost 6 speed car locally and drove it. I can understand the attraction to the turbo'd 4 and I don't doubt they can be monsters with small mods + tune - but wasn't my cup of tea.

HOWEVER - the car itself - I couldn't believe I was driving a Mustang. Color me impressed. So I started looking a little deeper. Ended up scoring a new '17 6/6 Mustang Base in Magnetic Metallic the price of what used '15-16 Ecoboost were going for. (Under $22K OTD)

So I started researching forums and found this one. Did plenty of digging / reading already. And some things just sort of fell in place in regards to modding the Mustang, even before I officially took ownership. (Took it home Halloween night).

Going to pick up a '17 GT 3.55 carrier (5K mile take out) for a good price Saturday morning. Thinking this will be a GREAT move up over the factory 3.15 gear set.

Planning to pick up a used aftermarket GT Cat back exhaust this afternoon as well.

Already ordered the Energy Suspension bushing to tighten up the trans mount. Drop in air filter (AFE) on the way as well as the Steeda clutch spring.

Might wait until Black Friday to score a tuner and possibly the MCT tunes - likely won't tune it yet. Need the tuner to adjust for the gear change.

Only thing I know for sure the car is getting soon is wheels / tires and tint. If I could score a decent set of 18" GT Wheels I'd go that route (and paint them black more than likely) but they are scarce around here and if I include shipping, I can just buy a new set of AMR 18x9 Black wheels.

Well that and a shifter.

I got my Hurst Alum T handle to work with the stock shifter last night. Had to keep adjusting the lock nut so the reverse lockout would function. I've had the T-Handle on EVERY manual transmission car (every one of my daily drivers) for at least 20 years. It just works for me. I've tried weighted knobs and everything else and keep coming back to the plain old T-Handle. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But the handle didn't fix the absurdly long shifts. So right now I'm wavering on buying the Boomba Racing shifter or the Steeda short shift lever.

Right now nothing special - just a stock '17 V6 in Magnetic.

The plan is to drive it and beat on it everyday and mess with it along the way. I hope to get some stock dyno readings once the car is broken in (Already have 130 miles on it). It'll get more than its share of 1/4 mile passes at the local tracks come Spring I'm sure.

tofxW1D.jpg
Sponsored

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I've had a manual Magnetic V6 and currently a Race Red automatic V6. First one was a Procharger beta car. There are a few V6 enthusiasts on here but we are greatly outnumbered. We've done everything from Procharger to Ecoboost twin turbos to a current build that I think is trying to use a Roots style supercharger. You'll want to take a look at this site and read all their tech articles on the cyclone engine:

www.supersixmotorsports.com

Also, I have a set of 18" Black TSW Nurburgrings for sale for a good price (18x9.5 and 18x10). Shipping might not be too bad to VA. PM me if you're interested. I only mention it because you said you want 18" AMRs but these would be better being rotary forged and wider and all. :D

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92632

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Gotta see some pics of yours!! Here’s mine to give you some visual ideas but of course everyone’s tastes are different. I have the 18” Foundry wheels which you can buy for less than $1000 with tires and TPMS sensors. I LOVE my V6 and I shout it from the rooftops so while we’re in the minority Were not lacking in enthusiasm!
E9116D7C-B8AC-4DBB-A5DF-3672FE6689AD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the welcome.

Well I scored a MBRP XP Stainless Cat back exhaust today from a cool member of the forum. Must have been meant to be, it was right down the street from the house. Plan on installing it Saturday.

Also going to pick up a set of the 18" Gray Foundry wheels on Sunday.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a manual Magnetic V6 and currently a Race Red automatic V6. First one was a Procharger beta car. There are a few V6 enthusiasts on here but we are greatly outnumbered. We've done everything from Procharger to Ecoboost twin turbos to a current build that I think is trying to use a Roots style supercharger. You'll want to take a look at this site and read all their tech articles on the cyclone engine:

www.supersixmotorsports.com
Thanks for the link, I actually have that site bookmarked already. I search a ton before posting / asking questions.

Honestly after the 3.55 gears, and a tune (after break in) I will likely concentrate on getting the car to hook and be consistent at the track before adding many power mods. I already have drag radials that will work, so I'll be researching getting the most out of the IRS rear setup for a good 60ft time.

After that who knows.

Also, I have a set of 18" Black TSW Nurburgrings for sale for a good price (18x9.5 and 18x10). Shipping might not be too bad to VA. PM me if you're interested. I only mention it because you said you want 18" AMRs but these would be better being rotary forged and wider and all. :D

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92632
Thanks for the offer. I found a set of 18" Foundry wheels I'll be picking up this weekend.

Sponsored

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Just make sure to keep us all posted on your progress. Happy to know there is another proud V6 owner out there.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Welcome to the forums. Even though you are a manual, I think you will still need to re-program the body control module (BCM) for the new gearing once you swap the pumpkin (@zackmd1 , am I correct about this?). You also may want to double check that the differential will work with you axels (not sure if the GT's have different splined axels or not).

And please let us know how the swap goes. I am thinking about eventually doing this, but want to hear other people's reactions.

Cheers

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forums. Even though you are a manual, I think you will still need to re-program the body control module (BCM) for the new gearing once you swap the pumpkin (@zackmd1 , am I correct about this?). You also may want to double check that the differential will work with you axels (not sure if the GT's have different splined axels or not).

And please let us know how the swap goes. I am thinking about eventually doing this, but want to hear other people's reactions.

Cheers
Splines are identical. Torsions / shelbys I think are different. Everything is identical. The 3.7 should have come with 3.31 at least. They did it to spike the average mpg cause they knew it was going away I bet.

I have seen nothing on the BCM w/ the gear change. Flash it and go.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well decided to throw on the MRBP Street XP exhaust I scored from a forum member. My Energy suspension trans mount bushing came in too. Why not.

Exhaust drops on this car are easy. Love that aspect.

The exhaust is designed for the GT - but since a popular mod here is adding OEM GT exhaust, the only difference is tone. The 3.7 isn't as loud as the Coyote, but the exhaust sounds GOOD. ZERO DRONE.

The poly bushing does an amazing job of tightening up the side to side slop in the OEM shifter. No more missed shifts. Will install my Steeda clutch spring sometime shortly.

Don't know if I can wait for a Black Friday deal. These long throws are killing me. Feel like I'm rowing a boat at times. Thinking about the Boomba racing shifter, I wouldn't have to get under the car.

Going to wait until I get a Programmer to install the new pumpkin.

Started to rain. Phone pic of the exhaust.
MBRP Exhaust.JPG

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Boomba Shifter on the way, caved and ordered it last night.

This morning ran down the road and picked up this (from a another great forum member - who had a bad ass supercharged GT - I really like the Competition Orange in person....3.55 Limited Slip with @ 5k miles to replace the anemic 3.15's

Just got through installing the Steeda clutch spring. I thought maybe it was me - how bad the OEM clutch pedal engagement / release - the spring took 10 minutes to install and definitely improved it. Well worth the few $ and the bit of time.

Finally got a chance to give it a quick detail. Believe it or not the Mustang fits in my garage better than the Accord coupe. I actually think the Accord is wider.

Crappy phone pic , overcast outside

Quick wash, one coat of Poorboy's Black Hole, and quick coat of Ultima.
355 Gear.jpg
Quick Detail.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
I swapped out the rear in mine with a
3.55 and put on 18 inch GT wheels and did not change anything in the BCM and the odometer and speedometer are right on when compared to a gps.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
3.55 and put on 18 inch GT wheels and did not change anything in the BCM and the odometer and speedometer are right on when compared to a gps.
How much did that run you? Curious cause I might want to do the swap. What is the most noticeable differences? I only mentioned the BCM because I have an automatic transmission.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Got the rear from Shelby on evilbay for $350 but it cost $150 for shipping so $500 and $300 for the install. The GT wheels and tires cost me $585. Both takeoffs from new cars at Shelby.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly that's really strange. Here's why - Ford keeps all the 'standard' available wheel / tire combos on the Mustang at @ 27" in diameter.

So Base V6 wheel is 17x7.5 with a 235/55/17 tire. That's 27.17" in diameter

Base GT wheel is 18x8 with a 235/50/18 tire. That's 27.25" in diameter

That's why swapping comparable Mustang wheels / tires doesn't effect anything on the car.

BUT swapping from 3.15 gears to 3.55 gears definitely changes things.

SXIaU0e.jpg

That's the effect on your speedometer readings.

Not a big difference, especially at lower speeds, but different nonetheless.

What speeds did you compare to the GPS readings?

Are you sure the shop that did the swap didn't change anything for you as far as programming?

Just realized - is the Mustang speed sensor located in the wheel itself??? If so, then the speedometer would not have been effected at all. And being a manual transmission car, programming isn't really necessary - since you don't have an automatic transmission and its shift points to worry about.

I NEED to verify this today. If so, I'll try to hit the track 11/17 with 3.15, then swap the rears that Saturday night in the garage and then head back 11/25 to the track to see the effect on ET....

Well that explains it - the change from 3.15 to 3.55 is apparently small enough that the ABS Wheel sensor / ECM reads speed at the wheel itself and will adjust

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1811986&postcount=29
Sponsored

Last edited: