Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Not sure if this has already been posted, but someone who interviewed the 2015 Mustang (S550) design team, stated that they are currently working on the 2018 Mustang? Quite fast if that's true, not only development wise, but also faster than the last gen facelift that took 4 1/2 years. Maybe it's gonna be what the 2013 model is to the 2010, rather than what the 2010 was to the 2005? Also, would that mean in comes out in 2017 as a 2018 model or in 2018 itself? I noticed Curic's resume reflects he's still busy with changes to the S550, which probably might explain this.

Quoted from the source:
If you are a Mustang owner, you can rest assured that these teams are working very hard to ensure that this car suits you, what you stand for and what you love.

The final stage is for all these pieces to come together and a prototype car to be built. Once this happens, all the hundreds of sketches that started the process have been narrowed down and refined to become the car that is sitting in front of everyone. To say that it takes A LOT of work, is an understatement. The team is currently working on the 2018 Mustang!
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's a pretty vague remark, but that's a hell of an observation on your end. Good read.

Three to four years has been a pretty standard refresh checkpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see a facelift around the earlier or latter end of that window. What I'm unsure of are a couple of things:

1) full model run cycle
2) powertrain revision cycle

I used to obsessively track BMW's product planning, and they're usually super transparent about their cycles. Powertrains ran on a set four year cycle, independent of model refreshes and full revisions (which had seven year runs with a 3.5 year facelift they call "life cycle impulse" or LCI for short). I wish we had the scoop on the S550 so we had an idea for the looming DI (plus whatever) mods.

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
Wouldn't be surprised to see a power-bump via Direct Injection for GT and maybe a DCT of some sort...gotta catch all those people wanting that kind of stuff.

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
It's a pretty vague remark, but that's a hell of an observation on your end. Good read.

Three to four years has been a pretty standard refresh checkpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see a facelift around the earlier or latter end of that window. What I'm unsure of are a couple of things:

1) full model run cycle
2) powertrain revision cycle

I used to obsessively track BMW's product planning, and they're usually super transparent about their cycles. Powertrains ran on a set four year cycle, independent of model refreshes and full revisions (which had seven year runs with a 3.5 year facelift they call "life cycle impulse" or LCI for short). I wish we had the scoop on the S550 so we had an idea for the looming DI (plus whatever) mods.
Thanks, I also keep a very close eye on such things and glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that BMW is extremely transparent with their product development (except the 7-Series). I'd say the Japanese are the most secretive, followed by the big 3.

I have to wonder if the lifecycle of the Mustang will no longer be a full 10 years and instead shortened to 8 years. Even though it is quite vague that comment, between it and the designer still at work, it has me thinking. If true, it might be the MMC model and might come with powertrain, equipment and design improvements or changes.

It's definitely too early to talk about this, as usually Ford let's the new model have some initial sales, before getting to work on revisions. The 2010 model project got off ground in 2005, after the last gen came out in October of 2004. The 2015 hasn't even gone into production and they might be already working on changes!:shocked::crazy:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Sorry, but did you think they would release the Mustang.. and not develop it, or refine it...?

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Its not surprising. Given the development lead time on a new vehicle - or even a facelifted one - they don't really have time to sit around and have tea parties once the new model is launched. Especially with changes to the Camaro, and whatever FCA does with Challenger, breathing down their necks...

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I doubt the 2018 will be a facelift. More likely some technical upgrades, new engine designs and new gearboxes. The latter having been announced more or less already.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's possible they'd give us DI and a 10-speed auto in the current bodystyle, but I'd bet we'll see it with a refreshed body at the same time.

Time for Chrisvr6 to get Photoshopping :D

In the meantime, here's some "I" made earlier :p

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I would imagine in the 2018ish time frame there will be a face lift like the 2013 was, give or take a year. I am thinking its a safe bet to believe there will be performance updates around the same time the next camaro comes out.

Reactions: RBH

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Geesus we're already talking about the 2018 now?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I would imagine in the 2018ish time frame there will be a face lift like the 2013 was, give or take a year. I am thinking its a safe bet to believe there will be performance updates around the same time the next camaro comes out.
I'd bet on it. The sport coupe market is fickle. While some of us die-hard Mustang fans would buy one facelifted or not, when trying to appeal to OTMs (Other Than Mustang fans), they'll want new and fresh. Frankly, I'm surprised that S197 went as long as it did without refresh, but retro was still strong then. When going in new, bold directions, Ford will have to stay on top of it to keep buyer interested.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The way gasoline prices are going I hope it is NOT all electric! LOL.
Sponsored