Sponsored

BBK vs JBA shorties

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
Curious if there is a difference in flow performance between the two sets of headers. Any one have the JBA's installed?
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Curious if there is a difference in flow performance between the two sets of headers. Any one have the JBA's installed?
Gonna be about the same as your true restriction are the cats and not the manifolds. Get whichever ones are the better price.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
who makes high flow cats for ours, or does it really matter and i can pretty much just add which ever one i want?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
who makes high flow cats for ours, or does it really matter and i can pretty much just add which ever one i want?
High flow cats are a sham and sometimes cause more troubles than what they are worth and usually don't last as long. Nothing is going to beat the stock cats as far as quality is concerned. Going long tubes or ORP w/ the shorties are going to net you the best gains (with long tubes being the best). The only trade off is passing emissions depending on what state you live in. You will definitely need a tune if you go cat-less.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not really looking to go catless, even though i live in FL where emissions arent strictly enforced. I would be afraid I wouldn't have enough backpressure in the exhaust if i took the cats out. Looks like BBK is the winner here.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not really looking to go catless, even though i live in FL where emissions arent strictly enforced. I would be afraid I wouldn't have enough backpressure in the exhaust if i took the cats out. Looks like BBK is the winner here.
Sounds like a plan. You'll gain all around going catless without losing torque on either header design (granted you have a tune). Backpressure is a bad thing, what you're looking for is velocity (which is probably what you meant). Nothing wrong with wanting to be emissions compliant. As of now I'm still rocking the stock manifolds and cats here. Oh yeah I hear lots are having issues with the gaskets that come with aftermarket headers. If you can, try reusing the stock exhaust manifold gaskets for the best seal as those BBK gaskets are known to blow out.

OP
OP
bizkitlimped

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah i read about the bbk gasket issues. Once my income tax drops its on lol.

Headers
Mpt 93prx
Bmr vertical links
Bmr cradle lockout
Bmr rlca bearings
Bmr diff bushing kit
Frpp toe knuckle bearing
And possibly a drivshaft if i got enough funds

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
honestly the stock cats arnt that bad. I have bbk shorties and for a short time played with catless mid pipes. it took a ton of re tunes to get the car running right, and in a bunch of track aps testing I did, I only saw a gain of .1 and 1mph in the 1/4. and it sounded like crap lol....and I tried all kinds of x pipe and muffler combos and never found one I liked

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issues you guys are having with long tubes are poor quality control from BBK regarding bad o2 placement and shoddy gaskets/fitment. They put them too far downstream and that gives the ecu all sorts of tuning issues versus the stock placement as they are way too far downstream. O2 sensor connections do not like to be extended as that will screw with the readings and give you bog issues. Address those issues and I'm willing to bet there will be no comparison between the two nor will you lose low end. I've never lost low end on 4 banger with long tubes and I doubt I will on this engine. I will either be running headers that have the proper OE o2 sensor locations or drill out the appropriate locations so these issues will not occur.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i was going to get shorties, but now i will just stick with a resonator delete and an mpt tune 93

Sponsored

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering there's no moving parts and it's a simple shorty header, I think you would be fine. I've always had good experience with ebay headers. I would use the OE gaskets vs. any aftermarket header crush gaskets though.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even though I'm not a big fan of shorty headers, at that price I might give those Ebay shorties whirl for the sake of R&D. For $170 (vs the $300 - $400 BBKs), we might have another cheap alternative product to BBK's stuff. Stay tuned :D

UPDATE: Just ordered the Ebay headers linked above. One thing I have noticed is that even though they are not ceramic coated, they are stainless steel vs. the sketchy mild steel that BBK uses. I will take detailed pictures showing the welds, quality, etc. once I get them (at worse I can return them if I notice any warping or discrepancies). To make them live long I will coat them in high temp BBQ flat black grill paint. For reference here is a picture illustrating the build quality of BBK's entry level "chrome" mild-steel headers: http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index.php/topic/209-thoughts-on-bbk-shorty-headers/page-10#entry10122 This does not seem to be worth the $310 for that level of build quality from a "name brand". The ceramic coated BBK shorties do not seem much cleaner neither for $410 imho. We shall see how well these Speedstarz stainless steel headers compare soon!

Last edited:

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Even though I'm not a big fan of shorty headers, at that price I might give those Ebay shorties whirl for the sake of R&D. For $170 (vs the $300 - $400 BBKs), we might have another cheap alternative product to BBK's stuff. Stay tuned :D

UPDATE: Just ordered the Ebay headers linked above. One thing I have noticed is that even though they are not ceramic coated, they are stainless steel vs. the sketchy mild steel that BBK uses. I will take detailed pictures showing the welds, quality, etc. once I get them (at worse I can return them if I notice any warping or discrepancies). To make them live long I will coat them in high temp BBQ flat black grill paint. For reference here is a picture illustrating the build quality of BBK's entry level "chrome" mild-steel headers: http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index.php/topic/209-thoughts-on-bbk-shorty-headers/page-10#entry10122 This does not seem to be worth the $310 for that level of build quality from a "name brand". The ceramic coated BBK shorties do not seem much cleaner neither for $410 imho. We shall see how well these Speedstarz stainless steel headers compare soon!
Subbed in looking into long tube headers myself.
Sponsored