Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Honestly, I can't believe we're still guessing and talking hypotheticals about the 2018 MY numbers.

Ford has done a hell of a job keeping the info secret. Nothing has been leaked.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Honestly, I can't believe we're still guessing and talking hypotheticals about the 2018 MY numbers.

Ford has done a hell of a job keeping the info secret. Nothing has been leaked.
Definitely much more secure than our Executive branch.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain. Peak power potential* will not be significantly higher on pump gas from the DI alone. The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI. That is the only real area where the 18+ 5.0L will hold an advantage over the '15-'17, particularly a tuned '15-'17. My car right now has higher crank HP than the '18 will have, guaranteed.

There are other things that I cannot share, legally.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a very good engine. On paper, it is superior in nearly every way. The '15 took everything good about the '11-'14 Coyote, made those better, and made it more robust simultaneously. I know which one I'd want to own for years to come, vs. one to keep for a few years and trade in.

*higher peak power can be achieved while meeting emissions with DI.
DI was only problematic when they were doing DI only. The dual injection systems take the core issue of DI out of the equation. Valve deposits caused the main issues, as you no longer delivered fuel detergency to the top of the valve via PFI. With DIG+PFI, you get the precision and improved combustion of DI, with the reliability of PFI. The only negatives of this system are complexity and cost. The benefits are better fuel economy, improved atomization, precision injection events, and lower emissions.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
There is no modern car that I would keep forever simply from the cost of maintaining it especially after parts stop being produced. Classic car parts are super easy to make and cost/supply will always be there. Modern electronics become obsolete too damn quick for any company to want to continue producing them for any extended period of time. 30 years from now the ECU/BCM and things like the SRS modules will be expensive paper weights.
Agreed. There isn't a Tv, computer, or any tech device for that matter that I would consider keeping forever. No such thing as future proofing your tech. Unless proofing it for 5 years is what you mean.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
DI was only problematic when they were doing DI only. The dual injection systems take the core issue of DI out of the equation. Valve deposits caused the main issues, as you no longer delivered fuel detergency to the top of the valve via PFI. With DIG+PFI, you get the precision and improved combustion of DI, with the reliability of PFI. The only negatives of this system are complexity and cost. The benefits are better fuel economy, improved atomization, precision injection events, and lower emissions.
Yes those worries are generally not an issue with PFI+DI.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

*Should

There is no guarantee this is the case in reality.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
*Should

There is no guarantee this is the case in reality.
It isn't new, and has been proven to work in several other engines. I think they are using my company to supply some of these components, and we have been working with DI for quite some time.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It isn't new, and has been proven to work in several other engines. I think they are using my company to supply some of these components, and we have been working with DI for quite some time.

It's all about execution.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's all about execution.
True, and bugs are quite common. However, I have had good experiences with the Ford development programs on the diesel side. I guess I will just be thankful I have a warranty with a 1st gen system. :)

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Agreed. There isn't a Tv, computer, or any tech device for that matter that I would consider keeping forever. No such thing as future proofing your tech. Unless proofing it for 5 years is what you mean.
This sort of depends on what your definition of "forever" is. For a mass produced car like the Mustang you will be able to get parts for a very, very long time. And who knows, in 40 years you can just have your garage parts assembler fabricate you new ones on demand.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If anything, the new Coyote will be noisier. I'm just waiting for the posts already. "What's this ticking sound coming from my engine???"

Hope the HPFP doesn't have any "cricket" issues like the BRZ/FR-S and Acura models had. Highly annoying issue and 5 years later there's still no fix for it. I can say though, I had 0 issues with DI + PI in the 2013 FR-S when I owned it.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
If anything, the new Coyote will be noisier. I'm just waiting for the posts already. "What's this ticking sound coming from my engine???"

Hope the HPFP doesn't have any "cricket" issues like the BRZ/FR-S and Acura models had. Highly annoying issue and 5 years later there's still no fix for it. I can say though, I had 0 issues with DI + PI in the 2013 FR-S when I owned it.

This has been discussed a few times in this thread.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I honestly see the S550 as a continuation of the New Edge design to a degree. Maybe that's why SN95 and New Edge have aged so well, they were ahead of the curve.
I've thought the same thing, at least regarding the New-Edge - S550 connection.

The funny thing about how styles age is that our view of them changes with time. I remember that when the SN95 replaced the Fox body, I thought it was amazing. So much newer than the old car (probably bolstered by how long in the tooth the Fox cars were). And when it got facelifted in '99, I thought the changes just killed it. They took the organic, flowing form and forced the lines and edges on it. Blah. Fast foward 18 years, I own two New Edge cars, and (as I said above) can imagine a lineage connection from them to the current car. To me, now, the original SN95 looks soft and melty, old. Somehow or another, what looked great to me at the time has transposed with what absolutely did not like when new. I think the facelifted SN95 has stood up over time better than the original version. My current driver:

34564854545_295eb3657d_b.jpg

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP

The funny thing about how styles age is that our view of them changes with time. I remember that when the SN95 replaced the Fox body, I thought it was amazing. So much newer than the old car (probably bolstered by how long in the tooth the Fox cars were). And when it got facelifted in '99, I thought the changes just killed it. They took the organic, flowing form and forced the lines and edges on it. Blah. Fast foward 18 years, I own two New Edge cars, and (as I said above) can imagine a lineage connection from them to the current car. To me, now, the original SN95 looks soft and melty, old. Somehow or another, what looked great to me at the time has transposed with what absolutely did not like when new. I think the facelifted SN95 has stood up over time better than the original version. My current driver:

[IM G]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4194/34564854545_295eb3657d_b.jpg[/IMG]
I agree, the SN95 is partially what got me into Mustangs because it was the current generation when I was growing up. I remember my first time seeing them when I was a toddler, I wanted one with "horizontal tail lights" to quote myself, because I thought they were the coolest thing. I'd still love to own a clean SN95 GT, or a Mach 1.

I can see the same thing happening with S550. Twenty years from now the 15-17 cars will still look good because it's a more conservative design, and it has a good balance between organic and inorganic. The refresh is just too radical, too aggressive for the sake of being aggressive for me. It worked for New Edge because the entire car was made aggressive. To me, the refresh is analogous to throwing a New Edge front fascia on an SN95 body and rear fascia. It just looks wrong.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT

34564854545_295eb3657d_b.jpg
Here is/was mine. This was probably the last time it looked good (around 2010/11). Since then the whole front bumper been messed up along with the foglights and chin spoiler destroyed by some huge chunk of god knows what that was on the interstate. Most recently got side swiped while parked on the curb, truck tire dragged along the driver side quarter panel and broke the mirror off. Got a lot of door dings at the office parking lot. Haven't driven it more than 10 times since I bought my Jeep last Jan. When I get the 18 I'll probably have to give my SN95 away since it's probably not worth the Bilstein dampeners it sits on. Still starts up immediately and runs great on the probably 4 month old gas, though...just really rough cosmetically.
car.jpg
Sponsored