Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Thats the line people trot out when they have no real argument or discussion left. I have no dog in the fight either way, but that front end is horrible.
I've been waiting on the refresh and I like the 18 compared to the 17, but I'm looking at the 18 to keep my 14 company.:D
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The first two surveys are from 2013...
Again, still means more from people who were not already mentally invested in a 6th gen Mustang. (Especially if some of this is based off of a camo'd "reveal").

Many car guys have a certain defensiveness about them when changes are made to their car where they want to believe what they have is better so they don't have to feel bad about when they chose to buy and/or not upgrading. (Similar defensiveness comes into play when comparing their car to those from other brands)

It's possible this is more than that, but I'm definitely not convinced by the data provided.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It was a new engine though. This is just a revision. The reason I say 485 is unlikely is because Ford doesn't NEED 485. They need to bump it a bit to make it more appealing to current S550 owners for an upgrade because they won't have the most powerful stock GT anymore, and because Ford needs to keep the GT competitive with the competition in the same class (SS and Challenger's base V8). They outsell the hell out of their competitors already so they don't necessarily need to make a car faster than those competitors --it just needs to be right up there with the others so there's no complete winner in the horsepower/performance war. People who want the fastest car will make it faster regardless of the start point, as long as that starting point is already close. If the GT was only 300hp and the others were 400+, it would be less attractive from a performance standpoint. The consumer would have to spend considerably more money just to get even with the stock competition.

If they run it up to 485 unnecessarily (presuming that's possible with the Coyote naturally aspirated), they've now played all their cards. It's like when a new phone comes out and has one-upped the competition just a hair..they could two-up the competition if they wanted to, but why do that when all they need is a slight edge to attract buyers. They save it for the next revision. Plus you gotta leave some in the tank for the aftermarket parts, tuners, etc.

Seeing as we only have 2 years of the S550 left, I would say that playing all of their cards during this revision won't mean much in the long term. It's almost over.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Seeing as we only have 2 years of the S550 left, I would say that playing all of their cards during this revision won't mean much in the long term. It's almost over.
Three years left.

2021 MY is the S650.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Yep, and the first poll was from Aug 13, way before the unveiling and is apparently based on camouflage pictures. I guess everyone was just that psyched to get an IRS after 50 years.
Yep. Over enthusiastic enthusiasts. Nothing wrong with that, but can hardly use the poll for ammo that the response to the 2015 was overwhelmingly positive compared to the '18s

Again, still means more from people who were not already mentally invested in a 6th gen Mustang. (Especially if some of this is based off of a camo'd "reveal").

Many car guys have a certain defensiveness about them when changes are made to their car where they want to believe what they have is better so they don't have to feel bad about when they chose to buy and/or not upgrading. (Similar defensiveness comes into play when comparing their car to those from other brands)

It's possible this is more than that, but I'm definitely not convinced by the data provided.

I'm not disagreeing with you - just stating that the polls were taken in the time frame you had said would have made them more valid. I don't think the comparison of those 3 polls conclusively tell anyone anything.

One of the reasons why: let's agree that when the s550 was first unveiled the response from the entire mustang community was overwhelmingly positive.

Now let's pretend that the front end for the 2015 was identical to what is going on the '18s. Does anyone honestly believe, in absence of having ever seen the 2015-17 front end, the response would have been any less positive?

I don't. And because of this, it is hard for me to put much faith in those polls - insofar as them 'proving' the looks of the '15 was a hit and the '18 is a relative miss.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Three years left.

2021 MY is the S650.
Yep. I suspect pretty much exactly 3 years from when one can drive away in an '18, one will be able to drive away in a s650.

Last edited:

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
Didnt people used to complain about how the 2015's front end looked just like the Ford Fusion? People complained about the front end then and they are doing it again now. Nothing's changed :shrug:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Didnt people used to complain about how the 2015's front end looked just like the Ford Fusion? People complained about the front end then and they are doing it again now. Nothing's changed :shrug:
Yes, yes they did. Yes, yes they are. No, nothing has changed. Pretty standard fair.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
If they could offer you 485 while keeping mpg, emissions, traction, and your insurance premiums intact they would.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
All this talk of how many hp will it be, and how will it compete with Camaro and Challenger, and make '15 owners want to upgrade....I just wish Ford would do one thing: step up the quality game. Make it have world-class quality especially if prices are going to be in the 40s for god's sake! No more vibrating drivetrains, no more interior squeaks, no more corroding hoods and panels that don't fit right. This is not what a $45,000 car is supposed to be like.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
All this talk of how many hp will it be, and how will it compete with Camaro and Challenger, and make '15 owners want to upgrade....I just wish Ford would do one thing: step up the quality game. Make it have world-class quality especially if prices are going to be in the 40s for god's sake! No more vibrating drivetrains, no more interior squeaks, no more corroding hoods and panels that don't fit right. This is not what a $45,000 car is supposed to be like.
I completely agree, but the thing is, a mustang gt is a 20k dollar car with a v8 and some upgrades shoved in there.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
And put some sort of underbody protection on to stop the floor pan from getting road rash and rusting out, all other car makers can do it, even other Ford makes.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Ford potentially putting 485 hp in the standard GT is not them playing all their cards. Remember Ford Performance promised 12 models by 2020. Depending on how you count, we're roughly halfway there. So around 6 more models in these next 3 model years. They won't be all Mustangs, but I'm fairly certain there will be several special editions, all with more horsepower (probably some with different engines). They can bump up the 5.0 now because it'll be plenty high to keep people interested for 3 years that don't buy the special editions. And I'd bet the motor will just get carried over mostly unchanged for S650 if the N/A V8 does end up surviving to the next gen.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
The Coyote 2011/12 had 412hp and in 2013/14 was bumped to 420, a 2% increase.

The 15/16/17 Coyote was bumped to 435hp over the 13/14 for a 3.6% increase.

If the 2018 gets 485hp as some have speculated that'd be an 11.5% bump. That doesn't seem reasonable.
Sponsored