Sponsored

73mm bbk throttle body upgrade!

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Well I just jumped on the bandwagon and got a TB of my own! The difference? I will be adapting a stock GT TB for use on our 3.7's... I could not bring myself to spend $400+ on just a throttle body. The GT TB's can be bought on ebay for around $50!!

It will not be a direct bolt on but a simple adapter plate should be all that's needed to make it work. I will keep you guys updated on my progress!
I've already done it. =) I will have a write-up soon with dimensions ready to bring to a machine shop. No adapter needed, it all matches up! :cheers:

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I've already done it. =) I will have a write-up soon with dimensions ready to bring to a machine shop. No adapter needed, it all matches up! :cheers:

Stole my thunder!!!! :frusty::frusty::frusty:

:D

Nice work!

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Well I just jumped on the bandwagon and got a TB of my own! The difference? I will be adapting a stock GT TB for use on our 3.7's... I could not bring myself to spend $400+ on just a throttle body. The GT TB's can be bought on ebay for around $50!!

It will not be a direct bolt on but a simple adapter plate should be all that's needed to make it work. I will keep you guys updated on my progress!
Tuning for it might be a nightmare unless the electronics are the same. Also I don't know the factory manifold inlet size but unless you port your manifold inlet to close to 80mm you will be shrouding the throttle body which will cause turbulence and reversion which will cause funky throttle response. I had this issue with a BBK 90mm on my 13GT. I fixed it by porting my manifold to 90mm from 83.5mm stock and removing the neck down adapter. It made a huge difference in response once I did it.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Tuning for it might be a nightmare unless the electronics are the same. Also I don't know the factory manifold inlet size but unless you port your manifold inlet to close to 80mm you will be shrouding the throttle body which will cause turbulence and reversion which will cause funky throttle response. I had this issue with a BBK 90mm on my 13GT. I fixed it by porting my manifold to 90mm from 83.5mm stock and removing the neck down adapter. It made a huge difference in response once I did it.
No tuning nightmares, no port matching needed, no driveabilty issues, electronics interchange. :ford: I will be posting a write-up after work in its thread own so the BBK 73MM thread isn't hijacked. The V6 turning into a speed density engine versus MAF makes things like this go a lot smoother.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Oh I was reading about people using the gt's 80mm TB on another mustang forums for the 11-14 v6s. I've been wondering if we could do that too. Glad to know you guys are hard at work for the V6 cause. I'll be waiting for the write up on the how to.

Edit: I remember reading that for the 14s and earlier they had to machine/modify the mountings of the gt TB for it to mount. I'm curious to know what the process is.

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
No tuning nightmares, no port matching needed, no driveabilty issues, electronics interchange. :ford: I will be posting a write-up after work in its thread own so the BBK 73MM thread isn't hijacked. The V6 turning into a speed density engine versus MAF makes things like this go a lot smoother.
Very interested in this!! Some pics and a write up will be awesome!

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Write-up now posted in a new thread to avoid taking over the BBK 73mm TB info thread. :thumbsup:

S550bluegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt perf pkg m6
I had the spacer on before the new throttle body. I'm sure it'll fit but the opening on it is smaller so I didn't want to use it with the new throttle body.
All spacers on the market are designed for the inner bore of a stock throttle body, however there is 1 spacer on the market from a small Canadian company called MiR Performance that has their bore designed to work with BBK throttle body upgrades.

Here's a link to their website - > MiR Performance <-

They don't have a large product line as they're fairly new but definitely check them out.

bro

Rollin/Relaxin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SB_2016_V6_M/T
Can anyone speak to the actual increase in sound from the BBK TB? Or better yet, a before/after video? Is it that noticeable? Not looking to imitate a V8, just curious about the impact.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Can anyone speak to the actual increase in sound from the BBK TB? Or better yet, a before/after video? Is it that noticeable? Not looking to imitate a V8, just curious about the impact.
My GT throttle body (80mm) did not increase the noise all that much. Maybe a little more intake noise but it could be from the new intake pipe I used.

I would personally consider the GT throttle body upgrade over the BBK. It is a little more involved but so far for me it has been an amazing mod. More power and better driveability

Sponsored

bro

Rollin/Relaxin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SB_2016_V6_M/T
Thanks- Still considering the BBK for easy bolt-on-ability. Anyone else care to comment on the sound increase (or lack) from the actual 73mm BBK?

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Ya I bought the BBK 73mm when my stock one failed which was before ford sent out those nice letters letting us know it could happen and they will fix it, but at the time I did not want to get into it with a dealership.

Anyways sound is the same and didn't have a chance to datalog before so gains are unknown but anytime you can get more airflow into the engine I assume it would help... Unlike my unhelpful answer to your question lol

bro

Rollin/Relaxin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SB_2016_V6_M/T
Ya I bought the BBK 73mm when my stock one failed which was before ford sent out those nice letters letting us know it could happen and they will fix it, but at the time I did not want to get into it with a dealership.

Anyways sound is the same and didn't have a chance to datalog before so gains are unknown but anytime you can get more airflow into the engine I assume it would help... Unlike my unhelpful answer to your question lol
Did your stock TB fail completely? Or was there some indication of it not working properly? I've had mine replaced under warranty already at the first service, but the car seems pretty dead/laggy in some gears, especially 3rd. Not sure if it's related.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Didn't notice anything wrong up until it failed, I was at a stop light I went to go and the car threw a code and the rpms were stuck at 3k, the tb actually was stuck open, I forgot the code it was like throttle body actuator stuck open. Turned on and off the car a few times and it finally went into limp mode and I got home somehow. This all happened at about 5000 miles. Hope this helps.

P.S. My car feels dead also in the low end of the powerband i.e under 3k rpm, theres just not alota torque in that range. Try shifting at 4k. When crusing I shift : 1st - 2.5k 2nd - 4k 3rd - 4k.. i dont always stick to that but it defiantly helps, just not your mpg. Also try a higher octane gas, i beleive the ecu will know and add some timing even on stock tune.

Last edited:

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just picked up a BBK TB off eBay for $300. Hopefully this should give my car more power in the low to mid band. It does seem like the V6 comes stock with an inferior throttle body and this seems to be a pretty big choke point. I'll see how much difference it makes, but my car was on recall for this part too, maybe I can get some of the cash back from the dealer.
Sponsored