Custom Oil Catch Can

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Instead of paying $100-$200 for a name brand catch can, I decided to start a project of building my own from various parts and vendors, some of which I already owned.

I started off purchasing a generic catch can from amazon for around $25, then going to the local auto parts store and purchasing the correct size rubber hose to attach to the PCV valves and to the catch can. I believe I used 3/8" diameter hose. I purchased copper tubing which I cut to size and used JB Weld to hold together, although I shouldve brazed the metals together (copper to copper and copper to aluminum can). I wrapped the drilled copper tubing in steel wool. All of this created a baffle for the oil vapors to be trapped inside the previously empty can.

I then attached the baffled can to the drivers side of the engine because that was basically the only free space I could find to mount it. On the passengers side, I used a K&N breather filter.

After about a month or so of using this setup, the catch can caught a decent amount of oil vapor just from the drivers side! While checking to see how much was caught, I also realized that the JB Weld did not hold up against the anodized aluminum can with the high temperature and oil vapors. It had completely broken off and was just hanging around inside the can, (i.e. no more baffle).

I decided it was time to figure out how incorporate the passengers side to my design. I did this by drilling out a 3/4" hole on the lid of the catch can because that is the same diameter as the bottom of the K&N breather. I fitted the breather in and it was very snug. I sealed it by using silicon. I routed 3/8" rubber hose from the passengers side to the other inlet of the catch can. I now have both sides of the engine's PCV valves hooked up to the catch can with a K&N filter as a breather on top. For a baffle now, I just filled the can with steel wool to provide some type of baffle to catch the oil vapors.

All in, I spent a total of ~$40-$50 on new material for this entire project.
Photo Dec 13, 11 22 55 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 23 11 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 23 23 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 23 52 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 24 09 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 24 21 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 24 31 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 24 46 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 24 59 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 13, 11 25 25 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Thanks for the write up. So it may end up costing the same. But atleast you do catch oil.
I don't know if I'll make my own or buy a kit but I'll definitely be putting a catch can on the driver side.

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up. So it may end up costing the same. But atleast you do catch oil.
I don't know if I'll make my own or buy a kit but I'll definitely be putting a catch can on the driver side.
Im not sure actually. I think it depends how much the K&N breathers cost. You could probably buy a knock off brand filter. Rubber hose was about $10, can was $25, steel wool was $3, and then however much the breather is... that would be the total, so I guess not actually. If you do the copper tubing, that will increase the cost though.

BE6Pony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 15 V6 / Focus ST / 14 Fiesta S
I pay for convenience, Nice write up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
I pay for convenience, Nice write up.
I usually agree with you, but lately being a broke college student has been catching up with me haha :headbonk:

I have also been in a "building mood" lately, always wanting to create something...

BE6Pony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 15 V6 / Focus ST / 14 Fiesta S
I usually agree with you, but lately being a broke college student has been catching up with me haha :headbonk:

I have also been in a "building mood" lately, always wanting to create something...

Nothing wrong with that with the holidays I have been painfully broke as well.
Sponsored