What spark plugs should I be running?

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Planning on getting the ford procal tune put on in the coming weeks and one of the first things I hear about getting a tune is that you have to change the spark plugs to accommodate it. Anyone have any suggestions for which ones to buy?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Denso IVT22

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
You should be running stock plugs for FP tune gapped at .28 they were tuned with these plugs and there is nothing wrong with these plugs. 1-step colder is simply too fold for this application and they will foul quick as I have seen first hand.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION], what plugs are you running with the FP tune?

I'm a big fan of the Brisk RR14S plugs and have been running them for some time. I've used every plug on the market, and in my experiences, these have been the better plugs all around. Brisk > NGK > Denso.

Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
kiszl - in the end, speak to the people that will do your tune. They will have the most experience and should be in the best place to give you an informed recommendation.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
From reading the various e-tune websites, most now recommend the NGK 6510s.
I switched to these after a tune and 20,000 miles, idles smoother and seem great. You definitely need to gap them as they are not consistent out of the box.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION], what plugs are you running with the FP tune?

I'm a big fan of the Brisk RR14S plugs and have been running them for some time. I've used every plug on the market, and in my experiences, these have been the better plugs all around. Brisk > NGK > Denso.
I've run Brisk plugs in the past without issue until I tuned. I had an issue with the RR14YS plugs with the Livernois 93 tune, I cracked an insulator on #4 if you recall that whole incident.

They were running too hot for the tune, but worked great stock. I did run the RR14S for a while with the Livernois 91 and 93 tunes, but I had too much fouling, too cold for the application. Both Ford Performance and Livernois recomended OE or OE equivalent plugs. The OE plugs are a semi-projected type. They protrude less than typical standard projected types, but more than non-projected types.

If your running a hotter tune though than what I'm running the RR14S should work quite well for the application, especially at high boost and with ethanol blends as they do very well at resisting spark blow out due to the good conductivity of the silver electrode.

Right now I have OE quivalents (AutoLite XP's) simple because the Ford OE plugs weren't available locally. For the Ford Performance tune stock plugs are the order of the day. Same if you run Livernois or the Cobb Stage 1's because you not adding enough heat.

OP
OP
kiszl

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] thank you man, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. I'll stay running the stock plugs for the FP tune then.

Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm running OE on my Livernois 93 tune after running the Brisk plugs. Everything is running smooth and dandy. Livernois told me that OE was recommended, but if I had to upgrade then to use NGK 6510s.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
It all depends on the tune and fuel. Running too cold can also cause knock. It's not the plug over heating that's the issue in that case. It's the fouling. All of the carbon deposits on the plug that is too cold to burn them off start to built up and cause misfires or poor ignition which increases deposits which then can cause pre-ignition. Deposits are the primary source, use a plug that is properly rated for the power application, sometimes a little testing is the only way to determine that on after market tunes or highly modified cars. Too hot or too cold is bad. Just right is well...just right. 1 step colder isn't necessarily better. I'd follow Ford Performance and Livernois recommendations for their tunes. I had issues with a cracked plug insulator on the RR14YS (more projected than stock) causing detonation, but then was seeing fouling with the RR14S (non-projected). The Ford OE plugs are semi-projected, right in-between so I'd stick with those regarding these two particular engine calibrations.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
It's all in finding what works with your setup. The best thing to do is pull the plugs, read them, and then adjust from there.
Sponsored