Colder spark plugs with tune?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Is anyone here running colder spark plugs with their tune(s)? I know that it's usually a good practice, and even Ford recommends two ranges colder with their FoST tune, but I'm having a difficult time finding any information on what plugs we have and what would be a step or two steps colder.

TIA!
Sponsored

Last edited:

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
I will be based on recommendations from people on here; NGK 6510 are the one heat range colder, Rock Auto has them the cheapest I have found, I have a 5% discount code if anyone wants it and I know Torrie from Unleashed sells them as well.

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I just found some too...finally!

According to FSWerks, the stock plug for the 2.3EB is Motorcraft CYFS-12Y-2 (CYFS12Y2). I used RockAuto to pull up the factory plug for my 2.0EB Fusion, and guess what, it uses the same plug (which I had my suspicions that it would)! So, with that discovered, I can use an extra set of 1 step colder plugs that I already have.

Denso ITV22 plugs are one step colder and Denso ITV24 plugs are two steps colder, so that's more options to add to the table. And if you're on a budget, the Denso plugs are about $1 cheaper.

I'm going to install them as soon as I receive my tuner this week and will confirm the above. I'll add the following for future reference and searches about this topic.

One range colder plugs:
---------------------------
NGK 6510 (Iridium) - 1 step colder
Denso ITV22 (Iridium) - 1 step colder

Two ranges colder plugs:
----------------------------
Denso ITV24

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Here's a discount code for RockAuto with instructions on how to enter it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply. Click the "Apply" button and your discount will be subtracted from your parts order total.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.
The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on April 12, 2015 so don't wait!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once this code expires, I'll try to post the new one.

YellowBee

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Eco-boost Mustang
Only $1.36 off (4) plugs. HA

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Bought mine off Amazon because I wanted the free 2 day shipping. :p

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Has anyone ran the NGKs yet?

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Ok after doing some research it seems like the general consensus is that for every 75-100hp gain one heat range colder plug should be used...so the stock plug should be good ? ? ?

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Ok after doing some research it seems like the general consensus is that for every 75-100hp gain one heat range colder plug should be used...so the stock plug should be good ? ? ?
With my mods n tune my stock plugs still look good after few thousand miles. I think after I finish the exhaust I'll switch to the 6510s gapped at .030.

Last edited:

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So would it hurt to change the plug now since more mods are to come or wait till the mods happen?
Too cold a plug will cause carbon build up and most likely foul the plugs. I'd wait, but with a one step colder plug your not going to blow up your car...worse case you foul them and car won't start.

boosted_orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Too cold a plug will cause carbon build up and most likely foul the plugs. I'd wait, but with a one step colder plug your not going to blow up your car...worse case you foul them and car won't start.
Ok I'll wait till all mods are done:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Will it run poorly with the stock plugs and a tune? No. Will it run poorly with a range colder than stock plugs? No. I've ran it both ways without problems.

However, where it helps is in reduced detonation or the reduced chance of detonation. Sometimes you might get a bad batch of gas, and if you have a tune, especially a more aggressive tune, colder plugs can help mitigate any potential issues with situations like that.

While I agree that too cold of a plug will develop carbon buildup which will cause the car to misfire and run poorly, one range colder isn't going to do that on these EcoBoost engines. I've had plenty of experience with running colder plugs both on this platform and others.

Everyone seems to trust Ford, right? Even Ford recommends two ranges colder on the FoST with their FRPP tune. Surely Ford would know what they're doing!

For the low cost, it's just good insurance to help make sure your engine runs well and doesn't get damaged.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Last edited: