Sponsored

Cooled Seats

bossgt1982

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost.1982 mustang gt
Are the cooled seats supposed to cool the back and bottom of the seat. Only seems to cool the bottom of the drivers seat. Mine does not seem to be working correctly. Bringing car in this week under warranty.
Sponsored

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
My 15 cooled both seat and back just fine and on my 18 you can actually hear the air blowing through the back of the seat.

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt, Ruby Red Metallic, Premium, PP, 401a
My 2016 just cools the bottom portion of the seat. Not a big fan and the A/C seats. Its feels like my pants are wet.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Am I the only one on here with a pair of cooled seats that actually works? Mine work great and cool your back and ass. When I remote start the car and get in it after a few minutes the seats are actually cold and like sitting in a seat that was in the refrigerator for the first minute.

Do any of you that are having issues use a creamy type leather conditioner goo? That could clog the air cooling "pores". Or maybe your back/ass is just too fat and basically is like a wall in front of the cooling pores. Maybe your wearing non-breathable fabric??

It's like the effect if you put a board over the out of an air conditioner or closed a vent. No airflow = no cooling.

I'm not calling anyone fat I'm just coming up with real world possibilities why it seems some but not most people's seat cooling doesn't work.

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
^Yes, you're probably one of the rare few.

Sucks to say, but there's nothing wrong. That's the normal consensus -- seat back cooling is barely noticeable (if at all) in the Mustang. This is especially obvious if you've driven or owned any other Ford vehicles with cooled seats -- F150, Edge, Fusion, etc. I work at a dealership. This is a common complaint/observation.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
^Yes, you're probably one of the rare few.

Sucks to say, but there's nothing wrong. That's the normal consensus -- seat back cooling is barely noticeable (if at all) in the Mustang. This is especially obvious if you've driven or owned any other Ford vehicles with cooled seats -- F150, Edge, Fusion, etc. I work at a dealership. This is a common complaint/observation.
Because most people sit with their back totally against the seat back. No airflow = no cooling. It's pretty simple I think.

The seat back/ass cooling works amazing as I prove by the remote start. When your sitting there the main back airflow area is blocked by your back.

If I have thicker shorts /shirt I definitely feel it less.

I'm not a huge dude so maybe more of the pores are open to me vs a taller/larger person.

Also I think people are expecting too much from a TED device. They can only remove so much heat. It's not like there is an air conditioner vent feeding the seat, or feeding the TED.. if this were the case it would make them amazing for everyone just not some.

But it's not so this is what we have to live with.

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
Because most people sit with their back totally against the seat back. No airflow = no cooling. It's pretty simple I think.

The seat back/ass cooling works amazing as I prove by the remote start. When your sitting there the main back airflow area is blocked by your back.

If I have thicker shorts /shirt I definitely feel it less.
I'm glad your seats work to your satisfaction. :cheers:

Sitting with my back completely against the seat in any other Ford vehicle equipped with cooled seats will still result in my back being fully cooled. The Mustang is the only one that typically fails to achieve this.

One example: I know a customer who is on his 3rd GT convertible and he too thinks the cooled seats perform poorly in all 3 that he's owned. He daily drives an Explorer Sport, so when he bought his first GT back in 2015, he came and asked me to get his Mustang's cooled seats checked. He noticed the same thing in his 2016, and again in the 2018 he just got. He's not a big guy either. He's like 5'7"... maybe 140-ish pounds... I dunno.

Anyways... I'm glad yours work to your sanctification. But again, we get customers regularly saying the Mustang seats don't cool as well as they do in their other Ford vehicles.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'm glad your seats work to your satisfaction. :cheers:

Sitting with my back completely against the seat in any other Ford vehicle equipped with cooled seats will still result in my back being fully cooled. The Mustang is the only one that typically fails to achieve this.

One example: I know a customer who is on his 3rd GT convertible and he too thinks the cooled seats perform poorly in all 3 that he's owned. He daily drives an Explorer Sport, so when he bought his first GT back in 2015, he came and asked me to get his Mustang's cooled seats checked. He noticed the same thing in his 2016, and again in the 2018 he just got. He's not a big guy either. He's like 5'7"... maybe 140-ish pounds... I dunno.

Anyways... I'm glad yours work to your sanctification. But again, we get customers regularly saying the Mustang seats don't cool as well as they do in their other Ford vehicles.
I don't have any other Ford vehicle to compare against so that could be why I think they work great.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Mine seem to work well also, (carbon sport interior) and I actually have baby crib sheets covering >both< front seats! yes i'm aware of blocking airbags and all that, but I want these seats looking good years from now, and don't really know how to clean the alcantara anyway, hence the covers.....

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
lots of details:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23384&highlight=cooled+seats

Basically this: Ford morons re-used the seat climate control units from Fusion (one for the seat bottom cushion and one for the seatback). But 4-door fusion has underseat AC ducts that keep the area under the seat cool. Mustang does not. also mustang front seat can butt up against rear further trapping heat.

The cooling units work by transferring heat from a cool side to the hot side of a thermoelectric device (TED). But the hot side can't actually be really hot. To have the cool side at 50F, the hot side has to be below 90F. So something has to then take the heat away from the hot side. In the fusion, that is achieved by the underseat ac air.

all the heat rejected by the seat bottom cooling unit in the mustang thus heats up the seat back cooling unit preventing the latter from rejecting any heat.thus the seat back actually heats up.

The deception is if you get into a cold car and turn on the cooled seats, they will work for a little bit until the seat back cooling unit heats up. I got my car in January. But if you get into a warm car, the seat back cooling units will never cool and will actually heat.

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
My 2013 Taurus Limited had cooled seats, they were awesome. My Mustang's cooled seats aren't the same, I believe it's just a fan blowing air through the seat which works fine but definitely not AC where the Taurus would frost the nether regions and my back pretty damn well.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
lots of details:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23384&highlight=cooled+seats

Basically this: Ford morons re-used the seat climate control units from Fusion (one for the seat bottom cushion and one for the seatback). But 4-door fusion has underseat AC ducts that keep the area under the seat cool. Mustang does not. also mustang front seat can butt up against rear further trapping heat.

The cooling units work by transferring heat from a cool side to the hot side of a thermoelectric device (TED). But the hot side can't actually be really hot. To have the cool side at 50F, the hot side has to be below 90F. So something has to then take the heat away from the hot side. In the fusion, that is achieved by the underseat ac air.

all the heat rejected by the seat bottom cooling unit in the mustang thus heats up the seat back cooling unit preventing the latter from rejecting any heat.thus the seat back actually heats up.

The deception is if you get into a cold car and turn on the cooled seats, they will work for a little bit until the seat back cooling unit heats up. I got my car in January. But if you get into a warm car, the seat back cooling units will never cool and will actually heat.
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the link btw. As much as I want to take on this project, I dont think its possible since I live in an apartment complex and cant really work on cars :(

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
They didn't design it right. The back module is burred in the seat so when you turn the cool air on, the hot air has nowhere to go (you cant make cold without producing heat).
The had somewhat a fix by adding an air channel to the module so it would suck cooler air into the module but the hot air is still trapped inside the seat for it to work efficiently.
Sponsored