Sponsored

I'm an idiot. I snapped the STB stud!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Ok, I'm having the worst month ever. First the veterinarian killed my dog.
Then I decide I'm going to install the STB on my car for some mechanical therapy. Thanks to the systemic combination of a defective harbor freight torque wrench and my own lack of experience and to a lesser or greater degree common sense, I snapped the STB stud the one that holds the brown wire harness cap.
Now what. Damn. Guess this warrants a trip to the dealer.
What a month. :doh:
Sponsored

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Hang in there bud! Chin up. Live is beautiful, remember that. Sometimes it's hard to see through the fog, but I promise you, it will clear.

CeleronXXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
You can buy a replacement stud from the dealer. Just hammer the snapped one out, and hammer the new one up from the wheel well. You just need to remove the wheel and strut assembly, easy fix. Sorry about your dog

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
And get a better torque wrench !

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow with separation anxiety. Lol
I'm looking forward to better days.

Sponsored

Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
Sorry for the necro but...

I broke the same one today. The exact same one in the exact same place... (the one holding the brown harness clip)

The Strut tower brace has been on the car for several weeks with no worries (and yes I torqued them to the correct spec).

Today I thought "hey let's check if none of them came loose". Just like you'd do on your wheels.

The other 3 were fine, but that exact one was loose... 2 turns (for clarification obviously not full turns but tiny swings) of the torque wrench later... *SNAP*

/angry

Did yours end up being an easy replacement?

Last edited:

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Sorry to hear about your dog :(

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Like others said, sorry about your dog man, that sucks.

Car can be fixed...

Here's one of my sayings...
"Breathe, everything else is optional"

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the kind words. My car is crap compared to my dog...

Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
oh well, I broke mine today ! the same damn stud where you clip on the brown harness. I followed torque specs and I dont get it ! all the others were fine ! The worst part is that I took my time knowing of this issue and set my torque wrench to a conservative 25 ft pds! SOOO PISSED. For thoses who replaced the stud by getting one from the factory how did it workout?

Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh well, I broke mine today ! the same damn stud where you clip on the brown harness. I followed torque specs and I dont get it ! all the others were fine ! The worst part is that I took my time knowing of this issue and set my torque wrench to a conservative 25 ft pds! SOOO PISSED. For thoses who replaced the stud by getting one from the factory how did it workout?
This is starting to be very suspicious... It seems to always the same one of the 4 studs that breaks.

As to having it replaced? Dealers are pretty clueless over here (Europe), so I didn't have it replaced yet.

I briefly tried to hammer it out with a 6lb hammer so I could replace it myself (using a stronger bolt), but it seems to be pretty firmly stuck in there. (Is it just pressed into place or is it spotwelded? Dealer couldn't answer that question for me btw...). When I have to go in for service in a few months I will ask them to fix it (hopefully they won't fuck it up).

I feel your pain. Try not to lose to much sleep because of it (I know I did, the first few weeks), as you can drive it without the bolt safely. (Non Performance Pack Mustangs are not using the bolts anyway)

IPOGT had it replaced, but there doesn't seem to be a part number for the bolts (I asked him when mine snapped). His dealer replaced it without any worries.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
This is starting to be very suspicious... It seems to always the same one of the 4 studs that breaks.

As to having it replaced? Dealers are pretty clueless over here (Europe), so I didn't have it replaced yet.

I briefly tried to hammer it out with a 6lb hammer so I could replace it myself (using a stronger bolt), but it seems to be pretty firmly stuck in there. (Is it just pressed into place or is it spotwelded? Dealer couldn't answer that question for me btw...). When I have to go in for service in a few months I will ask them to fix it (hopefully they won't fuck it up).

I feel your pain. Try not to lose to much sleep because of it (I know I did, the first few weeks), as you can drive it without the bolt safely. (Non Performance Pack Mustangs are not using the bolts anyway)

IPOGT had it replaced, but there doesn't seem to be a part number for the bolts (I asked him when mine snapped). His dealer replaced it without any worries.
Thank you for the reply, I am glad to hear that the car is still drivable without issues. So its just the stud that I have to replace? I tought I had to replace the shock mount and that the stud I broke was part of the shock mount. From what I understand with what you wrote it has nothing to do with that, so it should be an easy fix since the broken stud that holds the strut bar where the brown harness goes is not part of the shock mount assembly? Glad that IPOGT had it replaced without issues

Edit: i think its welded I have read somewhere on here that people have drilled it out to put in a new bolt, can anyone confirm this?

Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the reply, I am glad to hear that the car is still drivable without issues. So its just the stud that I have to replace? I tought I had to replace the shock mount and that the stud I broke was part of the shock mount. From what I understand with what you wrote it has nothing to do with that, so it should be an easy fix since the broken stud that holds the strut bar where the brown harness goes is not part of the shock mount assembly? Glad that IPOGT had it replaced without issues

Edit: i think its welded I have read somewhere on here that people have drilled it out to put in a new bolt, can anyone confirm this?
Yup, just the bolt. It is not connected to the shocks or the shock mount (on previous models it was?)

Here's a shitty pic from my wheel well where you can see it's not connected (although it sits close to it). (it might be from the opposite wheel I don't remember, it's the most "viewable" pic I had left laying around of one of the strut bolts)

(click to enlarge)

strutbolt-bottom-thumb.png
Sponsored