Sponsored

2020 GT500 Mustang Drive-By Video and More Pics

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
I don't think so, honestly.

It's possible that they retrofited the Predator to a GT350 body just to validate some "engine" stuff some time ago and maybe this is one of the cars used for that (hence, the reason it uses a manual transmission and not the DCT).
The predator engine IS THE ENGINE in the current GT350 - for all practical purposes

Except the 'Predator' has got a CPC and a blower on it (and some modded internals). At least in one of the pics above.

My opinion.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
The predator engine IS THE ENGINE in the current GT350 - for all practical purposes

Except the 'Predator' has got a CPC and a blower on it (and some modded internals). At least in one of the pics above.

My opinion.
so.... It's not the engine in the current GT350, however they use the same block and dimensions.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
We know it's a blown 5.2

And it isn't gonna have a FPC in it.

I believe these details have been reported / leaked for awhile now.

One of the cars gets a blower, the other car doesn't.

What the other car is named, who knows.

I think it's been Ford's plan to build on the GT350 platform. Which is what we're seeing now.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
We know it's a blown 5.2

And it isn't gonna have a FPC in it.

I believe these details have been reported / leaked for awhile now.

One of the cars gets a blower, the other car doesn't.

What the other car is named, who knows.

I think it's been Ford's plan to build on the GT350 platform. Which is what we're seeing now.
What we do know:
Predator engine is going to be a 5.2L CPC Supercharged V8.

What is only in our imaginations at the moment:
A variant of the 5.2 CPC NA. If Ford happens to do something like this I will be really, really surprised (And I'll eat my shoe) but I don't think so.

The most likely scenario?
GT350 with a retrofited Predator Engine for validation purposes.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
What we do know:

A variant of the 5.2 CPC NA. If Ford happens to do something like this I will be really, really surprised (And I'll eat my shoe) but I don't think so.

Then why would Ford Camo an engine mule..?

The most practical conclusion is that Ford has already extensively tested a 5.2 NA CPC. Which would be needed to be done, before engineering the supercharging aspect of it.

So since the work/engine was already done, Ford might as well market it (too). Specially, if the NA version of the 5.2 CPC uses the new Gen3 Coyote's dual fuel-injection scheme.

I don't see anything wrong with a more torque'ier version of the 5.2..! :ford:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No NA version of the 5.2 outside of the GT4 car. There's no place for it. Also there's no reason to do any development of an NA 5.2 for road applications before supercharging. The SC'd engine will have different internals and revised head for a lower CR suited for production forced-induction.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What we do know:

Yes, but development, not validation. Any mules like that are for continued calibration development. Any real validation will be done with VP cars, not an M1.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
No NA version of the 5.2 outside of the GT4 car. There's no place for it. Also there's no reason to do any development of an NA 5.2 for road applications before supercharging. The SC'd engine will have different internals and revised head for a lower CR suited for production forced-induction.
Why isn't there a place for it..?

Ford already races it & it is the base for the GT500, so putting a blower on it, would have a good halo path.

Heck, a NA version of the GT500's engine, should be cheaper to make than the GT350's engine. And I do believe many would choose to have the CPC 5.2, over the FPC.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
So since the work/engine was already done, Ford might as well market it (too). Specially, if the NA version of the 5.2 CPC uses the new Gen3 Coyote's dual fuel-injection scheme.

Then why would Ford Camo an engine mule..?
The real question is, why not?
Pretty much every "mule" uses camouflage.

The most practical conclusion is that Ford has already extensively tested a 5.2 NA CPC. Which would be needed to be done, before engineering the supercharging aspect of it.
Nope, the "most practical conclusion" is that they retrofited the Predator on a GT350 to validate the engine before the DCT arrives. They don't necessarily need to test a NA variant of a FI engine in order to work on the second one.

If the Mustang Bullitt was still "unconfirmed" this might be plausible but since it's already confirmed, there are no plans/leaks/information about another variant additional to the GT500 for 2020 or 2021MY.

Unless they stop offering the 5.0 and offer the 5.2 instead for the S550, this MIGHT be a "test mule", but it doesn't make sense to use the GT350 as a test mule.

So, it comes to two possible scenarios:
A) It's a GT350 mule with the GT500 engine and front End.
B) We need to clean our ears because It's a prototype of the GT350 that will co-exist with the Mustang

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
You guys are making my head hurt!
Sponsored