Sponsored

Camaro giant leaps, Mustang just enough (SS vs. GT)

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
There are no guarantees in life and there are no equal drivers. The cars are closer in performance than some want to believe.
Yes there are guarantees and certainties in life. But that isn't the point. I said the SS is for sure faster than the GT from 15-17 provided equal drivers and provided both cars are in optimal running condition. That is a guarantee. It is a fact. I'm not going to debate it because I already know that you aren't going to admit it.
Sponsored

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Yes there are guarantees and certainties in life. But that isn't the point. I said the SS is for sure faster than the GT from 15-17 provided equal drivers and provided both cars are in optimal running condition. That is a guarantee. It is a fact. I'm not going to debate it because I already know that you aren't going to admit it.
Stock For Stock? Yes the camaro is a better performer especially in the twisites....But once the mods start, the Mustang is the better buy as you can gain more performance per dollar, There is a great thread over on Cam6 that is quite evident of this. Check it out

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I said the SS is for sure faster than the GT from 15-17 provided equal drivers and provided both cars are in optimal running condition. That is a guarantee. It is a fact.
So you mean "on paper"?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Stock For Stock? Yes the camaro is a better performer especially in the twisites....But once the mods start, the Mustang is the better buy as you can gain more performance per dollar, There is a great thread over on Cam6 that is quite evident of this. Check it out
Right. Once you start adding mods I think the GT has the upper hand.
So you mean "on paper"?
I mean in reality.

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm a Chevy guy mostly but I drive a 5.0.
When you say the Camaro has been ahead...
It WAS ahead in the 90's. The LT1 and LS1 kicked the 4.6 Mustang's ass.

However......
2011 to 2015, the 5.0 was actually faster, if not the same, in a straight line. They had similar horsepower, but the 5.0 car was much lighter. The Camaro 1Le was a better track car. But that's the way it's always been - Chevy wins magazine articles for having a more aggressive fun car whereas you can actually live with a Mustang and so people who are actually paying money for a car and not just kids reading online bench racing statistics, buy them.

The '16 Camaro is faster than the '16 Camaro. But the shortfalls make it hard to own a Camaro for me. I wasn't willing to put up with the insane visibility and the several thousand dollar price difference.

Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
If I won a Camaro, I would trade it in on a Vette, or a Mustang.

I can't tell you how embarrassed I am for people who drive that sh!t ugly transformer inspired car. It is hideous.
Says the guy who drives a 135... I like them and all, but they aren't widely considered good looking.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I mean in reality.
I know what you said, but I think you really mean paper. No two drivers are equal so your guarantee pretty much goes out the door right there. Furthermore, environment contstraint aside no two test sessions are the same. Statistics are a real b!tch which is why average and 90th percentiles come into play for lap times when more than one is counted.

Your best bet is to buy both cars off the showroom floor, grab a helmet, shake hands, and race one another, at the same time, track, for 30 minutes or x number of laps, and see who the winner is. Something like that. My point is this - nothing in life is guaranteed other than death and taxes.

Edit: Personally I don't have an opinion of which is faster nor do I really care. The race track and events are the deciding factor. Beyond that we are all in the hobby so I'm guessing we all have something in common outside our little disagreements. Almost sounds like my marriage.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I know what you said, but I think you really mean paper. No two drivers are equal so your guarantee pretty much goes out the door right there. Furthermore, environment contstraint aside no two test sessions are the same. Statistics are a real b!tch which is why average and 90th percentiles come into play for lap times when more than one is counted.

Your best bet is to buy both cars off the showroom floor, grab a helmet, shake hands, and race one another, at the same time, track, for 30 minutes or x number of laps, and see who the winner is. Something like that. My point is this - nothing in life is guaranteed other than death and taxes.

Edit: Personally I don't have an opinion of which is faster nor do I really care. The race track and events are the deciding factor. Beyond that we are all in the hobby so I'm guessing we all have something in common outside our little disagreements. Almost sounds like my marriage.
Showroom stock tire pressure and brake fluid?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Chevrolets, like Dodge count on superchargers. IF that's what they need to beat a NA little ole 5.0, so beit.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Says the guy who drives a 135... I like them and all, but they aren't widely considered good looking.
I agree, but at least the bmw has ultimate visibility. And at the time no other rear wheel car offered that level of sophisticated handling, except the stingray. And I had just got rid of a vette.

That said, today there is no reason to buy BMW, because Americans manufacturers have competent suspensions now. But no matter how good the Camaro is, it has horrendous visibility and uncanny transformer styling. I respect myself too much to buy a current Camaro.

Specially when the Mustang is a more sophisticated presence.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I agree, but at least the bmw has ultimate visibility. And at the time no other rear wheel car offered that level of sophisticated handling, except the stingray. And I had just got rid of a vette.

That said, today there is no reason to buy BMW, because Americans manufacturers have competent suspensions now. But no matter how good the Camaro is, it has horrendous visibility and uncanny transformer styling. I respect myself too much to buy a current Camaro.

Specially when the Mustang is a more sophisticated presence.
I had an E92 M3 and loved that car. Great all around car and wonderful motor. I do agree that there isn't much of a reason to go for BMWs in the performance market these days unless you need something to double for work reasons to get clients in or something.

Not sure that I can buy that a Mustang is more sophisticated than a Camaro. People on this forum might think so, but they are both the same shit to most people, white trash sports coupes. I'm ok with that.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I cross shopped Mustang GT Premium, Camaro 2SS, Mercedes GLA45 AMG and Jaguar F-Type V6 (used).

Most fun drivers were the Camaro, Mustang, Jag and Mercedes in that order.

The Mustang had better viibility and usable back seats so that was my choice. The Jag was too slow and the turbo lag and no stick shift ruled the Mercedes out.

And I didn't give a sh!t about impressing anyone so no extra points for the Jag or Merc.

IMO American muscle is as good or better than Euro or Asian makes
Sponsored