Sponsored

Sound tube - what exactly am I supposed to hear?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Here, these cars all exhibit their different sounding air induction:

Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
One of the stupidest things I've ever seen on a performance car ever, anywhere. It sounds good or it Don't! Biggest PIA is taking the nut off of the 2.5" long firewall stud. This whole thing just screams idiot. Trash it.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

sp00gey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'88 GT, '99 GT Vert, '13 GT Vert, '18 GT Vert
The most noticeable change when I removed the tube in my '13 was with the radio volume speed compensation. The first time I ran up to highway speed, the radio was blasting. Had to turn down the compensation setting.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
BMW, VW and Porsche also have done similar things. I have read Porsche uses an active valve similar to bjstang's.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Some people say it pumps sound into the cabin. I disagree, i think it uses the intake vacuum to pull air from the cabin thru the round drum device that gives that gargle sound of old V8s. I prefer less noise.
Yeah. Makes me wonder why they put something that would draw unmetered air in to the intake tubing after the MAF.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Funny thing is I thought of making some kind of valve like you have just for experimental sake.

If it were active and worked with the exhaust modes I might actually keep it. But I love being able to cruise quietly.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I pulled out the section that attaches to the airbox and at the end under the strut tower brace and capped off both ends. Which removed that ugly box section. Which leaves the hard to get to piece still there, but you can barely see it. That way in the future if some one else wants to reinstall it to get the fake sound, it would be an easy reinstall. I like the sound of my car better without that contraption. Stock mufflers with Steeda H pipe. My vote is to get rid of it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The ocean waves... like those people on beaches holding a conch shell to their heads...

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yeah. Makes me wonder why they put something that would draw unmetered air in to the intake tubing after the MAF.
I think the impact would be negligible. The piece up to the diaphragm is rather small.

On the GTIs they used to say it improved throttle response by removing them. I'm not sure if it was of any significance.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Take the top of the air filter cover off, turn it over and re-install.
You will hear the glorious intake roar!:headbang:
(no, don't try that)
Careful brother, your age is showing. :lol:

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. The biggest benefit I gained from removing my sound tube was MUCH MUCH less exhaust smell in the cabin.

With the tube, I could smell every car in front of me when they stepped on the throttle. It sucked that smell right into the intake and into the cabin. I could even smell my exhaust after I stepped on it then slowed back down.

Now that I've removed the tube, I never get any outside smells in the cabin. I don't really notice a difference in sound with or without it.
Sponsored