First disaster - snapped hood bolt

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I got if fixed today. I found a welder that would do the job. It took him about 5 minutes and most of that time was spent getting the old bolt off the broken stud. I think he did the same fix.

I'm going to do the struts today and pull the reset of the sound tube out tonight once it cools down.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I got if fixed today. I found a welder that would do the job. It took him about 5 minutes and most of that time was spent getting the old bolt off the broken stud. I think he did the same fix.

I'm going to do the struts today and pull the reset of the sound tube out tonight once it cools down.
Glad you got it fixed.

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Hand tight and quarter turn on these types of things

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm sure there will be many more snapped hood bolts on 2018+. Hopefully this thread will help prevent or provide with the easy fix.

Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I was installing hood struts today and I snapped the driver's side top bolt on the hood. :(

I rechecked my torque setting several times at 17 lb. I'm not sure what went wrong. How bad is it to get this fixed? I wasn't looking at having to get a carbon fiber hood.

I also can't find the bracket anywhere. I'm going to have to check behind the wheel well.

** Edit **

The simple fix is to tig weld a stud to the old bolt. It only takes a welder a few minutes and the hood does not need to be removed.
20180606_141308a.jpg
That bolt was corroded that's why it snapped nothing you did wrong!!!!!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ummm, torquing to 17 on re-assembly when the newer bolts call for only 10-12 hardly qualifies as "not wrong". But we've been through all of that already.

On corrosion - corroded bolts/nuts are more apt to break during disassembly, and this one apparently survived the removal process. What the corrosion tells me is that it was less able to withstand the improper 17 than if it was brand new.

Norm

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For low specifications and small fasteners I usually rely on my experience and "feel". It's the higher settings and larger bolts I'll use a torque wrench on.

Yashbrowns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yash
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I'm having the same issue as OP but with the trunk studs. I don't know if OP's solution would work on the trunk as there's no stud left.
IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_3869.jpg

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP here. Find a good independent welder near you and see what they say. The guy I used had it done really fast and it has been great since.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I’m so annoyed because I did the same thing. American Muscle said to use 20lbs as per ford on ford Performance hood struts and mine cracked right off. S**t I’m so annoyed because I did it perfectly by hand and got anal.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am going to go +1 on blue lock tight and 1/4 turn past hand tight.

I have always been a fan of inch pound torque wrenches for anything under 20 ftlbs.

I have had pretty good success getting bolts out with a left hand drill bit. I have a small right hand that I drill a hole with and then use the left hand to snag and turn the broken off bolt out with. Just like a small easy out but not so easily broken. If that doesn’t work I drive a small piece of Allen key in it with an air chisel and red lock tight. Wait 24 hours and remove.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have had pretty good success getting bolts out with a left hand drill bit. I have a small right hand that I drill a hole with and then use the left hand to snag and turn the broken off bolt out with. Just like a small easy out but not so easily broken. If that doesn’t work I drive a small piece of Allen key in it with an air chisel and red lock tight. Wait 24 hours and remove.
The studs are welded to the hood, so trying to remove the snapped off stud isn't going to work.
Sponsored