Sponsored

Sound tube - what exactly am I supposed to hear?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Closing it off at the intake port also improves tip-in throttle response. It was an unexpected benefit that makes sense once you think about it.
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Perhaps the membrane was bad or the firewall connection wasn't good? Although people have said they don't smell anything when leaving the hole open.

I just have mine capped for now with the tube just hanging under the cover.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Just disconnected my sound tube and wrapped both ends with duct tape. Imma try it out first to see if I even notice a difference. I'm hoping it reduces some in cab engine rattle noise.

BTW that thing is wrapped under there pretty good with the strut tower brace bar and USS Enterprise engine cover.
That's why I just capped it for now, I have the Steeda brace and that is even more work to pull.

I busted up my hand some working under the engine cover. I like the 2015-2017 cover look better. The 2018 is massive. Then I crushed the clamp permanently closed with my cable hose clamp too. I need to get a worm clamp now.

Bjstang is right on with his description. Having the valve he can do a good comparison.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Has anyone come across a different solution at 'Home Depot Racing' to cap the intake port other than the table leg?

I think it looks too out of place and would like something more subtle. I am also not sure how well it will hold up to the engine bay temps over time.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone come across a different solution at 'Home Depot Racing' to cap the intake port other than the table leg?

I think it looks too out of place and would like something more subtle. I am also not sure how well it will hold up to the engine bay temps over time.
Over 2.5 years and mine haven't degraded. I threw a zip-tie on just to make sure it's sealed. Boomba also offers a cap for it.

The only 'performance' thing about this is improved tip-in throttle response.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
A friend described the sound of a 4bbl Quadrajet carburetor on a 1968 GTO at WOT as being similar to flushing a toilet.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Don't know what's going on with the exhaust smell. We don't experience it with our cars, with or without the sound tube. The OEM boxes on our cars don't have a smell of exhaust, gas, oil, etc..

The Hydrocarbon Filter in one of the cars still has a nice, clean, fragrance. It was removed on my car but it still smells nice. :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2087658#post2087658
I believe what was happening on mine is that, because the intake is sucking in fresh air, including that of all of the cars in front, some of the smells were making it through the sound tube into the cabin. Logically, it seems to makes sense to me.

All I know is it was very annoying until I removed the sound tube.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Alright just got to work and I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I shifted at 6k+ a few times and I know its placebo effect but it actually feels faster since it's quieter. All I hear is exhaust now. I guess I gotta go to walmart and get some chair leg caps when I get my MotorCraft 5w30.
How much quieter did it make the quiet mode? That is if you have active exhaust.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
How much quieter did it make the quiet mode? That is if you have active exhaust.
It almost makes the exhaust seem louder as it stands out more. But I find it sounds more refined in quiet mode.

Like someone else mentioned it also make it feel like the car is faster as it seems like it isn't working as hard.

Both of these are psychological though. Some people may not even notice a difference.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10

I think any 1" cap should work. I'd just make sure it's something that couldn't get sucked in.

In turbo cars that have these you can blow a hole through the hood if not installed correctly.

Sponsored

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
What are you guys using to plug the firewall hole? I see the rubber door leg plugs for the intake side, but what about the firewall?

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Yeah. Makes me wonder why they put something that would draw unmetered air in to the intake tubing after the MAF.
Mine wasn’t unmetered, if I remember it had a white foam in the tube at the firewall. It wasn’t just an open tube. Then there’s the drum. So, I highly doubt it could suck any more dust particles thru to the intake than the air filter. I can be totally wrong on how it works.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Piping In a Little Engine Music By TIM MORAN FEB. 26, 2009​

IT looks like nothing more than a black plastic tube with a bulge at one end, but without it the driver of a 2010 Ford Mustang GT might feel he has a lot less than xxx horsepower at his command.
Leaving that questionable HP number out of it, I really don't want to feel like I'm being conned. Conned, as in being led to believe that the engine in my car is making MORE power than it really is. And at least potentially disappointed when the actual amount of acceleration turns out to be less than what the amount of engine roar inside the car is trying to promise.

the piping turns out to be an essential element of customer satisfaction, according to David Pericak, chief engineer for the Mustang. “I did drive Mustangs without the sound tube in them,” he said. “It was like watching a movie with all the drama, but totally disorienting without the sound.”
I do understand that all these various methods of intentionally introducing induction sounds into the cabin are being done specifically because cars today are so much more sound- and NVH-isolated than they ever used to be. But Dave P is basically speaking to the easily-impressed non-car people and to the "engine-centric" enthusiasts among us.

I do know that when I'm driving hard - really hard - that the last thing I want to find happening is getting caught up in a case of "red mist", where external influences try to coax you into ignoring the concept of driving within the lower of your limit or the car's. Where the excitement of the moment caused by the roar has you getting into it a little deeper and staying in it a little longer than you should. BmacIL probably knows what I'm getting at here, but putting all four wheels off the pavement because you simply HAD to hear another half second of roar ought to be clear to anybody. How many Mustang memes have involved drivers not getting out of the throttle when they should have?

Norm

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
What are you guys using to plug the firewall hole? I see the rubber door leg plugs for the intake side, but what about the firewall?
The dealer gave me a firewall plug for free.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Leaving that questionable HP number out of it, I really don't want to feel like I'm being conned. Conned, as in being led to believe that the engine in my car is making MORE power than it really is. And at least potentially disappointed when the actual amount of acceleration turns out to be less than what the amount of engine roar inside the car is trying to promise.

I do understand that all these various methods of intentionally introducing induction sounds into the cabin are being done specifically because cars today are so much more sound- and NVH-isolated than they ever used to be. But Dave P is basically speaking to the easily-impressed non-car people and to the "engine-centric" enthusiasts among us.

I do know that when I'm driving hard - really hard - that the last thing I want to find happening is getting caught up in a case of "red mist", where external influences try to coax you into ignoring the concept of driving within the lower of your limit or the car's. Where the excitement of the moment caused by the roar has you getting into it a little deeper and staying in it a little longer than you should. BmacIL probably knows what I'm getting at here, but putting all four wheels off the pavement because you simply HAD to hear another half second of roar ought to be clear to anybody. How many Mustang memes have involved drivers not getting out of the throttle when they should have?

Norm
Totally do lol....

I like one or the other. Exhaust or induction. My last car had sweet, sweet induction sound but did not have any exhaust volume of any sort present in the car. This one I prefer to listen to the racy tone of the Corsa + Coyote combo and with the sound tube it seemed like there was weird background music. It also makes for a louder interior at cruise. My car is actually quieter than stock at highway speeds.
Sponsored