OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
I feel for you as a fellow enthusiast and racer, but were you really surprised when you added 33% more hp and significantly more rpm to the stock unit and it broke?

I am not assuming anything with any car, especially a track car and especially when modding.
I get what you are saying, but at least in this case, I didn't expect to break a gear with +10~15% wtq up from stock with 45min on track. It sounds like the torque didn't do it though, so it makes more sense now.
Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think you are unlucky or I am lucky.

I track a twin turbo at COTA regularly, 20+ minute sessions in the Texas heat and the same Exedy twin disc clutch as you, 7,500 rpm shifts and probably 600+whp going out through sticky 305 tires. A weekend at the track is easily 5 plus hours of torture.

Transmission still hanging in there. Maybe its the drag like starts the autocross has you doing?

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
Well, got the transmission out, gravity was kind enough to help on the way down. I don't suspect it will be as generous on the way back in... #ineedalift

IMG_20180606_192813_zpsbwvj5npb.jpg

IMG_20180607_190255_zpsywnexmio.jpg

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Sound like you are revving the engine to the moon. What kind of RPM are you revving to? Harmonic vibration can damage things very quickly.
If it's the clutch how come other gears are fine but 4th gear?

OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
Sound like you are revving the engine to the moon. What kind of RPM are you revving to? Harmonic vibration can damage things very quickly.
If it's the clutch how come other gears are fine but 4th gear?
The car revs pretty high, but I was only reving to 7500 on track. I assume 4th went because most of the upshifts were 3rd to 4th, with few to 5th and none to 3rd or lower. I was occasionally getting chirps on the 3->4 shift, so in retrospect now that I know more about the clutch, maybe not that surprising.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What kind of clutch is the GT350 clutch ? I thought that was an organic material, and a dual mass flywheel.

How do you know if the transmission is getting too hot ?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The GForce gearset for the MT82.

When I sent mine to him I asked if he wanted the good one I had or the one with broken 4th, he said it doesn't matter as the gears are all getting replaced anyways. I could see it being a little more if you busted a fork or totally trashed the case/etc.
Are you saying that the G force gear set for the MT 82 is now available ? Calimers Facebook page hasn't been updated in 9 month's. You would think that advertising of this product would have been more wide spread.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Are you saying that the G force gear set for the MT 82 is now available ? Calimers Facebook page hasn't been updated in 9 month's. You would think that advertising of this product would have been more wide spread.
I was thinking the same thing. It seemed the weakest point in the MT-82 trans is the gear set. I'd think upgrading MT-82s with the G force gear set would bring a gold mine worth of business.

The only thing I can think of is that the gear set is relatively new and maybe he is waiting on more real world durability results before mass marketing as the end all to be all solution for bullet proofing these mt-82s.

I have about $2,500 invested between the MGW, clutch, and driveshaft. Would love to keep the MT-82 if it can be built to last and avoid the hassle and expense of going to a Tremec.

RB281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I just spoke with Ben Calimer, and one of the first questions was which clutch I was using. When I told him it was an Exedy Twin-Disc he wasn't surprised that 4th went out. The clutch does grab hard, and he suspects that's what did it, which makes sense given how briefly the gear lasted.

He recommended changing over to a McLeod RST Twin Disc with the organic discs - he doesn't expect issues with that clutch and an MT-82.

So, that might be the solution - rebuild and a clutch change. I will keep everyone posted!
I just lost 4th gear last night merging onto the highway. Same Exedy Clutch,but I’m boosted. I’ve only had it installed for 600 miles. Honestly I’m not used to a twin disc clutch, but I’m not a fan of this one so far. Now I’ve got to figure out what to do next

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I just lost 4th gear last night merging onto the highway. Same Exedy Clutch,but I’m boosted. I’ve only had it installed for 600 miles. Honestly I’m not used to a twin disc clutch, but I’m not a fan of this one so far. Now I’ve got to figure out what to do next
So yeah basically that Exedy is the kiss of death for the MT82. Good to know.

*IB 10 other Exedy owners chime in saying it's fine and y'all just can't drive*

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rexpelagi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Anything
For the Exedy fans, my clutch and flywheel are for sale lol
Mine will also be for sale!

I wonder if it can be re-splined for the TR6060? At least then someone could use it.

I did ask Exedy about other disk material - Exedy doesn't offer any other disk material, just what it comes with.

I'll be moving to a McLeod RST.

Update: Exedy doesn't re-spline, but they do sell other disks (same material) with different splines which would work with a TR6060.

Last edited:

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So yeah basically that Exedy is the kiss of death for the MT82. Good to know.

*IB 10 other Exedy owners chime in saying it's fine and y'all just can't drive*

When I first got it I thought to myself "this thing grabs hard..i think it'll break my transmission" Day one at the track "boom" lol. In fairness though, my trans did not have an easy life to begin with, lots and lots of passes haha.