Sponsored

Base radio: can't install sync update

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hello,

I downloaded the 5.11 sync update (from owner.ford.com). As per the instructions, I put it on a 32 Gigabyte USB 2.0 flash drive (PNY FD32GRTCG if anyone is keeping track). I also reformatted the flash drive to the exFAT file system (as per the directions on the owner.ford.com page-it says you need an exFAT formatted stick. It came from the factory with a FAT32 format). I extracted the contents of the zip file into the root of the flash drive. (two flat files plus a folder that looks like it has the meat of the update in it). No other files on the stick.

I plugged it into the USB1 port (the one that's opposite the lighter plug on the center console, down near the start button), and started the car. Nothing. I tried the USB2 port (the one inside the console between the seats) and started the car. Again, nothing.

I also tried to go into the menu and read the flash drive. Sync says it can't read the drive. It reads just fine when I plug it back into the Windows 10 PC that I created it on...

Just for kicks and grins, I tried it on an 8 GB flash drive that I had, and I started by reformatting that drive to exFAT. Same results.

I'm really tempted at this point to just try it with a FAT32 format...the YouTube videos that I've seen on other versions of Sync (including Sync 2 on an S550 Mustang) say to use FAT32.

Anyone gotten the 5.11 upgrade on the base radio to work? I'm coming from version 5.9, and if there's a version in between that I'm supposed to upgrade to, Ford isn't giving me access to it :paddle:
Sponsored

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Got it to work. Ignore Ford's directions about using exFAT as the filesystem on the USB drive. Make sure the drive is formatted in FAT32 format, and you're golden :headbang:

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
what are the improvements? (change log)

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
what are the improvements? (change log)
Dunno. Ford didn't give us that...and it doesn't fix the missing track info on my Sony Xperia XZ Premium :brokenheart:
Sponsored