Ordering a 18 GT tonight!

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
They weren't saying the suspension wasn't set up for the track. They were likely focusing on the lack of cooling. The mag ride and much of the suspension was borrowed from the GT350.
Highly unlikely that it is tuned the same, though. Same hardware, yes. Same profile, no. That can make a huge difference in how it acts, since we're not dealing with pure mechanical dampers anymore.
Sponsored

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
That's not to say that it won't be capable. It is just not the marketing position Ford's taking with it. a PP2 car isn't going to have the track survivability as a GT350 track pack car. They don't want the faster (straight line only don't worry GT350 people!) 2018GT outdoing their halo car in its own segment, so by holding it back with necessary cooling in OEM form is a way to accomplish that.
So how does that carry over to warranty issues? I know Ford has stated that some cars are covered for HPDE use, but stating that the GT PP2 isn't suitable for HPDEs would seem to give Ford an out if they wanted to deny coverage along the lines of, "You should have bought a GT350 if you wanted a track car."

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Highly unlikely that it is tuned the same, though. Same hardware, yes. Same profile, no. That can make a huge difference in how it acts, since we're not dealing with pure mechanical dampers anymore.
Well, no, it won't be tuned the same. You are right about that. They tune it specifically to the wheel/tire/suspension combo of the given car. That said, a GTPP vs. GTPP +magneride on the track is going to give the advantage to the mag system. The GT350 still has some extra suspension goodies that don't come with the non-Shelby cars. I doubt they made the PP+magneride setup purposely softer just because the car wasn't specifically built for track days. There is still a race mode setting, and it significantly stiffens the dampers. I can feel a big difference over the 2017 PP car I test drove.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So how does that carry over to warranty issues? I know Ford has stated that some cars are covered for HPDE use, but stating that the GT PP2 isn't suitable for HPDEs would seem to give Ford an out if they wanted to deny coverage along the lines of, "You should have bought a GT350 if you wanted a track car."
Anything mentioned with warranty is speculation at this point. All the new GTs have temp sensors and ECU logic meant to dial things back if the heat level is too high. Basically, the car shouldn't allow you to damage the drivetrain on long track sessions.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Quick. Change the order color to anything but black. Trust me on this.
Yes. Do not get black. My 2012 GT was black, and I regretted getting the color.

It shows everything, and only looks good for 1/2 an hour after washing it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I highly recommend the magneride. I think it's terrific.

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
Yes. Do not get black. My 2012 GT was black, and I regretted getting the color.

It shows everything, and only looks good for 1/2 an hour after washing it.
Agreed; back in the early '90s I had a black 1988 M6 and I lived at the end of a 2500' gravel farm road. I think the car was truly clean for a total of 30 minutes over the three years I owned it.
Also, I remember a professional detailer telling me, "Black is the one color that reveals every sin you've ever committed." My DD is white and looks clean for a remarkably long time...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Agreed; back in the early '90s I had a black 1988 M6 and I lived at the end of a 2500' gravel farm road. I think the car was truly clean for a total of 30 minutes over the three years I owned it.
Also, I remember a professional detailer telling me, "Black is the one color that reveals every sin you've ever committed." My DD is white and looks clean for a remarkably long time...
When I was buying my 2016, they were offering 0% on them. The only base/PP car they had was Triple Yellow, but I wanted white. I was really not sure about the color when I bought it.

Triple yellow looks fantastic dirty, and isn't too bad showing scratches and such. I really like it, and would order the color today.

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
When I was buying my 2016, they were offering 0% on them. The only base/PP car they had was Triple Yellow, but I wanted white. I was really not sure about the color when I bought it.

Triple yellow looks fantastic dirty, and isn't too bad showing scratches and such. I really like it, and would order the color today.
That is a nice color; it reminds me of the color of the 1970 Torino GT my dad once owned.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I have had a black 15 for 3 years and am very tired of having to keep it under a car cover to keep from having to wash it every 2 freaking days! One of the reasons I'm getting an 18 honestly. Decided to get Silver this time! Ordered mine today, congrats on ordering yours!

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Congrats, my last car (2015 V6 Mustang) was black and it looked great but it got dirty really fast. Waterspots, swirlmarks, dust...make sure you stay on top of keeping it spotless.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Magnaride is not intended for those serious track junkies. Meaning, if you plan to track your car often or full time, I'd say don't get it. If it's an occasional thing, I'd get magnaride.

Those serious track junkies know there's better options for full time track use. They need all sorts of adjustability from height to rebound amongst other things.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Magneride on the GT350 is very good IMO, of course results may vary based on tuning, but here are some potential characteristics the mageride is able to allow:

1. Comfortable street setting
2. More hardcore track setting (without magneride, the MFR is forced to find a middle ground)
3. Adjustable damping based on steering angle (can reduce the speed of body roll)
4. Adjustable damping based on braking force (can reduce the feeling of brake dive)
5. Adjustable damping based on acceleration (can reduce front-end lift)

The magneride allows for many modalities of control that are not available to traditional shocks, no matter how good those are.

It is true that the range of adjustment may be less than a traditional shock, and it may be true that replacement or repair is more expensive, but for a multi purpose car the magneride seems to work extremely well.

The GT350 is a fairly large, heavy car, but it feels much smaller and lighter than its numbers would suggest, and I think part of that is due to the tuning of the magneride.

If I were ordering a 2018, I would definitely get the option. I am assuming Ford will have various modes to increase the damping. On the GT350 I like "sport" for most occasions.

-T

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Black isnt that bad if you can park it in the garage when its at your house. Also if you keep it waxed the water and dirt wont stick as much to it so it looks cleaner longer. And weather matters too, less rain less dirt. If you cant do some of those things then Id go for a lighter color.

As of mag ride Id go for it over digital dash or active exhaust. I think its one of the reasons for even getting an 18.
Sponsored