Sponsored

2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE vs. 2018 base GT comparably equipped (cost analysis)

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Out of curiosity (and the sticker shock over the priciness of the 2018 Mustang), I decided to compare the costs of a 1SS 1LE and GT with options that line up with the 1LE package (that means perf pkg, magna ride, active exhaust, etc.) I'm using the base GT because that lines up with the 1SS.

1SS - $37,000
1LE - $6,500 - Includes:
RECARO® performance front bucket seats
Satin Black rear blade spoiler
Satin Black hood wrap
Magnetic Ride Control™
Performance-tuned suspension
Satin Black front splitter
Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD)
Brembo® front and rear performance brakes
Sueded microfiber-wrapped shift knob
Tire inflator kit
Sueded microfiber-wrapped steering wheel
Performance exhaust
Goodyear® Eagle® F1 SuperCar G:2 285/30R20 front and 305/30R20 rear, summer-only tires
20" Satin Graphite forged-aluminum wheels with summer-only tires
Head-Up Display

Destination - $995

Net Price - $44,495

2018 Mustang GT - $35,095
301A - $2000 (to approximate 1SS features)
GT Perf Pkg - $3995 Includes
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
Active Valve perf exhaust - $895
MagneRide - $1695
(Recaros are N/A)
(Forged wheels - 647 - unsure if added cost above std PP wheel)
Destination - $900

Net Price $44,580 At minimum (if 647 no cost option)
Sponsored

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
No cost analysis will balance the fact that you can't see out the back of a Camaro :doh:

Sponsored

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Maybe relevant to you, but not to most people - 1LE is far ahead of regular PP GT, they're not comparable _at all_.
Sure - I did this more as an exercise for myself because I'm cross shopping the two vehicles. And price is big consideration in what I will buy.

Who knows what the PP2 will entail.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Who knows what the PP2 will entail.
Exactly why it's a pointless comparison. Ford is coming out with a better performance package that will MORE DIRECTLY compete with the 1LE vs what you're trying to put together.

What if pp2 comes with 1LE competing performance for less than the grouped packages you're spending all this time analyzing?

We know 2 things. 1. pp2 will be an available option. 2. it will be better than the sum of the options you put together. Knowing these, why continue on...

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
It's not pointless to me because I'm cross shopping the two - even though I know the two cars have somewhat different characteristics. As for the PP2, I would imagine it would be more expensive than the "regular" PP. But once we know, I'd like to do the same analysis for the PP2.

Sponsored

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Exactly why it's a pointless comparison. Ford is coming out with a better performance package that will MORE DIRECTLY compete with the 1LE vs what you're trying to put together.

What if pp2 comes with 1LE competing performance for less than the grouped packages you're spending all this time analyzing?

We know 2 things. 1. pp2 will be an available option. 2. it will be better than the sum of the options you put together. Knowing these, why continue on...
To me it is a very interesting comparison since we don't know how Ford will price the PP2. If the GT pp msrp is already more than the 1LE your "what if" is highly unlikely to be the case. The PP2 almost has to be more, possibly way more than a 1LE. On top of that its still a huge question mark as to how close the two will perform. Its almost certain the PP2 will sport a size narrower tire front and rear compared to the 1LE. Ford will have to hit a home run to justify any sizable price difference between the PP2 and 1LE imho of course.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
15-17...you're right not comparable.

Add in the new goodies for the 18+ PP, including Magnaride and the new Michelin tires and the Mustang will close the gap with the 1LE in a hurry...not to mention the PP2 and whatever that may be.

Maybe relevant to you, but not to most people - 1LE is far ahead of regular PP GT, they're not comparable _at all_.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Out of curiosity (and the sticker shock over the priciness of the 2018 Mustang), I decided to compare the costs of a 1SS 1LE and GT with options that line up with the 1LE package (that means perf pkg, magna ride, active exhaust, etc.) I'm using the base GT because that lines up with the 1SS.

1SS - $37,000
1LE - $6,500 - Includes:
RECARO® performance front bucket seats
Satin Black rear blade spoiler
Satin Black hood wrap
Magnetic Ride Control™
Performance-tuned suspension
Satin Black front splitter
Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD)
Brembo® front and rear performance brakes
Sueded microfiber-wrapped shift knob
Tire inflator kit
Sueded microfiber-wrapped steering wheel
Performance exhaust
Goodyear® Eagle® F1 SuperCar G:2 285/30R20 front and 305/30R20 rear, summer-only tires
20" Satin Graphite forged-aluminum wheels with summer-only tires
Head-Up Display

Destination - $995

Net Price - $44,495

2018 Mustang GT - $35,095
301A - $2000 (to approximate 1SS features)
GT Perf Pkg - $3995 Includes
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
Active Valve perf exhaust - $895
MagneRide - $1695
(Recaros are N/A)
(Forged wheels - 647 - unsure if added cost above std PP wheel)
Destination - $900

Net Price $44,580 At minimum (if 647 no cost option)
I owned a ppgt but if i was in the market for one i would skip it and definitely get a camaro 1le. You can get one even below 40 grand and that is not going to be the case for a similarly equipped 2018 mustang gtpp. Even if the price comes out the same, the question becomes will Ford let a gtpp rival their gt350 in performance? Because an ss 1le certainly does ( At least the base gt350)!

I was actually waiting for the 2018 gt as well but with the current pricing i will be getting a slightly used c7 or a used ZL1! Never used the back seat in my mustang and certainly not spending 50 grand on a car which will loose significant value in couple of months and can be seen everywhere including car rentals! I think its time to show Ford that what matters is not the sales but customer satisfaction! The direction they are going will also bring the sales down.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I can't see Ford pricing the PP2 above the 1LE since assuming all other things are equal, the Mustang is still down 35 ft lb of tq and will still weigh more. Also unlikely that Ford will make the Recaros standard in the PP2 trim.

I hope I'm wrong and the new PP2 kicks the 1LE's ass but GM did a great job with that car. They don't care if it steps on it's big brother's toes so hopefully Ford takes the same approach in regards to the GT350.

ISHLISS

Chevy & Ford Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro LT1
I can't see Ford pricing the PP2 above the 1LE since assuming all other things are equal, the Mustang is still down 35 ft lb of tq and will still weigh more. Also unlikely that Ford will make the Recaros standard in the PP2 trim.

I hope I'm wrong and the new PP2 kicks the 1LE's ass but GM did a great job with that car. They don't care if it steps on it's big brother's toes so hopefully Ford takes the same approach in regards to the GT350.

Have we seen anything about weight savings?? This hasn't ever crossed my mind til now. :confused:
Sponsored