Potential first time mustang buyer looking for other member opinions

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
Hello
Just as a little intro as this is my first post in this forum

My name is Einar and live all the way in Iceland. I have been seriously looking into buying a S550 Mustang GT for sometime now in the US, and import it to Iceland.( not really sold in Iceland, and if so then priced skyhigh) only one car in the country.

Anyway.
I guess you can say I am fairly experienced around fast cars, but mostly been in the 4cyl turbo game.
I am getting 40 years old next year and actually have been out of the for the last 8 years. but want something more mature than I have been in before.

So I would want to experience owning an American V8 and also prefer the 15-17 cars ( the end of the line of port injected engines) before they add all the complexity of the direct injected stuff.
Also want a car that will holds its "class" for more than 2-3 years, so to speak.

So the S550 with styling that I think will age well, proven V8( port injected engine) IRS suspension and overall good value, it ticks all my boxes. And now when the refreshed "18 model around the corner. The right time to be a buyer of the "old stuff" is around the corner of when dealers want to get rid of there "17 models. So I am seriously looking into this.

But, over the last month, I have been emailing dealers, and asking straight questions, and what you get in return is the same bullshit all the time. For exp I tell them I live in Iceland, and they are asking me when I could come in and take a test drive!!
But the main thing is, it is impossible to get them to tell you what the out the door price is.
I know advertised price is one thing and then out the door other. But also the ones I have got a response from are not willing to sell my a car without I pay registration and sale tax, and that is simply flushing money down the toilet for me. The car will be shipped out of the country.
They talk about not being allowed to sell a car that will not be registered in the USA or something. So I guess, I am forced to stick with buying used, where on the plus side you don't have to deal with all the dealership bullshit and nothing is added to the price.

Living in a country that does not have any race tracks only a drag strip, I guess many would say my preference of buying a Performance pack car is not what I should be aiming for .
But I want to have it manual and my plan is to have a solid balanced performing car on the street ( no supercharger)
So stuff like 3,73 gears ,Brembo brakes and the PP black wheels that look great with the Magnetic gray color is worth the extra money and maybe the suspension upgrade, but not sure after reading the mixed reviews on that. But my plan anyway is to mod it lightly before it gets shipped to Iceland.

What I have been thinking about for mods after little bit of research is.
Ford performance Power pack stage 2
I guess a catback exhaust,( something not too loud and no drone and gives as classic as possible American V8 sound)
Having only been able to listen to different exhaust sounds in Youtube videos, I have started to have a good feeling for the Solo performance MACH XV as you are getting a catback for around the same a Borla wants for a pair of there mufflers. And if this system of Solo works to eliminate drone without the weight of having 2 big muffler, it is a quite a big of weight saving there.

Suspension work I guess I would add the BMR Cradle Lockout Kit & Steeda Vertical Links but lowering springs are a dilemma because I live in a country that loves speedbumps. and having to have to crawl over the bumps hoping you to not scratch the bumper get old fast if you use the car more than once a week or something, and even though this will be my 2nd car it will be driven not a garage queen. But if there are springs with a only little bit of drop and improve the ride, I might go with that, because a little lower gives it a cooler look. Also I read somewhere shorting the bump stop is a cheap way to improve the ride quality.

then I guess I will go with a Barton Hybrid 3 short shifter and change the transmission fluid to BG syncro shift II. after reading about that.

Other stuff that comes to my mind are mostly little cosmetic stuff like possible adding 23/25MM wheel spacers and remove the chrome emblems at least switch the 5.0 to black and then the emblems on the front and back more grayish or black chrome or something.

Then I have a dilemma if i want a car with the Recaros or not. The Recaros look cool but it is very hard to find a base model with PP and Recaros. But I guess the standard seat all you need for a street car and are I guess more practical also.

Thank for reading and looking forward to hearing your guys opinions and I should do or not do regarding the mods
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just read this entire site, and make your own decisions. You don't need other people to tell you what to do to your car.

Also, no new 2017s are being made, so it's not a question of buying what you want, but of buying what you can find. And you'd better hurry, they're going fast.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
The performance package is a no brainer in terms of cost/benefit.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
First there are 5 states that do not charge sales tax, so you can get from one of those to avoid the taxes. They are:

Alaska
Montana
Oregon
New Hampshire
Delaware

If you buy from a dealer in one of those states (obviously Delaware and New Hampshire would be the most convenient.

The Performance Pack is a good value if you plan to drive without racing, but it is not necessary. Mine does not have it but I can still have plenty of fun. I cannot speak to the mods that you are considering, as my car is basically stock, but I can say that I am strongly considering the PP2 and I personally hated the Recaros, as someone with a wider rib cage they were extremely uncomfortable for me. The stock leather seats are the perfect balance of comfort and support for the driving that I do.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I just bought a 2017 GT Premium Magnetic with the black appearance package. I am in Canada and had to travel 1200 kms away to find the closest car that matched my "needs".

Look at Canadian dealers, some have stock on their lots they need to move. I got a huge rebate decided to jump on it.

I know there is a beautiful California Special in Edmonton as well, Magnetic 6 speed, very aggressively priced. I can PM contact info if you're interested.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Life is short. Every now and then you've got to treat yourself to something nice. Choose the mods on the basis of how often you will drive the car. If you drive it everyday think if the Recaros will be a problem for entry and egress.

Get the Performance Pkg. for the brakes-at the very minimum

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
Car sales are down in the US. Dealers are dealing. In Florida,there are some great deals to be had. I am in the process of trading my 3-month old Ecoboost with 900 miles for a GT w/Perf. Pkg. I have talked to 3 dealers and every one is offering me what I paid for the Ecoboost as trade in value. I got a great deal on it back in June but usually they try to bend you over on trade-in value. So deals are out there. As an example, I found a great deal about 3 hours away and when I contacted my local dealer about a refund for my extended warranty on the EB,he asked if he could locate the car I wanted and beat the price I had by $500. A hour later he called back and said he did!

OP
OP

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
My wife and I visited Iceland for 2 weeks, did the ring road plus the snaefellsnes peninsula. Absolutely amazing country. I think we saw 2 Mustangs the whole time, an 03-04 Mach 1 in torch red and a S197 Mustang GT.

How does registration work in Iceland for imported cars? Good luck finding what you want there's deals to be had on the 2017's.
Hello, thanks for the reply. Nice to hear you liked visiting Iceland. I guess you understand why I am concerned with lowering the ride height!!
Iceland= speedbump heaven.

There is no issue with registration for US imported cars in Iceland. But the big issue and the one the ends many dreams today for car enthusiast is that import taxes are based on CO2 and the scale is ridiculous. Basically everything that got an engine get 55-65% tax( GT mustang 65%) and then you add 24% sales tax!!!!!!. on top of everything.
So basically a $30K mustang will be a $60K!!!!! when on the road here in Iceland.
The import taxes got CO2 based in 2009 or so. So very few vehicles with big engine or high horsepower have been imported since.

There used to be a lot of US imported cars in the past and it peaked during the years of 2005-7.
So there is quite a bit of 4.6 liter S197 GT's, my friend has one that has a 5.0 stroker and procharger and lot of mods and is running the quarter at 10.2. But he has to refresh the stock transmission every year and that car is not seeing a lot of miles per year, mostly used just to drag race.

For me, I really never got interested in Mustangs until the S550 came out, because I have the feeling the S550 is a much better driver than the older ones and to me a much,much better looking car.

One mentioned, why I didn't go to Germany to buy one, That will make it even more expensive than import from US. Also US is much cheaper if I want to buy and install the mods before it gets shipped to Iceland.

One replied with a list of states that have 0% sales tax. But I checked with a dealer in New Hampshire and he said, he can not sell to non US resident.
From my knowledge you pay sales tax in the state you are registered in. So the only way I could buy a new Mustang is to have my brother be the buyer( he lives in New Jersey) and he would need to pay 6-7% sales tax and if I would want to use the car for a month or 2 I would need to pay something ridiculous in insurance, because New Jersey is a horrendous state when it comes to stuff like car insurance.

So, I even though deals can be mate on new ones, I think I am forced to look only at the used ones, but the thing is, the used on are priced to high in comparison to the current deals on new ones.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Had my ford dealer import my mustang to my country. Do you have a ford dealer in iceland? Get the car you want life is short buddy.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
For exp I tell them I live in Iceland, and they are asking me when I could come in and take a test drive!!
HAHAHAHA I can totally see an idiot salesmen saying that. :doh:

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
Look into hiring an independant car broker.

They will negotiate the price for you, and usually they are better at it than you are. And also handle the post sale logistics of transporting the vehicle and securing insurance for the period in transit.

OP
OP

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
I like to start with saying thanks to all that spend their time replying. Because like the first replier said

Just read the the forums!

There is a truth in that, I guess I can find almost if not all the answers without asking a question.

But the true reason for my thread was to get other members that have experience with these cars, to hopefully share with me there opinion on some of the mods I would most likely be doing and if there is something that I maybe overlook, but should be on my list.

So the plan is to start with a base GT with performance pack

I guess the Ford Performance PP2 is a no brainer and considering the bang for the buck and adds horsepower where it is a true benefit on the street.

Witch catback exhaust is always a very personal opinion, but I am looking for something that gives you a solid and in a way refined sound, something that gives it the enough V8 rumble when you hit the gas, without really annoying the people around or make up the neighborhood at start up and so on.

So what I am considering other then the Solo performance Mach XV( maybe that is even more of a trumpet than I want) is the Borla touring from Borla with the resonator.
The Borla touring is only 2.5" but, isn't that all the exhaust you need if running close to stock power. Only PP2?
Running a set of 3" pipes on a NA motor , could that be considered a overkill, so is there any gain going to a 3" over 2,5" catback on a mostly stock engine?

Which lowering springs to go with. I saw that Steeda has recently released what the call minimum drop
( https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Minimum-Drop-Lowering-Springs--Linear-15-17_p_13494.html)

That could be what I am looking for. But I see many rate the BMR springs so I guess something like SP082 in the rear and SP089 in the front could also be an good option. But I do not want the car look higher in the front than the rear. So to speak.

Is there any difference in really in the vertical links from Steeda or BMR, but I have seen many recommend the Steeda link.

Then I have read about the Steeda clutch spring that is something that is highly recommended. So I guess that is something I should do

Then the BMR lockout is I guess a no brainer, considering how well it works and is much cheaper fix than what Steeda offers.

Then I have read that some recommend swap shocks to something like Koni yellows
( is that really something that I should be considering if I am only street driving the car. wouldn't the aftermarket lowering spring change the suspension feel quite a bit?)

Then I want to end with asking if running wheel spacers it something that is not wise to do or something that will affect the handling in any way.

Thanks
Einar

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I like to start with saying thanks to all that spend their time replying. Because like the first replier said

Just read the the forums!

There is a truth in that, I guess I can find almost if not all the answers without asking a question.

But the true reason for my thread was to get other members that have experience with these cars, to hopefully share with me there opinion on some of the mods I would most likely be doing and if there is something that I maybe overlook, but should be on my list.

So the plan is to start with a base GT with performance pack

I guess the Ford Performance PP2 is a no brainer and considering the bang for the buck and adds horsepower where it is a true benefit on the street.

Witch catback exhaust is always a very personal opinion, but I am looking for something that gives you a solid and in a way refined sound, something that gives it the enough V8 rumble when you hit the gas, without really annoying the people around or make up the neighborhood at start up and so on.

So what I am considering other then the Solo performance Mach XV( maybe that is even more of a trumpet than I want) is the Borla touring from Borla with the resonator.
The Borla touring is only 2.5" but, isn't that all the exhaust you need if running close to stock power. Only PP2?
Running a set of 3" pipes on a NA motor , could that be considered a overkill, so is there any gain going to a 3" over 2,5" catback on a mostly stock engine?

Which lowering springs to go with. I saw that Steeda has recently released what the call minimum drop
( https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Minimum-Drop-Lowering-Springs--Linear-15-17_p_13494.html)

That could be what I am looking for. But I see many rate the BMR springs so I guess something like SP082 in the rear and SP089 in the front could also be an good option. But I do not want the car look higher in the front than the rear. So to speak.

Is there any difference in really in the vertical links from Steeda or BMR, but I have seen many recommend the Steeda link.

Then I have read about the Steeda clutch spring that is something that is highly recommended. So I guess that is something I should do

Then the BMR lockout is I guess a no brainer, considering how well it works and is much cheaper fix than what Steeda offers.

Then I have read that some recommend swap shocks to something like Koni yellows
( is that really something that I should be considering if I am only street driving the car. wouldn't the aftermarket lowering spring change the suspension feel quite a bit?)

Then I want to end with asking if running wheel spacers it something that is not wise to do or something that will affect the handling in any way.

Thanks
Einar
Tomorrow morning,I am trading my 3 month old EB for a GT with Performance Package and Reverse Sensing for an out the door price of $30,400 in SW Florida. They also gave me what I paid for my EB and I got a great deal on it too.Many deals out there.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase