Sponsored

Sync Disconnected - can't pay audio anymore

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I was thinking the exact same thing about a toggle switch.

I'll also add that when mine started acting up, it also would not respond to any voice commands.
Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Bringing this back from the dead. I was cleaning out the car this weekend, and in the glovebox was a little pair of needle nose pliers to pull the Sync fuse periodically. It occurred to me that I haven't had to pull the fuse since I did the update last June. But the update was a journey in and of itself. As I wrote up on another car forum at the time, as part of a bigger rant about the overall suckiness of Sync:

1. Maybe it needs an update? Ooh, look; there's one available. I download it, format my USB drive exFAT as instructed, put the files on it, and go plug it in. "Device Not Supported." Try the other USB slot; same message. Format a different USB drive, try again, no go. You have got to be kidding me.

Wondering why my USB stick with the music works just fine, and afraid to ruin it by putting the update on it, I plug it into my computer. Lo and behold, it's formatted FAT32. I try again with the update, formatted FAT32, and it works. The can't even get the blanking instructions right. Not sure if the update will actually fix anything, though. The list of changes is mostly around new features. You'd think they'd try and fix it, before making the steaming pile of poo bigger.

And this one still kills me. It was definitely not fixed by the update:
3. If I'm listening to music on a USB drive or via bluetooth, and turn off the car, how come the next time I start it up, the radio is playing? But the screen says I'm playing a song from the USB or bluetooth device? And punching the "Media" button switches to another media source, not the device being displayed. Did the designers actually try to make it not work right, as a joke or something?

OP
OP

fogus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, DI Blue, Base
Bringing this back from the dead. I was cleaning out the car this weekend, and in the glovebox was a little pair of needle nose pliers to pull the Sync fuse periodically. It occurred to me that I haven't had to pull the fuse since I did the update last June. But the update was a journey in and of itself. As I wrote up on another car forum at the time, as part of a bigger rant about the overall suckiness of Sync:

1. Maybe it needs an update? Ooh, look; there's one available. I download it, format my USB drive exFAT as instructed, put the files on it, and go plug it in. "Device Not Supported." Try the other USB slot; same message. Format a different USB drive, try again, no go. You have got to be kidding me.

Wondering why my USB stick with the music works just fine, and afraid to ruin it by putting the update on it, I plug it into my computer. Lo and behold, it's formatted FAT32. I try again with the update, formatted FAT32, and it works. The can't even get the blanking instructions right. Not sure if the update will actually fix anything, though. The list of changes is mostly around new features. You'd think they'd try and fix it, before making the steaming pile of poo bigger.

And this one still kills me. It was definitely not fixed by the update:
3. If I'm listening to music on a USB drive or via bluetooth, and turn off the car, how come the next time I start it up, the radio is playing? But the screen says I'm playing a song from the USB or bluetooth device? And punching the "Media" button switches to another media source, not the device being displayed. Did the designers actually try to make it not work right, as a joke or something?
1. I had my upgrade done by the dealer, so I didn't hit the formatting problem.
2. Was there a #2?
3. I get around this by turning off the radio before turning off the car. This works because the logic that the "which input source to use?" goes like this:

Code:
If radio was on when car was turned off:
    If bluetooth was connected:
        Try to connect to bluetooth
        If bluetooth fails to immediately connect:
            Switch to the radio!  Radio always works!
Else (radio was off when car was turned off):
    Do this until the user turns on the radio manually:
        Try to connect to bluetooth

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
1. I had my upgrade done by the dealer, so I didn't hit the formatting problem.
2. Was there a #2?
3. I get around this by turning off the radio before turning off the car. This works because the logic that the "which input source to use?" goes like this:
#3 is not entirely correct. About 1 out of 5 times, it will wait patiently until my phone connects, and proceed with the bluetooth playing. In other words, it occasionally works right.

I had 8 total. Nos. 4 and 6 seem to have been fixed with the update also.
Edited for language:

2. Like many others, about every 3 months, I have to pull the fuse so my bluetooth and voice commands will start working again. Really? The voice commands are one of the primary "features" of Sync. And you put out a design that fails, and requires disconnecting the power to fix?

4. Randomly, the "911 Assist" message stays on, and won't go away until I push the menu button. And it actually takes me to the menu, so I have to punch it again to exit out. If I turn the 911 assist off, every freakin' time I start the car it warns me that if I don't turn it on, I risk certain death or something.

5. I only use the USB 1 and Bluetooth. When I use the media button to switch between them, I have to go through USB 2. Why does it take multiple seconds and button pushes to bypass USB2? Yes, I know there's no device connected. There's never been a freaking device connected there. That's why I'm trying to leave and go to Bluetooth. But I can't leave; it's like it's mocking me, daring me to install something in USB2. It's trying to be the Hotel California of inputs.

6. Now this next one's only happened a couple of times, but still, how hard is it to get THE VOLUME operating correctly? I finish listening to a podcast via bluetooth, and switch to the radio. The volume is turned up a bit due to the podcast. The radio come on, and now the volume control doesn't work. Neither the steering wheel button nor the volume knob work. The freaking volume. The volume knob has been around since the turn of the century. THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. And they somehow screwed it up.

7. To rub it in that I'm stuck with the suckiest factory stereo on the road today, they designed it so I have to jump through flaming hoops of fire like a circus tiger to install and aftermarket option.

8. Lastly, when I press the "Voice" button on the steering wheel, and tell Sync it's the biggest, stinkiest, most worthless pile of poo since the Yugo, and it needs to go fornicate with itself, it's only response is "Say a command." It doesn't even give me the satisfaction of feeling shame for its gold-level suckiness. I never thought I'd miss the AM/FM 8-track player from the '72 Lincoln I had in high school (still had the demo 8-track in the glove box with Elvis and Sinatra on it). But Sync has managed to make it happen.
Sponsored