Sponsored

C7 Vette to 2018 Mustang?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Was curious to get opinions, especially if someone has been in a similar situation to me (Corvette to Mustang).

First, I really love my C7. The car is so much fun to drive and it is my first American car (prior to that drove lots of Japanese sports cars and some German). I am in love with the V8 engine (mine has an Xpipe and NPP exhaust). My C7 is a 2016 Z51 with magride and a 7 speed manual.

So why sell a car you really like? Two reasons. One my wife's dream car is a Jeep Wrangler (she drives a Honda Odyssey which we have to keep). I have the C7 and a Honda Fit. If I sell both, based on KBB value, I could pickup a $40K or so Mustang GT and a newer Wrangler. My wife has made a ton of sacrifices and I thought it would be great to surprise her this year with the Wrangler.

Second reason, we have three kids and I find myself 2-3 days a week now having to run straight from work to dance, ice skating, or parkour... I need a backseat as none of them are big enough to sit in the front of the Corvette safetly. That means I end up driving the Fit way more than I want and I could drive the Mustang almost every day. I have put about 4K miles on the C7 in the past year and, in all honesty, it kills me not to drive it and have to drive a Honda Fit.

With the Wrangler I can garage the Mustang on the bad weather days (live in New England) but would likely get dedicated winters for the Mustang anyway.

Thoughts? I did drive a 2015 Mustang GT when they came out and liked it quite a bit. I am thinking 2018 GT Premium with performance pack. I do plan to track the car 2-3 times per year so the PP just makes sense.

Obviously I need to test drive one soon, but would love some thoughts and opinions (realizing I am on a Ford forum).

Oh one question. For the non-Premium GT's does the smaller head unit/receiver still have Apple Carplay? Or do you have to step up to Sync3 to get that?
Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
DYou need the 301A package for sync 3 Android auto / Apple car play. The 301A is a base GT with cloth seat with the premium shaker radio and other feature like the selectable drive mode. You can order the performance pack with the 301A package.

I had a 2015 base GT with the base radio. My only complaint about the car was the radio. Phone call was hard to hear with my exhaust. The 9 speaker system of the 301a 400a 401a is much better.
I have a 2018GT on order with the 301A package

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Hi and welcome as a potentially new Mustang owner :) I see a tie here

Pros:
- Happy wife
- Happy wife
- Happy wife

Cons:
- Bringing a 2018 GT close to C7 performance level will probably cost you more than $40k
- You have 3 kids and none of them is big enough to sit in the front - Mustang only fits 2 in the back
- Wrangler has less space than a Honda Odyssey (you can install third row seats in the wrangler but I think it eliminates the trunk space)

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Pros:
- Happy wife
- Happy wife
- Happy wife

Cons:
- Bringing a 2018 GT close to C7 performance level will probably cost you more than $40k
- You have 3 kids and none of them is big enough to sit in the front - Mustang only fits 2 in the back
- Wrangler has less space than a Honda Odyssey (you can install third row seats in the wrangler but I think it eliminates the trunk space)
More than 40k in modifications is very exaggerated. It takes a lot less than that to make a 2015-2017 Mustang perform like a c7 and the 2018 Mustang pp1 is better in every way to previous year.

Last edited:
OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Pros:
- Happy wife
- Happy wife
- Happy wife

Cons:
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be honest, I don't expect the Mustang to match the Corvette. Especially at the track. I could see doing some performance mods down the road to the Mustang but nothing drastic as 90%+ of the time this car is not being driven on the track and the limits of a Mustang GT with PP are high...

Should have clarified. I rarely if ever have more than one kid with me. Prior to last year it was not an issue, but as the kids get older they are very active in sports and other activities which means my wife and I have to tag picking kids up. 2-3 times a week right after work for me so I can't drive the Corvette. Which sucks. But max I might have two kids and usually just one. My son will be thirteen this summer and will be able to ride in the front once he hits the weight requirements.

We are keeping the Odyssey. It's brand new (2018) and we need it when the whole family takes trips and it is a very safe vehicle. The Wrangler would be the third car for both my wife and I to share, but it's something she has wanted her whole life but has not been able to have.

Sponsored

OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
DYou need the 301A package for sync 3 Android auto / Apple car play. The 301A is a base GT with cloth seat with the premium shaker radio and other feature like the selectable drive mode. You can order the performance pack with the 301A package.

I had a 2015 base GT with the base radio. My only complaint about the car was the radio. Phone call was hard to hear with my exhaust. The 9 speaker system of the 301a 400a 401a is much better.
I have a 2018GT on order with the 301A package
That's really great info thanks. I like the idea of the new digital dash as my Corvette has it and I love it. But a GT with PP1 and the 301A package might be a great buy. Being honest I usually prefer cloth seats to leather.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's really great info thanks. I like the idea of the new digital dash as my Corvette has it and I love it. But a GT with PP1 and the 301A package might be a great buy. Being honest I usually prefer cloth seats to leather.
I prefer cloth seat also. I may have got the digital dash but unfortunately like you know it's only available with the big 401A package. That's come with a lot of feature I don't want including leather seat. I don't want to pay for stuff I don't want just to get the digital dash. Thanks Ford LOL

The C7 is great car but the 2 seater is a no go for me and my 2 primary school children. Maybe in a few year :D

Ed2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
While I haven't driven the 2018 GT... I'd imagine it's similar to the 2016 GT I drive now.

I've also extensively driven the C7. So I'd say you're making the right move (I went with the mustang for the same reason), the mustang is just a more practical car. You can drive it anywhere, while the C7 has several large limitations. My biggest issue was parking the C7... I was always afraid to parallel park it due to the low nose.

You'll notice the lack of power in the mustang vs. the corvette. That can be remedied with mods, but after awhile the difference becomes less noticeable. The mustang is fast enough, and the less horsepower actually means you can (at least imo) have more fun driving it day to day. It has more usable power.

Besides the power, the mustang doesn't handle as well as the corvette (there may be less difference on the 2018), but that again can be remedied with some suspension mods. I went with the ford track handling pack and my car feels plenty nimble in the turns now.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll enjoy the mustang.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thoughts? I did drive a 2015 Mustang GT when they came out and liked it quite a bit. I am thinking 2018 GT Premium with performance pack. I do plan to track the car 2-3 times per year so the PP just makes sense.
A Mustang is NOT a sports car, it is a GT or Grand Touring car, a Sports Coupe.

It will never be like your Corvette, never drive like it, and you can't have that expectation. You should think of a Mustang like a cheap Aston Martin, a car with space, pace and grace, but it's not a sports car. It's relatively comfortable, spacious, quiet with the stock exhaust. Something you can jump in and drive hundreds of miles in very comfortably.

Be clearer on that you mean by "track". Do you mean the drag strip? Or an actual road course?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
More than 40k is very exaggerated. It takes a lot less than that to make a 2015-2017 Mustang perform like a c7 and the 2018 Mustang pp1 is better in every way to previous year.

Hmmm...a 2018 GT with 301A and PP is $41,990 (Magneride another $1,695, if the OP does not want to lose this feature coming from the C7), plus tax, etc. and maybe other mods like exhaust (if OP doesn't opt for active exhaust, which would be another $895) t. I don't think $40k+ is very exaggerated. Ok, this does not include discounts or picking up one that's on the dealership lot already.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be honest, I don't expect the Mustang to match the Corvette. Especially at the track. I could see doing some performance mods down the road to the Mustang but nothing drastic as 90%+ of the time this car is not being driven on the track and the limits of a Mustang GT with PP are high...

Should have clarified. I rarely if ever have more than one kid with me. Prior to last year it was not an issue, but as the kids get older they are very active in sports and other activities which means my wife and I have to tag picking kids up. 2-3 times a week right after work for me so I can't drive the Corvette. Which sucks. But max I might have two kids and usually just one. My son will be thirteen this summer and will be able to ride in the front once he hits the weight requirements.

We are keeping the Odyssey. It's brand new (2018) and we need it when the whole family takes trips and it is a very safe vehicle. The Wrangler would be the third car for both my wife and I to share, but it's something she has wanted her whole life but has not been able to have.

Ok, gotcha. Yeah, as somebody else mentioned (and you expect), the C7 is a true sports car and the Mustang a Gran Turismo, but yet quite capable. I'd go 2018 GT, make the wife happy, and share the Mustang experience with your kids in the back and front seat :thumbsup: But what do you expect? You're on a Mustang forum ;)

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
You'll notice the lack of power in the mustang vs. the corvette. That can be remedied with mods, but after awhile the difference becomes less noticeable. The mustang is fast enough, and the less horsepower actually means you can (at least imo) have more fun driving it day to day. It has more usable power.

2018 Corvette

Horsepower

455 @ 6000

Torque

460 @ 4600

2018 Mustang

2018 GT makes 460 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque,

OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
A Mustang is NOT a sports car, it is a GT or Grand Touring car, a Sports Coupe.

It will never be like your Corvette, never drive like it, and you can't have that expectation. You should think of a Mustang like a cheap Aston Martin, a car with space, pace and grace, but it's not a sports car. It's relatively comfortable, spacious, quiet with the stock exhaust. Something you can jump in and drive hundreds of miles in very comfortably.

Be clearer on that you mean by "track". Do you mean the drag strip? Or an actual road course?
Yes, I get that. The Mustang will weigh more. It will be less nimble on a track, I don't doubt that. Just for reference prior to my C7 I drove a Golf R and the two cars prior to that were WRX and a BRZ. The BRZ was more of a pure sports car but was severly underpowered. The WRX and Golf R were fun cars but I see the Mustang GT being more sporty than both and just enough room to haul a kid or two for short drives.

As for track I mean road course and Auto-X. I don't really drag race. But again, we are talking 2-3 times per year and while I would love to keep the C7 for track days the reality is the other 95% of the time I am not at the track and the C7, and even a Mustang GT, is more car than the roads and speed limit/laws allow..

But duly noted. I really need to drive a 2018 Mustang with Performance Pack. I may just decide to keep the Corvette and wait and buy a Wrangler in a year or two when the C7 is completely paid off. I still owe about $20K on the car.

OP
OP

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Hmmm...a 2018 GT with 301A and PP is $41,990 (Magneride another $1,695, if the OP does not want to lose this feature coming from the C7), plus tax, etc. and maybe other mods like exhaust (if OP doesn't opt for active exhaust, which would be another $895) t. I don't think $40k+ is very exaggerated. Ok, this does not include discounts or picking up one that's on the dealership lot already.
I am pretty sure I can get a 2018 GT Premium with a manual and performance pack (and really no other options) for $40-41K. It will come down to trade in. Lucklily I would only pay taxes on the difference and my C7 will sell for more than the Mustang is worth so my taxes should be zero (just dealer fees, licence and registration, etc).

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you think driving around kids in the Mustang PP is doable and won't be a hassle, then it might not be a bad idea. But I find I can't really let the car loose when I have passengers and have as much fun. Also access to the rear tiny seats will be a pain day after day vs the fit. But if neither of the aforementioned necessarily ring true in your case, then it's just a matter of if the Mustang PP lives up to your requirements.

I personally found the Mustang PP to be lacking on the low end, especially compared to a Vette although the I preferred the shifter/gearing in a PP Mustang 10x more than the tall gearing/rubbery shifter in the C7. Supercharge the Mustang and it takes care of lack of low end.....big time :)

If it were me, I'd look for a leftover 2017 PP Mustang and save $10K.
Sponsored