Will the GT500 Have a DCT

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
Has Ford let on to if the GT500 will come with the DCT as an optional transmission, or will it be manual only?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ford haven't given us any clues other than it'll have 700 hp+

However, there are several members here who have good info and, yes, it'll have a DCT ;)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If it doesn't it will be much clearer just how heavy the hand of Jim Hackett really is. Thankfully, he became CEO at Ford after much of the development work on the GT500 was done.

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
Ford haven't given us any clues other than it'll have 700 hp+

However, there are several members here who have good info and, yes, it'll have a DCT ;)

Oh man, I hope that is true. If it is, I'll be la happy man! February 9th can't get here quick enough. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
The Tremec DCT is a fact, what my source is not telling me is whether it will be a manual available at all.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
If Hackett is somehow reading this.
keep your hands off the GT500. concentrate on your EVs.
Is there anything indicating that Hatchett will hamper any of the Mustang's developments? For all we know he's shifting the spend on the more popular segments ie SUVs from the passenger sedans. The Mustang doesn't fall under that as it's more of a niche product, as well as an icon and long time brand ambassador.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Is there anything indicating that Hatchett will hamper any of the Mustang's developments? For all we know he's shifting the spend on the more popular segments ie SUVs from the passenger sedans. The Mustang doesn't fall under that as it's more of a niche product, as well as an icon and long time brand ambassador.
You would never find out if he did sick the bean counters on it.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
You would never find out if he did sick the bean counters on it.
That is true, but all the speculation so far is based off what Ford has recently said, which is to stop the funding of a new Fusion. Nothing's been said about the Mustang. Maybe the guys here that are directly involved with Mustang's programs can confirm if they're effected. It'll save us the conjecture.
The panic is due to us expecting over 800hp then getting the news it's be closer to 700hp. This news coincides with Hackett's vision of more investment in SUVs and electrification at the expense of sedans. Most likely just a coincidence because there are a couple of good reasons why they wouldn't release it with 800+hp off the bat, one of which would be to leave room for improvement. There's a ceiling here they need to mindful of. What's next, a 1000hp vehicle for less than $100k?
The other being the extra exotic materials to cope with such outputs would result in a blown-out cost. A good example of this was the GT350 offered for low 50s, with an engine that although was capable of 600hp was reduced to what it is to keep costs down. How many Zeta Camaro Z/28 were still on the car lots waiting to be sold @ $75K?

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The Tremec DCT is a fact, what my source is not telling me is whether it will be a manual available at all.
While certainly not the smartest guy in the room, I suggested in a 8/24/17 post that the next GT500 may only be offered with an automatic.
A6, A10, DCT...I didn’t know.
It just seemed like common sense.

Sponsored

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
While certainly not the smartest guy in the room, I suggested in a 8/24/17 post that the next GT500 may only be offered with an automatic.
A6, A10, DCT...I didn’t know.
It just seemed like common sense.
I’m likely in the minority but without a manual I’m not interested. It may be a 10 sec car and lap Nurburgring like a GT3. But to me a mustang is a muscle car and requires a manual. Again I know I’m in the minority and will likely get shredded here. I hope I at least have the choice.

Last edited:

OSUbrew

Beach Bum
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I’m likely in the minority but without a manual I’m not interested. It may be a 10 sec car and lap Nurburgring like a GT3. But to me a mustang is a muscle car and requires a manual. Again I know I’m in the minority and will likely get shredded here. I hope I at least have the choice.
Same here, not interested at all if it doesn't come with a manual option.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The Mustang is a performance car, poure and simple.

It’s never meant to be a dyno queen, or a car with inefficient power you cant make use of. That’s just illogical.

It should be powerful, blazxing, fast, handle with the best of them, and in the realm of affordability.

If an auto is part of that equation, great.

However, the Mustang is an enthusiast car. And some enthusiasts like yourself have a certain feeling about manual transmissions. So it would be a surprise if there were no manual option. I think we can finally expect both.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
If it doesn't, then it will be due to reliability issues.
Sponsored