Sponsored

2018 MT82-D4 gearing?

DrDanimalSize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So far we know that the new MT-82 has a twin disc clutch, a dual mass flywheel, revised synchros, and 4th as the direct drive 1:1 ratio.

Anyone have any info on what the gear ratios actually are?

I've read and heard a lot about the A10, but very little about the M6.
Sponsored

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
First is about 3.3, second is about 2.05, and third is roughly 1.4, no idea about the rest (4th 1:1). Really terrible ratio spacing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Driving experience with it. Not digging it personally. The changes made were to maintain fuel economy and not performance driven.

http://www.fordnxt.com/features/car-features/first-drive-18-mustang-is-a-revelation-not-a-refresh/

From the Editor:

"In our driving, we couldn’t really notice the clutch effort, but it was immediately apparent the gear spacing was wider for better fuel economy and better orientation on the road course. We found it made the GT manual a bit lazy on the street, but we probably just didn’t have enough time to adjust our shifting habits.

From Ford:

“It does change the driveability around town. You end up using one gear down from what you would normally be using. The car doesn’t feel as snappy in Third, but if you use second it works,” Vehicle Dynamics Development Engineer Mike Del Zio said. “We did lose one ratio above one-to-one, because it was a direct Fifth and now it is a direct Fourth. Now it’s a double overdrive, which is how we were able to give you the 20 lb-ft, the 25 horse, and keep the same fuel economy.”

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
rut roh. So 2-6 are much wider, yet I remember reading somewhere, that 1 is shorter correct? Sounds like the worst of both worlds to me.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm thinking it sounds like a perfect candidate for a 3160 swap and then sell the D4 to a 15-17 owner.

Otherwise, @7400 rpm (in a PP1, no less)...

1st = 50mph
2nd = 80mph
3rd = 117mph
4th = 163mph

and PPL2...

1st = 47mph
2nd = 76mph
3rd = 111mph
4th = 155mph

Last edited:

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm thinking it sounds like a perfect candidate for a 3160 swap and then sell the D4 to a 15-17 owner.

Otherwise, @7400 rpm (in a PP1, no less)...

1st = 50mph
2nd = 80mph
3rd = 117mph
4th = 163mph

The rpm drop on 3-4 is going to be just awful.
I have a '15. From what I am seeing and reading I wouldn't want it. Am I missing something?

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
These gears sound straight up awful. And a rear gear change can help 2-6 but then first will be even more useless.

Makes me wonder then how quick PP2 will end up being afterall

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
These gears sound straight up awful. And a rear gear change can help 2-6 but then first will be even more useless.

Makes me wonder then how quick PP2 will end up being afterall
I believe it will depend on the track and the length of the straights vs. low speed corners.

The tires will make up some though as they will allow you to carry more speed through the turns due to the grip difference. They are also 1 1/2" shorter, so that will change the rear gear ratio to near 3.94 best I can tell. That will definitely pull the RPM's up. However, those tires are not streetable.

I might get shot for saying this, but I almost feel like they are attempting to make up for performance that is lost due to the gearing change (that minimizes the HP gain) by putting on the Cup 2 tires.

I would really like to see someone bolt on the PP1 wheels and tires to the PP2 and compare the track results to see where the real performance gain is coming from.

Either way, was feeling a little envious of the new tranny, but not anymore!

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
WTH Ford? The gear ratio's were about the only thing they did really good on the MT82. And now they go and change it for fuel economy? Fingers crossed that the PP2 will keep the 15-17 ratios.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
and better orientation on the road course.
Not sure why less underdrive gears is good for a road racing car like mentioned in the article, especially on a high revving low torque engine that needs to be kept at high RPMs to deliver power.

It's nice having a split gear between 3rd and 5th, gives me more options for gear choices. Now it's either 3rd or the 1:1 5th (now 4th).

Take 91mph for example. Without a tune to extend the fuel cutoff, you have to shift into the next gear which a 1:1 ratio brings you down to 4100rpm. In the current M82 with 5 forward gears, 91mph in 4th gear is at 5500rpm...much better.
Sponsored