Not open for further replies.

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
Yeah the drop in power from 2nd into 3rd really puzzled my coworker who test drove my car right after I got it.

Still hopeful for the Procal tune but most seem to have given up on the idea of it ever coming out.
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Wow, I had some idea it was cost driven, but I had no idea how much. I also suspected, as a degreed engineer myself (B.S. EE), that the ecoboost was making too much power and was purposefully detuned to make the a NA 5.0 legitimate product, at least stock. Now a blown 5.0 would certainly surpass a properly set up 2.3L, however Ford wants to see a NA 5.0 and a blown 2.3L, but if the blown 2.3L was runnining within 30~50 hp of the 5.0, it would be a hard sell for the 5.0.

While i'm severely frustrated at learning this about Ford and the 2.3L EB, especially since I paid the same as one of the posters ($25K) for a new 2016 EB, it makes me glad I followed my wife's advice to buy the base and mod itmyself since I wasn't going to be happy with the factory setups. This confirms the wisdom of doing so.

It also confirms the setup I suggested, but maybe throwing in a down pipe upgrade as well? I have about $1.7k I can throw into it max right now, I definitely am going to go for the CAI and tune (thinking Livernois / AirAid combo, but really want to keep the factory warranty so I may go with the Ford Racing ProCal / Ford Racing intake combo in August when ford releases it). Intercooler is also a must and is actually the most important upgrade fore reliability, it will give the engine a much larger margin before knock.

What's sad is this is not just one company doing it, BMW, Hyundai and pretty much any other automaker on the mass market is going to follow this strategy, but some to a higher degree than others. I wonder if subaru is doing that with the WRX or if the WRX is properly designed? I have a buddy here at work that has a 2015 WRX and he said he changed a few things right off the bat, like the shifter was poor feel / function and a few other minor things, but nothing like this that I"m aware of. Maybe I should have spent the extra cash on the suby...

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the drop in power from 2nd into 3rd really puzzled my coworker who test drove my car right after I got it.

Still hopeful for the Procal tune but most seem to have given up on the idea of it ever coming out.
I just spoke to Ford Performance today, they said August 1st is the expected release date. I think a minimum upgrade for the Mustang EB is going to be inter cooler at the very least, preferably with a CAI and Tune. At about $1250 it's not too bad of a hit to take on a new car, but gives use some very significant performance and more importantly reliability insurance.

Sponsored

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
I just spoke to Ford Performance today, they said August 1st is the expected release date. I think a minimum upgrade for the Mustang EB is going to be inter cooler at the very least, preferably with a CAI and Tune. At about $1250 it's not too bad of a hit to take on a new car, but gives use some very significant performance and more importantly reliability insurance.
Did they mention if they would sell the tune on its own? I just ordered a cpe IC.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they mention if they would sell the tune on its own? I just ordered a cpe IC.
No, I didn't ask but I'm sure they will.

Regarding the drop in power issue, I think the inter-cooler is a big culprit, the ECM software could also be part of the issue. Usually it's more than one thing rather than a "golden egg" so to speak.

I wonder if the auto EB stang has the same behaviour? I know some reviews got 13.9 out of, average seems to be 14~14.1 with some of the worst 1/4 mile times being 14.3 and 14.5.

Auto's are usually better on the drag strip (due to consistency), but to my knowledge cars in this power level are still prevalent manual for road coarse because you can spool up going into a turn. Although paddle shifting might help with that on auto like formula cars have.

It's such a shame because the gen 6 mustangs are so pretty...yet so inconsistent....

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The power drop is from the factory intercooler. It's well known to be a piece of crap, in regards to performance. Believe it or not, Ford didn't intend this car to be a GT. It's supposed to be a sporty car with decent mileage. I said that to say this, parts are going to have to be replaced to help the car perform consistently and at its full potential. If you want rid of the 2-3 performance degradation, install a front mount and your head will spin. Next to a tune, it's easily your next best mod. The ECU has a very heavy hand in pulling timing and other preventative measures to ensure the car doesn't go boom.

Get a good FMIC and a good tune (the Ford tune is gonna be weak sauce if their other stuff is of any comparison). It'll blow your mind. Also, in case you don't know, installing the Ford tune lowers your powertrain warranty to 3 yr./36k miles, so after either of those, you're done for in regards to warranty. I'd get a Cobb AP and a Protune (I suggest Adam), and if you need warranty work, flash back to stock and drive it for a little ways before taking it in. In doing so, you'll get a much better tune and still have the full 5 yr./60k mile warranty.

BOOSTED-SVO

In My Own Lane
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP SB M6
Hey Ron...I should be fine reusing stock clamps right? I rechecked the clamps today and everything look good and holding tight. Just want to be sure. Im OCD like that lol.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
My kind of OCD says cp-e clamps equals better clamps. That being said, it's just a clamp, stock ones will work just fine.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Yea.. I'm sure it's fine. Where in MD are you btw?
Harford County...was able to pick up cp-e Intercooler and down pipe at their shop. Nice facility, good people.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
If anyone was to happen to go used ecoboost shopping at Koons in Baltimore, MD, you might find a low mileage guard base 2016 auto. If it's the one a guy from Alabama traded in, you would find that it already has one of these intercoolers installed. They work great. Just figured I would put that out there...in fact, you would also find it has the plugs tune+ sells already installed.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
If anyone was to happen to go used ecoboost shopping at Koons in Baltimore, MD, you might find a low mileage guard base 2016 auto. If it's the one a guy from Alabama traded in, you would find that it already has one of these intercoolers installed. They work great. Just figured I would put that out there...in fact, you would also find it has the plugs tune+ sells already installed.
2016...check, eco...check, guard...check, cp-e intercooler...check, auto???...you just lost me :lol:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.