Not open for further replies.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I finally got around to installing my Intercooler today. Been setting in the garage for over a month and life kept getting in the way. Spent about six hours taking my time and working alone. I could do the next one in three with a friend helping. Pretty straight forward with good directions. CJ Pony parts and Mishmoto have good videos on Youtube.

CP-E unit appears to be about a third larger and three times heavier then the stock unit. Excellent build quality, shipped to my door for just over $500.00.

Looking forward to putting it to the test during the West Coast cruise to Cambria/Monterey at the end of the month.

Chris
Sponsored

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I have been running my CP-E intercooler since beginning of June. It is my only engine mod other than a filter upgrade in the stock CAI. There has been a very noticeable improvement in daily performance. Prior to installing the IC the car was very unpredictable in how responsive it would feel. Some days it felt strong, other days it would feel like it was struggling.

Now it has consistently felt strong. Even the last week with temps in upper 90's and humidity in the 90%+ range the car has still felt great even at the end of my long daily commute.

I am not tuned so I can not log or validate with any numbers, but really can feel a difference since making the IC switch.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I have been running my CP-E intercooler since beginning of June. It is my only engine mod other than a filter upgrade in the stock CAI. There has been a very noticeable improvement in daily performance. Prior to installing the IC the car was very unpredictable in how responsive it would feel. Some days it felt strong, other days it would feel like it was struggling.

Now it has consistently felt strong. Even the last week with temps in upper 90's and humidity in the 90%+ range the car has still felt great even at the end of my long daily commute.

I am not tuned so I can not log or validate with any numbers, but really can feel a difference since making the IC switch.
Sounds about right and you have the same idea I have. I noticed on cold days it's much peppier, but still somewhat un-predictable. That would be explained by heat soak. If temps are up, it's not going to make good power, the more saturated it becomes the lower the power output = not fun...

I have a Levels Street (Gen3) on order, UPR Catch can and some Brisk RR14YS silver plugs (ran their LGS plugs in the 07 Focus ST and boy it smoothed out that engine and also made very consistent power when combined with 93).

All these things will work together with the factory ECU tuning (until I ford releases their tune, which is warranty safe, albeit at reduced mileage) and allow the 2.3L to make it's rated power, gear after gear even in high ambient temps. That's what I had expected for a factory engine, but was sorely disappointed due to the factory IC.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Although I've only had mine in for the weekend, I'm seeing the exact same thing. Eight hours in 95 degree heat and traffic, same results. I was not expecting this much difference to be honest. I mostly just wanted better consistency and to distance myself from LSPI as far as possible. I do have Tune + plugs, but like you no tune. Very pleasantly surprised at this point.

Last edited:

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although I've only had mine in for the weekend, I I'm seeing the exact same thing. Eight hours in 95 degree heat and traffic, same results. I was not expecting this much difference to be honest. I mostly just wanted better consistency and to distance myself from LSPI as far as possible. I do have Tune + plugs, but like you no tune. Very pleasantly surprised at this point.
That's good to hear :-) Now hurry up Nick and build my Levels IC!!!

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I plan on installing mine tomorrow afternoon. About how much time will it take, assuming normal DIY competent shade tree mechanic skills and hand tools?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan on installing mine tomorrow afternoon. About how much time will it take, assuming normal DIY competent shade tree mechanic skills and hand tools?
I would say 2-4 hours depending on your skill and how speedy you set your pace.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
2-4 hours.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks. I have other plans for later on but do have over 4 hours free so cannot wait to dive in and get it done tomorrow!

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Watch videos on bumper and intercooler removal. And have the right tool(7mm ratchet wrench) for those two 7mm screws on the front bumper. That will keep install time well under four hours.

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Suggestions.

If you can get the front end at least six inches of the ground it will be much easier to reinstall the bottom cover. Using an electric screwdriver with a ninety degree angled chuck works great for all those fasteners underneath.

Having someone handy with a pair of gloves to help you raise the radiator assembly will be a big help wrestling the intercoolers out and in.

Make sure you have a T-25 handy for the MAP sensor.

Have fun.

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Took me about 6 hours, but that was 100% solo and it took me forever to get those fender to bumper metal screws out. As said above if you're taking it out from the bottom putting the front on ramps/stands is a big help.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Took me a solid 4 hours plus, maybe a little over, working solo. I did put it on ramps which helped immensely.

Those 7mm fender bolts kicked my butt and I don't see any way someone could do this in the shorter 2 hour window without some special 7mm tool (and a second person helping). I couldn't get a socket in there, there's no 7mm ratchet wrench I could find available near my location on a Sunday, so I took a normal small 7mm open/box end and bent it in half 90 degrees to fit it in there. That eventually got the job done but what a royal pain. I strongly recommend to anyone doing this to get that ratchet wrench ahead of time.

Concerning the actual product, wow what a difference in build quality. Once I got the OEM unit out and saw how cheaply it was made I was amazed. What a piece of crap. I took delivery of the Mustang Wednesday and am glad I didn't drive it far before upgrading the intercooler. The CPE unit is very well made and I am happy with my purchase.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I installed one of these last weekend. I have personally owned a Mishi and an ATM and will say I was impressed with the CPe intercooler.

It was also the easiest install by far. The method by which the brackets mount to the end tanks allows you to slip it right in then tighten the bolts up.

I would recommend a bit of locktite on all the bolts, otherwise it can be done in about 2 hours IMO (probably faster without interruption).

If you don't have an electric ratchet....get one! (it took me literally 2 seconds to take out those "pesky" 7mm screws).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.